“Yummy, Unique Experience”

Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 September 2017

I have been to Galbi a few times and love it every time. It might not be everyone's vibe but you get to pick your food off the menu, receive it raw and then cook it to your satisfaction on a grill in the middle of your table. It is interactive and unique. The waiters don't bother you (you can ring a buzzer on your table to call them over) but they do come to check the food is alright. You can get some traditional alcohol too. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

We LOVED this place! We were just walking past and went in and the food and cocktails were so incredibly happy. The prices are good, you can go as cheap or expensive as you want. I highly recommend!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

This place was an absolute joy, if you already enjoy a good 'braai', you'll love this restaurant where you can braai your own meat at the table. The food is Korean/African Fusion, the African part being the kinds of meats on offer. Aside from beef and chicken, you'll also find kudo, zebra, warthog and ostrich on the menu.

The side dishes are just as good as the mains, with special mention going to their baked Butternut, Sgimuchi (blanched spinach with sesame seeds and soy sauce) and of course their kimchi, which tastes exactly like the kimchi I've encountered at Korean restaurants living in China.

Aside from the food that was great, the service was also top notch. The atmosphere was so cosy and inviting and my family and I spent the whole evening there.

I've seen people complaining that it was too smoky, that was not my experience, the only thing in the air that night was the smell of food.

So, let's talk money: Considering this restaurant is in Long Street, where expensive restaurants and bars are everywhere, the value for money here is incredible. We ate a lot, and when not adding our drinks tab the food tab for a table of 5 was R1000.

I will definitely go back when I'm in South Africa.

1  Thank Marellise
Reviewed 14 June 2017

Galbi is lovely. If ever a friend is in the mood for "something different", Galbi is always my go-to. You get to braai (bbq) your own food - they provide the meat / protein and you put it on the grill. It's such a nice social experience, I've attended informal meetings, family dinners, a date, birthday dinners/lunches at this spot and it never disappoints. Their waiters are friendly and quick to respond. Their food is so tasty, try the Tempura Vegetables and Sweet potato! They have a really good meat selection as well as Halloumi cheese to grill. It's such a cosy spot, with ample space. I'd definitely recommend it if you're ever in the Long Street, Cape Town area.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

We were a group of 8 people dining at Galbi last night. The waiters were friendly, but seemed extremely disorganized and overworked. They frequently had to be asked twice or more as they would forget to bring things. Our group ordered a number of set platters off the menu, and the waiters just brought plates and plates of meat, they had no idea what went with what set platter order, and thus we had no way of knowing whose was whose, or if we received everything. I consulted the menu about my vegetarian set platter, and realized that two of the listed items had never been brought to me, so I had to ask the waiter again for them.
The restaurant is dark and windowless, and does not seem to have a working ventilation system, which is a huge problem as each table has its own tabletop BBQ on coals. The restaurant is FULL of smoke. It is extremely hot and airless and hard to breathe, and every article of clothing we were wearing just reeked when we arrived home. We also had to wait an hour and a half after we ordered until our food came (raw, still needing to be cooked by us on our table).
All that being said, the food did taste very good. But I would never put myself through that experience again in order to taste the food.