All reviews full kitchen close to town perfect accommodation polynesian life self catering spent nights air conditioning public beach our honeymoon apartment laundry supermarket rapunzel lagoon stove refrigerator
Reviewed 9 August 2017

The best air-conditioned room you can find in Bora Bora!! Super clean and quaint with a great view. Gerard, the owner was an amazing host. He picked us up from the waterfront and brought us to the lodge, recommended restaurants, booked our excursions, and drove us to the beach. Gerard went above and beyond, and will try to accommodate any needs. We plan to go back!!!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie C
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Had two villas for family. Grown boys on hillside, parents on ground floor "waterfront" harborview, but next to the harbor fueling station. It is convenient walk to town as mentioned and Gerard did pick us up and had arranged excursions and car rental. He was not kind or even friendly after we arrived. So apparently we did not rate on his "to be treated nicely scale" like others in these reviews, even though we were not demanding and our older son speaks fluent French. THERE ARE NO washers, dryers, or ironing facilities available in the villas. That is completely misrepresented. I guess he does your laundry if you pester him, but it was not convenient and we were made to feel we were imposing the one time we finally washed our clothes in the sink and asked him to dry them in his dryer. We had NO WI FI whatsoever on the waterfront. The boys had hit and miss wi-fi in their room next to Gerard, but it worked about 25% of the time. Our kids would not even ask for more toilet paper, they were so sick of his attitude, so we went and bought some. THE BUGS...do not stay here if you are not bug-friendly. When he went in to show us our ground-floor villa, there were ants, hundreds of them running around under our bare feet. You are expected to remove shoes in Tahiti, so we were walking around in our bare feet on them. UGH! The side door into the villa was nailed shut and their was an inch gap under it. We immediately went to the store and bought bug spray and did our own extermination around the doorways and edge of rooms. We rarely saw any ants afterwards, but had the spray handy. The hillside villa had the worm things, lots of them. Weirdly enough, "trash can" was listed in amenities on our reservation, which we thought was funny, especially when there was not actually a trash can anywhere. The boys did have one in theirs. We kept our trash in a trash bag, which was provided, on the counter. Did not want to leave it out on floor to encourage ants. We also kept every scrap of food (bread, chips, cookies, etc.) in the fridge for the same reason. There was, as someone else has mentioned, very loud music all through the evening and until after 1 a.m. at the waterfront location.

We have stayed all over the world in condos, b and b's, resorts, hotels, motels, and an everything in between. We are not snobs or jerks and appreciate a clean room, a nice attitude, and having the amenities that were promised at booking. (See my review of our stay on Huahine, same trip. Very similar property, but highest of marks.)

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank ripperj
Gérard B, Gérant at Sunset Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

We were happy with the very good contact with you and your children, laundry, Wifi, everything apparently worked well, how could it be otherwise with members of your congregation ...

Hoping to see you again

Gérard

Reviewed 11 July 2017

The good:
- fabulous ocean view from the balcony that runs the length of the apartment
- very spacious
- beds and bedding are comfortable and clean
- a/c in the bedroom works well
- Gerard is a nice, helpful guy. He will pick you up and take you to the dock, do your laundry, arrange car rental and lagoon tours at a discount.

The bad:
- BUGS. If you don't like bugs, this isn't the place for you. When we checked in there were ants all over the kitchen counters and floors. Gerard said the previous guests left food out, and that was the problem. We put NO food on the kitchen counters (we only used the island which the ants hadn't found yet) and everyday there were still ants. If you dropped ONE crumb of food, suddenly there were too many ants to count. There were dozens of small flying roach looking bugs on the ceiling. They didn't buzz around much so weren't really a problem. Wasps were the problem. There are no screens on the windows and apparently there's a big wasp nest nearby. We closed the windows when we checked in and left them closed. My husband chased out 15 wasps the first day, and then each day, even though the windows stayed closed, more wasps appeared. I really don't like wasps and these were large. I talked to Gerard about the wasps and how to keep them out. He nicely lectured me on why we shouldn't kill the wasps (we didn't, even before the lecture) and how this was a good time to get over my fear of wasps. Uh … no. I respectfully disagree with Gerard's assertion that we should all live peacefully with wasps and all other bugs. If you went near a wasp nest, do you think they would be at peace with that? No. They don't want you near their home either.
- The whole place needs a little TLC. A coat of paint, replacing burned out light bulbs, etc.
- It's pretty bare bones. We got one bath towel each for our stay, not enough toilet paper, no hand towels.
- NOISE. Someone nearby blasted music every single afternoon into the night.
- There's a gas station right next door. Not a big deal but that's what you see when you look out the kitchen window, and often there are gas fumes wafting your way.
- Wifi was painfully undependable.

The dilemma: Bora Bora is expensive. Gerard offers a budget option. If he were to remodel the apartment, he would undoubtedly have to charge a lot more. So it is what it is. If you're ok with bugs and the cheap motel vibe, this place might be perfect for you. If you feel about wasps the way I do, stay somewhere else.

For the wasps, I'd give it 1 star. For the view, I'd give it 5 stars. Simple, basic accommodations get 3 stars.

Room tip: Maybe the ground floor ocean front rooms don't have the same problem with wasps. I don't know.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Tally4
Reviewed 6 July 2017

This is the place to stay in Bora Bora. You are close to town and you can walk there, you can get the best deals for car rental services or island tours and Gerard will tell you all you need to know while visiting one of the most beautiful places on Earth. The hotel seems like an enchanted paradise and Gerard is the kindest host. I am definitely going back!

Room tip: Room with view over the lagoon
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2017

Tahiti, and more specifically Bora Bora, has been on my list of must sees for a long time now. One of the reasons I've never been is the cost which can be ridiculous. For the high-end hotels (you know the picturesque grass huts over an azure sea) can fetch upwards of $1000 per night!!! When I stumbled upon the Sunset Hill Lodge I decided it was my time visit. The lodge consists of two properties: one ocean front and the other across the street up a small rise. There was only the mountainside accommodation available so I booked it for one week. Gerard, the owner, picked us up from the Vaitape marine taxi port and drove us the short 5 minutes to the lodge. The unit I stayed in was large with a nice terrace, basic kitchen with adequate appliances for quick meals along with a shower and toilet. The rates compared to other accommodation on Bora Bora are substantially lower (90% lower compared to the ultra luxury resorts) so I knew things were going to be basic. What I was not prepared for was the onslaught of every kind of bug known to mankind: wasps, bees, flies, cockroaches, millipede-type worm thingies and every other type you can imagine. Shortly after check-in I was dodging the dive-bombing wasps until I'd had enough and whipped out my trusty spray bottle of permethrin bug spray. This was effective for about 72 hours. Unfortunately, my spray had no effect on the god forsaken roosters who started their morning love calls at 3 am!!! no joking 3 am. I had no choice but to relegate myself to their cackling, but yet again I was aroused nightly by the stray dogs howling at the moon while chasing up the local female dogettes for a night of fun.

Gerard was super nice and offered to shuttle us to the really nice beach free of charge and was always there for recommendations etc. If you're into camping and the outdoors this place is your place. Cheap and convenient. If not, you may want to save up and splurge on a mid-range or high-end resort where you'll surly escape the creepy crawlies and other vociferous friends found at Sunset Hill Lodge.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank groovyhawk
ggdebora, Propriétaire at Sunset Hill Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2017

Good morning Glen,

One of the essential aspects of your journey would have been to learn to live with other living species on this planet. Despite all the warnings that are given to us daily, you (I speak of Western society as a whole) do not still understood that exterminating all forms of life different from yours (and often your fellows) was not "normal", and coming to Polynesia and observing our way of life would have been highly beneficial to you. . You missed this opportunity, console yourself by thinking that (alas ...) you are not alone to act this way ...

Gerard