“Dissppointing experience”

Roasted Coriander Halal Restaurant
Ranked #926 of 1,250 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Reviewed 8 May 2016

We have visited this restaurant on 3 previous occasions and had enjoyed the food and the good service, so this prompted us to decide to celebrate Mother’s Day by eating at this restaurant. I made a booking to ensure that we would get a table. On arrival there was no one to seat us as most of the waiter/waitresses were either clearing or setting tables. My family and I had to try to get their attention in order to get them to seat us. Once seated, the waitress went back to clearing a nearby table, leaving us without menus. We had to once again call a waitress to get us menus. At no time did the waitress mention the specials of the day which was soup as a start, mutton curry and rice or seafood paella with a dessert for R115. Luckily I had seen the special on their Facebook page and so requested it. Thereafter it took another 15 minutes for our drinks to arrive. We were then told that they had run out of lemonade for the passionfruit and lemonade and that only one of us would be able to get this drink. We agreed to settle for other drinks. 15 Minutes later only 2 soups starters arrived instead of the 3 we ordered. First the waitress tried to say that we only ordered 2, but then realised that we had ordered 3 of everything. She went back into the kitchen and 10 minutes later after we had finished our soup, my Mother’s soup arrived. The butternut soup was tasty, but cold. Once our starters were completed, at no stage did the waitress come to check to see if we were ready for the main course. So again it was another 15 minute wait for the main course to arrive. The mutton curry portion was fine, but there was too few pieces of meat in it. The only course that arrived early was the dessert. It arrived even before we were finished with the main course. The dessert consisted of a piece of cake with cold custard poured over it. On the whole this was a most disappointing experience. I’m not sure if it was only because the restaurant was full and because it was Mother’s Day that the service was so poor or if the standards have truly dropped since my last visit in November 2015.

Reviewed 9 March 2016

lunch with good friends is awesome but when the food is this YUM its even better!!
really good tasty food, reasonably priced and the service was superb. each customer is welcomed and attended to as if you're the only customer in the eatery.
tasty, modern halaal food is hard to come by in Joburg so this place is a must!

Reviewed 7 March 2016

Visited the restaurant for lunch in February. Ordered Grilled fish ( overcooked and dry), pizza (tasted like leftover from the day before) chips (stale). we were inly 2 families at lunch time. Extremely poor service. The waiters and owners loiter outside the restaurant. No fans in the extremely hot summer weather. No positive response to complaint from owner. poor decor.

Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

You're not really missing out if you give this place a skip but if you're in the area or bored of the usual spots it's worth a try. We dined at the restaurant on a weekday, it was pretty quiet. A waiter greeted us as soon as we walked in and allowed us to choose our seats- he was friendly and helpful throughout. The place is not well lit at all. A semi- lit space can add to the mood and ambiance of a restaurant but this was the annoying kind of dim. My husband and I shared a wood oven pizza which was great. I had chicken skewers with chips my husband opted for the beef burger. I found the price slightly exorbitant for the portion which was smaller when compared to other establishments (for example Europa's portions are way bigger- in the same price range). But overall the meal was tasty. My husbands burger was quite saucy, and also on the hot side so be sure to request a milder flavour if you don't enjoy hot food. The drinks were disappointing! My strawberry daiquiri contained no strawberry, instead it was flavored with a too- sweet strawberry syrup almost like Slush Puppie, my husbands passion fruit mojito was average. Again, nothing to shout about but not the worst.

Reviewed 15 January 2016

Lovely food. Lovely ambience. Friendly staff. Tasty food. We had the fish curry and rice, chicken curry and rice, burger, and received a free chip roll. It could've passed as my mums cooking. Lovely place