“Poor service”

BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Vereeniging
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Compared to my previous stays, this time I really got the feeling that the level of service dropped. I had to make several call for bedding, towels and aircon not working. When I requested for a ported my son was told the was NO porter available and he must take the trolley himself. I paid R250 for a romantic evening but never enjoyed it as the aircon did not work and was moved to another room

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BON-RivieraOnVaal, Guest Relations Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello Shamintria

I trust you are well today!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your visit to BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal!

I would like to apologise for the maintenance and housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay and it is most upsetting to hear that you experienced a drop in service level. We pride ourselves in delivering a high standard to all our guests and we certainly failed to do so in this case, please rest assured that we have a very new senior management team who are working round the clock to address these shortfalls.

I do hope you give us a chance to redeem ourselves and I request that you contact me directly when making your next booking so that I can book you on a preferred rate and ensure you are well taken care of.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Great hotel the manager is spot on the stuff is friendly professional treat the guests well from the phone call to arrival to check out great service indeed thank you so much I couldn't have asked for a better weekend away

Room Tip: non everything was perfect
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Masegon

Thank you for the great review - we are happy that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Just checked in and wow, what an old spent hotel. The room allocated was bad in that the key didn't work, dirt on the floors, hair on the bed, shower floor cracked and an overall crap room. Got allocated another room on first floor and this was better but by no means up to acceptable standards. Room smells stale. Staff came to put in two single beds for the kids the beds looked like it's ready for the bin, its filthy and the staff cover it with a single sheet. I mean really. It doesn't cover up blackened mattress. I had to ask them to use a larger sheet. I have read up before getting here and it turns out the reviews are dead on, old and service is bad. The manager always responds with replies of concern and they would like to speak in person, well, I am here now. I hope the manager would actually come see me, rather than say, after I leave, that she would like to speak in person. If it wasn't for an hour drive, I would go back and stay at Tsogo sun at monte casino.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
BON-RivieraOnVaal, General Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear Mr & Mrs Bhana,

First & foremost I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time and effort to provide us with feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. You spent more than two hours in total with us, in person, to provide feedback on your total experience. To dedicate that much of your time to assist us in improving our product and standards are incredibly generous of you and we are truly utterly thankful. We strive to constantly improve our service and product offering and valid feedback, such as yours, provides an excellent management tool to accomplish our goals.

Please accept my most sincere apology for your entire experience. It goes without saying that your experience is far from acceptable standards. As the new general manager of BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, this is only my 1st month, I have but one goal: To bring justice to the breath-taking setting by providing equally impressive service and product levels.

Scott (our Food & Beverage Manager / Asst. GM) and I have compiled a detailed report and action-plan following our conversation with you. Immediate action will be taken in both product and service level training, to ensure that we correct both as soon as possible.

Although we have discussed you experience in detail, please feel free to contact me, should you wish to discuss this any further, my number is 074 291 3732 and I am available to take your call at your convenience.

Once again, please accept my most sincere apology for your experience. I hope to welcome you back to the BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal soon.

Kindest Regards,

Sebastiaan Victor

Reviewed 27 October 2017

1) There are very little activities for kids, and very little activities for adults. 2) The gym equipment was faulty, and poorly maintained. Also, the air conditioner in the gym was faulty 3) The pool water was extremely cold - with no other activities available the least the resort could invest in is something to warm up the pool water. 4) As a family we had brought our bicycles to ride over the long weekend, however there are no facilities to ride bicycles. We were told that occasionally it's allowed to ride bicycles on the golf course, but since it was a long weekend it would not be allowed due to the golf course being busy. 5) The hotel was clean inside, but little or no maintenance on the walls outside which looks very run down. 6) The restaurant À la carte menu was very limited. We had ordered 4 meals and 3 of the meals were not according to the description in the menu. The kids meals were very spicy that the kids could not eat. 7) At the pool area we often had to wait 30-40 min for drinks/food to arrive after ordering via the waiters in the pool area, however there were very little guests at the pool area. Staff complement should accommodate high accommodation rates where applicable.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

First & foremost I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time and effort to provide us with feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We strive to constantly improve our service and product offering and valid feedback, such as yours, provides an excellent management tool to accomplish our goals.
Please accept my most sincere apology for your entire experience. It goes without saying that your experience is far from acceptable standards. As the new general manager of BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, this is only 1st month, I have but one goal: To bring justice to the breath-taking setting by providing equally impressive service and product levels.
I started the week after your stay and subsequent we have replaced the Head Chef and added an extremely experienced Food & Beverage Manager to our team. Specifically, to deal with the issues food & beverage service and product you mentioned.
In addition, we have already stepped up our kids program, especially over weekends, offering various kids activities and childminders.
As for the gym, I can only say that a renovation is not in the immediate future, however the equipment, including the air-conditioner, has been fixed. I must agree that our grounds are not ideally suited for bicycling and the adjacent golf course is not under our ownership nor management either. Therefore, allowing guests to ride there is entirely up to them, not us.
Given the size of our pool, it is unlikely that we will ever get the pool heated. A heated pool, of this size, must be enclosed to be energy efficient too, which would spoil the view and experience.
Unfortunately, your Tripadvisor username doesn’t allow me to source your contact details and hence I could not make a personal call to you. Please feel free to contact me, should you wish to discuss this any further, my number is 074 291 3732 and I am available to take your call at your convenience.
Once again, please accept my most sincere apology for your experience. I hope to welcome you back to the Bon Hotel Riviera on Vaal soon.
Kindest Regards,

Sebastiaan Victor

Reviewed 25 October 2017

This was our 3rd or 4th visit so we knew what to expect and that does make a difference but more than that - as Bonami club members - this trip was really value for money. And that allows you to overlook some of the standards / services.

The rooms are comfortable and clean and the views really nice.

The bathrooms - well I have just read a lot of negative reviews - which is what made me decide to review our stay too. The hotel does not deserve al the negativity - revise your expectations - look for the specials, and you will not be disappointed.

Yes the baths are small and with the glass screen, actually can be difficult to get out of, but perhaps some of the rooms have bigger baths and you may wish to make enquiries before selecting a room. The bathrooms themselves are not unattractive.

With regard to meal choices - the alacarte menu is not extensive - and it still surprises me that Pizzas are not available - but for a few days stay, its quite adequate. Dinners - well the buffet choices are more extensive on the weekends - and yet I don't think the prices change during the week and paying full price one has higher expectations. But as Bonami members (it was our first year as members) we could not complain and felt the hotel offered real value for money. We will happily return.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter over the weekends.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
BON-RivieraOnVaal, Guest Relations Manager at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear GillianJhb

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay at BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal!

Firstly, welcome to BONami, its great to have you in the club!

Thank you for your lovely review and for coming up for us - we appreciate it! Our hotel is old and quirky but she is so special and holds a place in so many peoples' hearts!

Once again, thank you for being an advocate for our hotel and we look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Warm regards,

Rozanne Hamilton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vereeniging
11.2 km away
19.1 km away
Ikhamanzi Bed & Breakfast
Ikhamanzi Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 7 in Vereeniging

Been to BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal? Share your experiences!