“Valentines without the love”
Review of Rua

Rua
Ranked #547 of 1,304 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Had to get up and leave as waiting on menu's ... finally fetching the menu's ... waiting on drink order to be taken... waiting on drinks ... by the time the bottle of wine arrived 20mins after we sat down, we cancelled and went to the restaurant across the corridor. RUA's burgers are great, been there during the day, but at night the ambience is zero, the lighting is cold and has the feel of fluoresced lights, no music, hardly any patrons but staff running around frazzled, it felt like sitting waiting at a closed shopping center after hours... so much potential but no love...

Date of visit: February 2017
1  Thank Sarah E

Reviewed 19 January 2017

The restaurant is tastefully decorated and there was a good choice of background music.
They didn't have the bubbly I requested from the menu and they also didn't have all the flavours of milkshake mentioned on the menu.

The Mains
We ordered two mains, spare ribs and rib eye steak, The ribs main was ok. However, the rib eye main dish was the just a cut of low-grade meat. It was impossible to eat it cause there weren't any fleshy pieces of meat just hard, muscular, rubbery bits.

The Sides
The potato chips and sweet potato chips were super delicious and the food was presented well.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Although I live in the area, I've never eaten here because it always seems empty and the atmosphere doesn't seem great...
But, my expectations were massively exceeded!!
They were running a rib special for 'all you can eat', but I had the 600g portion which was fantastic and ample! The juiciest, tasting basting and melt-off-the-bone ribs. The sweet potato wedges were done perfectly and the chef knows exactly what he is doing!
The waiting staff were attentive and pleasant.
It got busier then the atmosphere changed, but it seems the understated minimalistic feel may have deceived prospective customers to try it out? Background music was great and I'll definitely go back and tell my friends.
Not sure if white table cloths with candles could change the ambiance but I really hope this place gets more customers so that it will be around for ages.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

We both had the flatbread (aka pizza), overall pretty good flavour but pizza is pizza. An interesting experience and difficult to really get any sort of ambience. I guess the acid test will be if we go back over the next couple of weeks for dinner.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Wow, just wow!!! The ribs were amazing, fall off the bone and oh so tasty. They had an all you can eat rib special for R140 but we opted for the 600g ribs which were sufficient for one person. The basting sauce was lip-smackingly delicious. I've eaten ribs at a lot of restaurants in Cape Town and these ribs were in my top 3, and I'm fussy!!! Would I go back? Most definitely. Would I order ribs again? For sure! Do yourself a favour and give it a try.