“Found a hair in my food, and the reaction of the staff was totally unprofessional - will not see my business again”
Review of Cafe 41

Cafe 41
Ranked #63 of 738 Restaurants in Pretoria
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Moroccan
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Quench your thirst for a continental dining experience on a leafy patio in the heart of Pretoria. Cafe41 Eastwood offers a sophisticated, unique menu attracting local and international guests for its cosmopolitan atmosphere, whilst remaining relaxed and informal. Tempt yourself with a peek at an impressive wine collection admired from an open plan setting connecting the main floor and a cosy lounge with a fireplace. Cafe41 has been the winner of the Diner's Club Gold Award Best Wine List 3 years in a row. Should you want a venue for an intimate gathering, business meeting or a chic get-together, Cafe41 will make it a memorable experience with friendly staff, heated patios and a carefully crafted playlist to keep the mood just right. Platters are available and well-worth the experience.
Reviewed 20 June 2017

This is my local - we have eaten here since it opened, watched it change ownership and know the menu off by heart. Today I took a colleague there for lunch, and we ordered a side of creamed spinach with our meal, placed between us in a small bowl. Halfway through the meal, my colleague pulls out a single hair from the spinach. We alert the waitress, who takes the bowl away, saying that its odd because the kitchen staff all have their hair covered. She did not apologise, nor say that she'll call the manager. A few minutes later, the manager comes over, we presume to apologise. Instead he says that there is no way the hair came from the kitchen, and none of their staff have hair like that. We are stunned - surely the service ethic would be to firstly apologise, perhaps express disbelief that it got into the bowl in the kitchen and reassure us about their quality control, before offering a replacement? Instead his attitude is almost accusatory, and the tables around us stop their chatter to listen. My colleague asks if he's implying that we deliberately inserted the hair into the bowl. At which the manager says that I have hair like that found in the bowl, and none of his staff do. This was getting ridiculous. The manager storms off - still no apology, nor a replacement. We pay, including for the spinach, which is indicated in our bill, and leave. We shall not be visiting this establishment again. The manager and staff need basic service ethic training. I am very sad since Minas, the owner and founder of Cafe41, did not start off the franchise with this arrogant attitude towards customers.

Basil A, Owner at Cafe 41, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Good day Sunshine,

Am very sad to read and believe this review.
As mentioned to you, you were more than welcome to come inspect our kitchen and its members regarding the hair issue.
Unfortunately, you have your own opinion and its sad that you were a regular customer and you fault the business on this one and only incident/occasion.

Regards,
Basil, Jacqui and the 41 Eastwood Team.

Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Frequented Cafe 41 in Centurion and associated them with good value for money.
I guess the expectation bar would need to come down a notch: and this one is bland food and service - can't justify the price tag.
It was exciting to have the option to build a panini but in the end he excitement was just that - not the experience. Brought it to attention of manager along with the cold coffee. And.. yip... nothing - bland as the food.
They are 800m from my home - I will give them a pass

Basil A, Owner at Cafe 41, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Good day Ineke,

Thank you.

The 41 Eastwood team

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

I was quite disappointed after my return to Cafe 41 after a few years out of the country that foreign beer brands *(not SAB products) were no longer on sale.

Sad to say I had to go to the sportsbar down the road.

Still the place has the same ambience and the music has changed as well

1  Thank Mariri S
Basil A, Owner at Cafe 41, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

Good evening Mariri S

Thank you for the review.
We do stock Guiness,Corona, Stella Artois as well as Peroni as international beers.
I'm unsure if you were misinformed or perhaps you did not see these listed on our menu?

Basil, Jacqui and the 41 Eastwood team

Reviewed 2 May 2017

The ambience here is great. It is tucked away in a corner at the Eastwood Village. The food was fresh and was in really generous portions. We had the pasta dishes. The prices are from average to expensive.I would recommend the place for anyone looking for Mediteranean cuisine in Pretoria.

Basil A, Owner at Cafe 41, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2017

Hi Charm Ten

Thank you very much for the review.

Regards,
Basil, Jacqui and the 41 Eastwood team.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Excellent food, excellent service , you can taste Greek plates like tzatziki, fasolada and many others, you can park your car very easy

Basil A, Owner at Cafe 41, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Hi Ioannis P

Thank you very much for the review and kind words.

Regards,
Basil, Jacqui and the 41 Eastwood team.