All reviews free shuttle park station full size fridge inner city small kitchen hotel shuttle johannesburg cbd shuttle service apartments are spacious red bus excellent bathroom the penthouse business district parking garage close to the hotel double bed a small swimming pool
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

This hotel is in the City Centre. The service is not jacked up like you would find at the newer trendier hotels. The rooms are apartment styled and clean. They could add an additional towel in the bathroom and connect the telephone to the reception. Breakfast and dinner is at the Marshall. Again a vegetarian has only 1 option that of a burger so if you staying a few nights it becomes tiresome.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
GMMapungubwe, General Manager at Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2018

Dear Sureshinee

Thank you for your valuable review. With regards to towels, you are always more than welcome to ask reception to bring you more towels should you require it. All our in room phones does connect with reception. We are currently working on more vegetarian options for the restaurant but next time you stay with us just ask any of the waiters and they will assist in preparing a vegetarian dish for you. We hope to welcome you back to Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

Great place. We got a really nice studio apartment...the sofa was especially comfortable.
Breakfast was also delicious. Nice variety of food on the menu.
Shuttle bus was another plus...
Everything was all good. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Winnie M
GMMapungubwe, General Manager at Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2018

Dear Winnie M
Thank you for giving us a perfect score and your kind words. We hope your next visit is just around the corner and we look forward to welcome you back to Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

Hotel is on a quiet street in one of the safer areas of downtown Johannesburg and is a short, safe (daytime) walk to Newtown and Maboneng neighborhoods. There is a great restaurant on the ground floor. The lobby is chic, warm and welcoming. The room was really spacious with a full kitchen stocked with good appliances but overall it was pretty shabby: it had a "lived in" smell, the furniture was falling apart, the remote was gummy to the touch, etc. Restaurant staff were amazingly helpful. Hotel staff much less so. The car that I ordered to collect me from the airport showed up an hour late. My room was serviced when I put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign but not when I didn't put it out. I placed a room service order that never showed up. Overall and mostly because of the quality of the room, I don't think this hotel was a good value for the price I paid. If I need to return to Joburg, I'll likely stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
GMMapungubwe, General Manager at Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Dear SNora
Thank you for giving us feedback with regards to your stay and your experience at Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel. I do apologize that we didn't deliver on your expectations and I'm glad to inform you that we are in the process of updating all rooms. I hope that you will visit us again so we can show you what Service by Design means to us and we look forward to welcome you back to Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel in the near future. Kind regards Werner

Reviewed 14 February 2018

I stayed in a studio apartment for 5 nights at this hotel. The location is in a quiet section of the CBD. (Note: the entrance is not on Marshall Street. It is around the corner near Ferreira).

During business hours during the week the area immediately around the hotel is fairly busy. After hours and weekends it is a ghost town. The hotel is only about a 10-minute walk to Gandhi Square and the Carlton Center, and I did so twice and did not feel unsafe. However, the area can be a bit dicey, so do what feels comfortable for you.

The hotel offers a shuttle within 5 km of the hotel, but it books up fast. I recommend booking the day before, and even then the availability may be limited. You can also use Uber or take the City Sightseeing Hop on-Hop off bus to get around, which has a stop close to the hotel. I used the free hotel shuttle during my stay, including to and from Maboneng. I also paid the shuttle for an airport pickup, and for transfer to my hotel in Sandton. A special shout out to the driver Friday, who drove me to the market and went above and beyond to help me find an adapter.

Actually, all of the staff I encountered were friendly, professional, and very accommodating. Upon check-in, I complained that my room was too dark, and within 5 minutes a maintenance man came and exchanged the light bulbs, including the ones in the ceiling. I requested an iron, and within 3 minutes one was delivered to my room. Service at the hotel is excellent.

The room itself was large and very comfortable with a double bed and flat screen TV. It also had a stove, full-size fridge, and microwave. Cutlery is available if you pay a deposit.

My room also had a large balcony with a table and 2 chairs. A lounge chair on the balcony would have been nice, but this is a minor complaint. The room was above the pool area, but outside noise was minimal. I didn't hear any noise from other rooms either.

There is a free breakfast, but I didn't eat, so can't comment on it. There is also a free computer for guests to use, but it is weirdly located near the stairwell leading to the garage.

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, and think it was a good value for the price. It was a calm low-key place to return to after a day of sightseeing. I recommend the hotel for business travelers, and for leisure travelers who want a quiet place to stay in the CBD. I would stay here again if I ever return to Joburg.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Marilyn C
GMMapungubwe, General Manager at Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2018

Dear Walkabout 123

Thank you for your kind words and time in doing such a detailed review about our hotel. Our slogan is "Service by Design" and we really did deliver on this. We hope next time you are in our beautiful country you will visit us again and i hope that all international travelers that read this realize that the Johannesburg CBD area is up and coming and a very good area to stay. Till we meet again. Kind Regards Werner

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

Area is good for business but not for tourism. Hotel is clean, staff is helpful. Shuttle from hotel is good but pick up is very bad. They don't show up and leave you stranded, very scary. The driver December did this to us twice. Sandton or Rosebank maybe better areas to stay in for tourism.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
GMMapungubwe, General Manager at Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Dear Texsmom2016
Thank you for your revue. We did implement a new plan of action with regards to the shuttles and as i mentioned in my mail to you we again like to apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay because of the shuttle being late. We hope next time you visit our beautiful country again you will stay with us again or one of our sister hotels in Sandton.