“Amazing”

Ranked #6 of 85 Restaurants in Bellville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Can't believe we have been living in the area for years and never realized there's this GEM around the corner! It was absolutely amazing! We were very lucky to get a table, and this is always a good sign. The seafood pasta and gnocchi with stuffed calamari was truly exceptional (best gnocchi I have ever had), as well as the service. Will definitely return very soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Dropped in unplanned. Stylish decor yet homey. Recommend the beef carpaccio and DEFINITELY save space for the Nutella cake...omw just GO!

Reviewed 2 July 2017

Sa night 1 Jul 2017.
19:00 reservation for 12 to celebrate a friend's bday.
Blond waitress was the worst - only thing she did was take order and bring food. Not attentive at all.
Had to get water, ice and water from bar ourselves. She never filled glasses with wine. Those that ordered drinks, struggled to get her attention to place orders and get them ordered again. 4 pizzas arrived and the chilly and garlic was not even on the table yet. I had to go and ask for it and she dismissed me and said, she would bring... it arrived after 4 more pizzas were brought to the table. Nope we could not eat together... pizzas arrived in 4 batches...

A service charge of R260 was added because of the group size and she did not earn a penny of it. The worst is, we did not have a choice in the matter.

Pizzas - baked in woodfired pizza oven but bottom is baked and top is doughy tough and not really cooked. Toppings were fresh, so I scraped that off and ate with the crusts as this was the only part of the base that was cooked.
BUT THE WORST OF IT ALL WAS, WHEN WE WERE ASKED AT 22:15, IF WE WANTED TO ORDER ANYTHING ELSE, SO THEY COULD BRING THE BILL AS THEY WERE CLOSING.

We were shocked!!! Saturday night!? We questioned it and they said they close at 22:30.
They staff all started leaving, lights were being switched off and the bill was brought.
Shocking!

I don't think this place even has a Manager... and if they did, they never came around to our table!

Not sure how they stay in business.

942gerardoc, Owner at Pizza Vesuvio, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

No not really blond waitress is the best she has been working at pizza vesuvio for a very long time for the past 6 years really ... since day 1 ...dont know what your story is but you sound very demanding and picky ..when a restaurant is busy you can't expect the waiter to get to everyone at the same time,be abit patient ...you should just sit back and enjoy your evening especially if it's a party !! ..a pizza oven is only so big to fit 4 pizzas inside at a time ... how can u expect them to serve you all 12 pizzas at once ... so what if you wait an extra few mints (5mints to be exact ).for the other pizzas to come.. in big groups it happens all the Time at every restaurant with food ..... you only point out the negatives in your review.. nothing positive maybe the music is great the ambiance was great ... if u hated it so much then why did u stay till so late (last table to be On point ) and not ask for the bill and leave earlier in the evening(because that's what I would do ) ... now when it comes to closing time this is a small family run restaurant who are hands on deck Monday to Saturday everyday from 9 in the morning to when they go in to prep for the day till 10 30 at night .. pizza vesuvio trading hours are from 12 pm to 10 30 pm .... every establishment has its rules ... if you don't like it then that's your problem ... coffee and deserts are served from 9 50 as till 10 30 then the restaurant closes... its not a bar ... if staff stays over time they have to get paid double ... and we can't afford to pay them double just because you have to finish your conversation ... when am sure it's your time to leave the office or your place of work no one can surly tell you to stay longer (without pay )... 12pm to 10 30 pm .. after that restaurant is closed and can't sit around waiting for you to finish your conversation ...also due to the fact that the people who work so hard at vesuvio also have a life they would like to enjoy ... if you want to carry on your party then move along to a bar or pub that's open till 2am.. when you can clearly see a restaurant is busy closing up and you just sit there is being plain rude ..now the information i have been given by the blond waitress is that everyone one at your table scoffed There pizza and complimented the waitress several times .. sounded like you where the only sour apple at the table ...remember there is always two sides to every story ... and i don't think any main lights was being switched off thank you we don't roll like that .. if you refer to lights you mean the small fairy lights on the wall ..also you shouldn't wish bad for other people's business that's very cruel to say (you don't know how we stay in business) we definitely don't wish for you to be out of a job ..and who has the time to write 3 negative reviews on (our Facebook page) Zomato and trip advisor ?? Seriously have you nothing better to do.. oh and by the way why did you delete them ? Do you think we would not see them ? So you come to TripAdvisor...please carry on writing and tell everyone about your horrible experience... doesn't change the way we rock and roll at pizza vesuvio we don't need customers like you ... so do as all a favor yeah ..(when it comes to the manager this is an Italian place with real Italian family that run it ... no need for manager you chat directly to the owner(because that's how it's done on italy ) it's called being authentic.... you like it great no problem you become family like so many of our clients have become over the years ..you don't like it then sorry this isn't the place for you ... can't please everyone folks.... oh and one more thing... whats the point in threatening and establishment and a Waiteress by saying (we will go to another restaurant across the water
( you already started your evening off with a negative mind set ) ... we didn't force you to come to us .... there are many beautiful and delicious restaurants out there for you .. just please don't come back to ours... yours sincerely pizza vesuvio management

Reviewed 19 June 2017

I used to love this restaurant (see my previous reviews)
Recently we visited again, booked ahead of time etc.
We arrive (on time) to discover they want to seat 4 of us at small table for 2-3 people, right in the door on a cold winters evening.
We asked to be moved to an open table, deeper into the restaurant - but was met with arrogance and un-helpfulnes from Chanell. (We could not move as all other (empty tables) were booked.
We sat down, and we WAITED for menus (at least 15 mins) I was starting to look for another restaurant with space close by. Finally menus arrived, our waiter now not Chanell but Geliano. The restaurant was quite full and so service was VERY slow - my previous observations was reinforced - they are way under-staffed.
I ordered a Pizza with 'Italian sausage' on - I received a pizza with what tasted like ordinary 'boerewors' on it. (on a previous occasion I ordered a pavlova dessert with berries on, it arrived without berries - and when we queried this - the answer was simply that they had run out of berries.....) So for this reason I assumed the same had happened with the 'Italian sausage) I had enough irritation with the terrible greeting, slow service and with having to get up every 2 mins to close the door - that I just left the pizza as is.

When we were ready to leave we mentioned to Geliano that we were met by a very unfriendly Chanell and the table issue - he told us that some of their more regular clients boo a specific table long in advance... (well we were only the 3rd booking on the list for the evening)
I then said that unfortunately we will not visit again, he brushed it off with "if my waiting on you did not make up for that, then please go...!) I suppose he thought that he had given excellent service...?

So friends, be careful when you go here for a treat evening. I think part of the reason of arrogance and the don't care attitude its because the owner sat outside, texting - and never visited any table...
A sad disappointment - the food was ok.

Reviewed 10 May 2017

We have been to Italy and when you eat at this restaurant it feels like we are there! It is an Italian family that runs the business and they know their stuff! The platters are perfect for starters and my favorite for mains is definitely the pizza - it is sooooooooo good!! You can take your own wine which we like :) The atmosphere is so warm and cosy and romantic. The service is not that great, but all the rest makes up for it!