“As Italian as you can get!”

Amarcord Italian Food
Ranked #167 of 1,229 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Description: Authentic Northern Italian cuisine with a splash of southern, brought to you by the original owners of Assaggi! Come join us for an authentic Italian experience with pastas homemade fresh daily, stews, meat, fish, we have it all, made in the traditional way!
Reviewed 6 November 2016

A lovely cheerful and welcoming Italian restaurant. The food is very good with a huge selection of 'specials' on offer. The service is friendly and good. Bring your own wine!

There are newer reviews for Amarcord Italian Food

Reviewed 15 October 2016 via mobile

Had our monthly bookclub here. 11 ladies. Service was good. One lady arrived after our order was placed and her food still arrived with ours. Restaurant was full on a Wednesday evening. Food was really tasty and good. Definitely going back with my husband.

Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

This was our first visit to this restaurant but it definitely won't be our last. Not a lot of parking directly outside the restaurant but plenty just across the street. I started with a portion of canneloni- don't bother with the half portion! It was the BEST canneloni that I have had outside of Italy! My wife's starter of chilled veal with an anchovy cream, topped with capers, tomato and lemon was enjoyed immensely.

For my main course I chose veal escallop in lemon butter. My wife went for veal with rosemary and garlic. Neither of us could remember ever having veal cooked so perfectly with the subtle, complementing flavors that characterises top quality Italian food. The veal was succulent and tender and had obviously been prepared with great care and attention. My sides were served on a separate plate, so the lemon butter sauce could be savoured properly.

Service was very good. Since Tuesday lunchtime isn't the busiest time, Mama used the time to test the waiters on their knowledge of pastas that go best with porcini. Mama made a point of visiting each table to check on customer satisfaction. I'm sure that booking is essential in the evening and I would recommend it for lunch as well. Couldn't face dessert but the menu was very tempting!

I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

We used to enjoy Luciana's Italian food already when she was still at the Post Office Center in Ilovo! She is now in partnership with Mario and their food is still as authentic and delicious as some years ago
Beside the a la card menu the daily specials are worth to consider! Service is good and as they are still waiting for the liquor license you can bring your own wine! Highly recommended for a authentic well priced Italian meal in a pleasant atmosphere!

Reviewed 8 September 2016 via mobile

As it was a family lunch party a large variety of dishes were ordered! Every dish was really good and was as one would expect in a trattoria in Italy. Nothing seemed to have been preprepared and as result the service was relaxed which gave the family time to chat and enjoy the company! Looking around there were quite a lot of Italian speaking tables enjoying their visit and food. This in my opinion bodes well!
Will definitely visit again for dinner and put this restaurant on our local favorite list!