“Celebrating life, with 10 friends”
Review of Prosopa Restaurant

Prosopa Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 724 Restaurants in Pretoria
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The elegant, stylish interior creates a sophisticated, fresh atmosphere at Prosopa Restaurant, situated in the heart of Waterkloof Heights and surrounded by ambassadorial and ministerial residences. Prosopa’s extensive Mediterranean menu is influenced by the flavours of Greece, Portugal and Spain. The signature lamb dish Kleftiko is deboned leg of lamb wrapped in vine leaves & foil stuffed with feta, fresh tomato, herbs and spices and slow roasted in the oven. An option one cannot stay away from is the fantastic array of meze one can have on a platter or individually. The extensive Diners Club Award-winning wine list offers many a gem to be enjoyed beside the fireplace on a cold winter’s night or on the veranda with the curtains blowing in a soft summer breeze.
Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Our group booked for dinner at this "Modern Greek Restaurant" - really top class food at a still reasonable price - all things considered. We all shared some mezze platters - everything was freshly made and very good. As a main meal I had one of their specials, a rib eye steak topped with cheese and pepper sauce. Asked for it medium rare at it was excellent. Want to get back to them soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2016

During the past month we have eaten there twice and on both occasions the experience was not great. You expect a certain level of service and quality of food. The meat was not tender and the reason as offered by the management was that they had a new supplier. The fact is it was the second time this has happened. I tried the prawn curry and for r148 it was a serious ripoff. There was only 3 small prawns in the curry and then only sauce and a little bit of rice. Maybe not the best place to go if you expect value for money. The service was also slow and you had to look around for the waiter if you required something

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Great - really great - food. Excellent service. Manager also very attentive and gives lots of suggestions for food and drink. Great place to celebrate a special occasion.

Reviewed 8 August 2016

The wife and I finally managed to get a babysitter on a Saturday night and for the first time in months we could go out and enjoy ourselves. I had planned to take her to the fancy French place that we went to for special occasions, but it turned out that the chef was on holiday, so after a bit of research i decided to book Prosopa.

On arriving at the restaurant, i realized that we had in fact eaten here before and it wasn't a great experience. Still, quite a few years had gone by and the reviews were good......

We walked in and were escorted to a table by the side. The restaurant is quite nicely laid out with a central fireplace which was lit and very pleasant. The restaurant was about 40% full and the noise level was minimal. On being seated i was given the wine list to peruse. After about ten minutes, a waiter arrived and took our wine order - the wines range from reasonably priced to absurd and we got a lovely Rose for a not unreasonable R240 or so. A few minutes later, a second waiter arrived to take our drinks order again. When told we had already ordered, he disappeared.

About HALF AN HOUR LATER someone finally arrived to take our food order. At that point, i'd lost my cool a bit so we went straight to the main meal. I ordered a spaghetti marinara ( about R180 or so if memory serves) and the wife ordered calamari. The spaghetti sauce was delicious but the prawns and mussels tasted a bit nasty (dry, overccooked). The wife seemed to enjoy her calamari though.

We left shortly after, having decide to have coffee and dessert somewhere else. The total bill was R578 for two mains, a bottle of wine and a bottle of water.

Next time, i'll research a bit more thoroughly before going to a place. What was supposed to be a romantic night out turned rather unpleasant and was only salvaged by the coffee and cake at the next place. To the owners - I don't know if you had an off-night or whether we just got a crappy waiter but considering the relatively empty dining room, you should really have tried harder.

Dino F, Owner at Prosopa Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2016

Dear Ariel
Thank you for your review following your recent visit. At Prosopa we welcome all feedback and review it seriously. We do however prefer that the facts are indeed not skewed, as was the case with yours.
Your reservation was for 19h30, so I am only assuming you arrived promptly. My manager discussed the wines with you and you ordered the Morgenster Caruso (R228 per bottle, not R240) and a bottle of water with him, upon which he told you that it was one of his favourites. Your drinks order was processed on our point of sales system at 19h35. Just before this, your waiter, Edwin, approached you with the wine list to ensure that it was in fact the Caruso you ordered because we have 2 Morgenster wines on our list. He then fetched the drinks at the bar and proceeded to serve them to you and your wife.
I am grateful that you pointed out what a wide range of wines we have. One of the criteria of the Diamond Diners Club Wine List Award, which we just received last week again for the 10th time, is that an awarded restaurant should have a range of wines that caters to all tastes as well as deep and shallow pockets.
As far as you claiming that “about HALF AN HOUR LATER” someone arrived to take your food order, I can confirm (and I can mail you the printed out proof from our computer system should you wish) that your food order was in fact printed out in our kitchen exactly 21 minutes after your drinks were ordered at the bar! And in the meantime the waiter had even been to your table to serve you your drinks.
We prefer that our guests are relaxed and feel at home at Prosopa. We do not like to rush our guests but will serve them quicker if they so wish. However you made no mention of this at any stage. You also made no mention of your dissatisfaction with the service or the quality of the food when my manager came to see that you were enjoying your evening later. You also told your waiter you would not be ordering dessert because you were full.
The Spaghetti Marinara you had in fact costs R128, which is a considerable 30% less than the R180 you thought you paid. Your total bill including wine came to R518 and not R578 as you mentioned in your review. You seem to make a habit of misrepresenting the facts!
I was so looking forward to reading your review of the “fancy French place” you went to for special occasions to see how we compare, but sadly you have not done one for them.

Reviewed 10 July 2016

I am wary of recommending restaurants based on my personal experience, however, when I receive a recommendation, particularly from a top-class chef I respect, then I take note. Proposa came with such an endorsement. It was a Saturday night and my wife and I made a reservation for 7:00pm and arrived promptly. Plenty of parking was available within Waterkloof Heights shopping centre, and the restaurant places spare chairs outside to demarcate their patrons’ bays to stop any late evening opportunistic parking. The welcome was underwhelming being greeted with totally blank faces on the staff even when we provided our booking name and the time of reservation. We were escorted to our table sandwiched between the till and the spare chair store. Being a non-drinker I politely declined the wine list, but, to no avail. We were delighted when the owner/manager came across to present the specials and we both opted to select from the off-menu options, which were excellently described, and ‘sold’. The mezze platter for two was delightful, full of flavour, colour, variety and taste. I opted for the fish special of the day, this was over cooked and tough. I did mention this and the line item removed from the bill, a very welcome gesture from the management and appreciated.
The restaurant was buzzing, very busy with many big tables/parties and perhaps it slightly unfair to highlight the staff seemed more than disinterested in a ‘table for two’ (with the exception of the owner/manager). Nevertheless, I felt the staff could be more attentive, we had to ask for everything from bottles of water, dessert menu, coffee and the bill. On no occasion was any of the staff pro-active.
During the meal and having a clear view of the POS I watched in horror as a waiter sneezed onto the till releasing a fine mist of unhealthy spray onto the touch screen and an adjacent set of clean side plates just placed there. Excluding the dodgy fish, this restaurant is a nice find and I’m sure with some management guidance the staff’s laissez-faire & hygiene attitude and tightening the QC on the pass will improve matters dramatically.