“Very nice”

Rafters Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Had a good evening here. The wood fire was more than welcome on a wet chilly day. A good meal and good wine. A good wine list and proper liquer coffee.

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

We went for a dinner and everything was covered with salt. The burgers was bad and the wine was frow low quality.

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Small restaurant in the heart of the Tsitsikamma/Storms river region very conveniently located in the storms river village. Limited menu offering but the food is good. Very friendly staff.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Had dinner there last night. I was the only person there from 6:45 to 8 pm. I commented on that and (my very nice) waitress said it was their low season. It worked to my advantage because I got a table right near the fireplace:). The ostrich bobootie was excellent and it came with rice, really good peas and carrots and slices of pumpkin. Was unable to finish it all. Together with a glass of red wine the bill came to 149 rand. I recommend it highly and would definitely come back if I were in the area again

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

In short a lovely spot with potential but fails to deliver in too many ways.
There are definitely a shortage of good eating spots in Storms River, and I've been there many times and several times to Rafters, each time hoping that today it'd improve because I like the venue and if the food just matched the setting it could be so good...but so far always disappointed.
The menu needs a rewrite to start...
1. The 'locally caught line fish' is supermarket hake; been there 4 times and there has never been line-fish...so rather just say battered hake and chips or something more accurate?
2. Whoever wrote that menu doesn't seem to understand the concept of Banting/zero carbs. Several items on the menu, e.g. Prawn curry and basmati rice (rice of any sort is a carb)
3. If you order the cheese platter made by the award winning local cheese farm, Fynboshoek, don't expect the local cheese... it's all supermarket cheese served. The staff don't even know of the farm or the cheese maker. If I were the local cheese maker I'd be rather angry that poor supermarket cheese was being passed off as my quality cheese...

I ordered the prawn curry. It looked excellent when delivered and there was a very generous helping of prawns. But...The prawns were boiled and were partly raw and I couldn't finish them and it really left an unpleasant taste and feeling. I mentioned to the manager (I think he was; a bearded guy) that I really didn't enjoy it he didn't seem particular perturbed and I just got a 'oh, didn't you enjoy it?'

On a positive note:
- the waitress really did try and was very pleasant.
- the ostrich bobotie that my partner had was pleasant too.