I visited the hotel previously a few years back. A few changes that show the tough times hotels are going through.
1. The absence of porters. Nobody to help you with baggage on arrival.
2. Book in process was largely uneventful
3. The hotel had a team of contractors working during our visit.
4. The only problem experienced was the hard beds and thin pillows. On requesting additional pillows from reception, i had no response the first call. An hour later a second call, still no response. Finally went down to reception to collect the pillows myself.
The pillows still did not suffice, due to asthma my wife sleeps relatively upper body raised. The result was buying our own pillows to solve the problems.
5. The views from the rooms are great.
6. The pool relatively well kept.
7. The lifts a little small and claustrophobic
8. I sent a mail to the marketing representative highlighting minor concerns, a good sign was that the hotel manager responded quickly and made contact with me within hours. This is a good sign.
The CEO Guy Stehlik has instituted a new concept called the" truth booth ". He requires his managers to actually sit across the table with a few guests per month to get actual perception and not just blurp posted as people normally do. In this way real issues can be raised. A big thumbs up to this innovative management.
9. It would be good if staff went through a customer service change program as they are inclined to subconsciously delay with customer service. The old adage service delayed is the same as service denied applies.. They will continue a conversation while customers wait to be served. However this is quite easily corrected.
10. We had a problem with the air conditioner dripping water. The maintenance team arrived speedily and were very respectful. Well done guys.
11. The expected water activities were not in operation. However this is not directly under hotel control it is a sub contract service. Not very well run. Unfortunately it does reflect on the hotel
The only major issue was minor staff attitude and hard uncomfortable beds with very flat pillows.
It may be another in ovate idea to offer what is offered at Ramada Khaolak. . A pillow menu. Which includes a variation of options on pillows as well as soft sponge bubble tops for mattresses fie people who require additional comfort. This service could carry a minor charge which generally very quickly covers the cost of the service.
Great location on the river. A pity that the hotel does not make use of the opportunity to offer rental of canoes and spin fishing equipment. They are on a piece of the vaal that possibly has among the best bass fishing in the area. Strange not to capitalise on this. They could draw customers who frequent Dullsyroom and Clarence with very little effort.
A little to be done to neaten up. However if the hard bed issue is resolved I would return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A 45-minute drive from Johannesburg, our luxurious hotel caters to the corporate and conference markets, as well as families and leisure travellers who are looking for a resort that has it all. BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal is one of few child-friendly Vaal River resorts that have struck a perfect balance in offering family enjoyment whilst also fulfilling the business travel market needs. Steeped in history this 91-room hotel, a converted farmhouse from the 1800s, is situated on a bend of the scenic Vaal River. Ideal for company conferences and events, the hotel offers 4 multi-purpose venues and a range of exciting team building activities, with flexibility to suit your needs. BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal has a reputation as one of the best wedding venues in Gauteng; choose from a variety of wedding packages to ensure a memorable day. If you are looking for a relaxing breakaway, why not pamper yourself at the Zorgvliet Spa or play a round of golf at the Country Club. Should that sound too energetic, pop down to the water's edge and float along the Vaal River on one of our boat cruises. BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal also offers a variety of water sports, a gym, picnics spots and kids' entertainment programs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your BON Hotel Riviera on Vaal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riviera On Vaal Hotel And Country Club