All reviewsself cateringhluhluwe national parkmemorial gateperfect locationwatch the wildlifereal highlighthluhluwe game reserveclean roomsswimming poolthe reserverondavelhutsshowerkitchenetteimpalaaccommodationlodge
Reviewed 25 February 2018

My son and I spend 2 nights here earlier this month. We enjoyed the thatched rondavels with their unique African feel. The property is set in it's own private reserve. Buck, zebra etc roamed freely. Certainly gave us lots to watch while we had our morning coffee and sun downers. We stayed at the self catering rondavels but paid for the very enjoyable buffet both evenings. We paid for one professional game drive. Well worth it. Chris our guide was fantastic! Saw 4 of the big 5. Being surrounded by a herd of elephants a real highlight. The property is a 10 min drive from Memorial Gate. Signage for the property could be clearer. When you see Zululand Tree Lodge you're there!!

Room Tip: Near the pool if it's summer.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Marilyn F
Reviewed 17 December 2017

Stayed at the Zululand Safari Lodge for one night during a recent tript to KZN. Having spend time in a number of game lodges around South Africa, I was impressed by how close the actuals animals would come around the little huts. I woke up to antilopes literally sitting in front of my door and Zebras grasing just a little distance away. Facilities were excellent for the price asked. I was lucky to get my own private game drive through the reserve the facility is on. While Ubizane 'only' has one of the big fife (a rhino, that is good in hiding), they have plenty of giraffes, zebras and antillopes, which made this drive actually more worthwhile than the one next day to Hluhluwe National Park.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
UbizaneTeam, General Manager at Zululand Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2018

Dear Mr/Ms Saschaneusser,

Thank you for the positive review. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your one-night stay with us.

Hopefully, with your next visit, you will stay for more than just one night.

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

We have had the most magnificent weekend at Zululand tree lodge, from our arrival finding zebras in the parking lot, to the super friendly check in staff who offered us a refreshing cool towel and delicious beverage ... stunning room with viewing balcony. Just after we arrived he had about 5 giraffe about 5 meters from our cabin, when walking to dinner there were Nyala all antelope all along the path. The meals were all delicious and the staff were so incredibly friendly. We booked a morning game drive for the day after we arrived into Hluhluwe game reserve, we saw 4 of the big 5 including 3 lion ambushing a herd of buffalo. I would highly recommend this lodge to anyone, I own a travel agency and will most certainly recommend this lodge to my clients. We will definitely be back

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angelameyer
01stephang, General Manager at Zululand Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Angela, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback! Hospitable is the work we use on a daily basis. I am very happy that you saw this in our great team. Our goal each day is to be friendly and very helpful with a smile! We are very fortunate to have the right team for this. Our goal is to always provide high level service. When you are happy, we are happy. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

Amazing! Staying at this lodge was beyond what I expected. My sister and I shared a room, however there was enough space for at least 3 more persons to sleep as there was a bunk bed in a smaller room. The room were self contained huts that are ideal for a week's stay. Overall the room was very comfortable and there was heat in the rooms (for winter and AC for summer). The one downside to this room is no wifi. Wifi was only available at the lobby.

On to the best part...you pull your curtains in the morning and there's wildlife. A giraffe on your evening stroll. Zebras strutting through the fields. Monkeys, ostriches, bunnies, wildebeests. This was an absolute treat to me, as my main attraction in South Africa was the wildlife.

This hotel also offers a safari within their compound but will not allow you to see the Big 5. They do offer trips to Ubizane game reserve where you can possibly see the Big 5 if you're lucky.

Definitely recommend this hotel ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback! When you are happy, we are happy. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

The location is great and the grounds are nice. The room is fine, it has everything you need however I found the sheets to be fairly dusty and stained. The blinds are essentially see through so everyone can see in your window in the day and at night. The shower we had was pretty bad, although we there was second option outdoors, it was just too cold to use it. The food at the tree lodge was good and the guide we had on our game drive was good. Sadly could not see many animals but these things happen. I would stay here again but having stayed in both the safari and tree lodge, I would choose the tree lodge. I would say it is quite overpriced considering it wasn't that clean.

Room Tip: Choose the tree lodge, not the safari lodge
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

roisin1212, thank you so much for telling us about your experience. I take all surveys very serious. Our goal is to always provide guest 100% satisfactory during their visit. Our team is not happy with just being OK. Please accept my apologies on the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. We strive to provide the best service at Ubizane Wildlife Reserve. I will most definitely follow up with my housekeeping manageress regarding the linen complaint you raised. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.