“A week in Cape Town”
Review of Cape Town Central

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Buckeye in Columbus
24 helpful votes
“A week in Cape Town”
Reviewed 4 March 2007

Just returned from a two week trip to South Africa. The first week was all business and took me from Johannesburg to Durban and then to Cape Town. The second week was all holiday in Cape Town, and I couldn't be happier! If you have never visited South Africa, you must plan a trip to the Cape.

Hotel: I stayed at the City Lodge Cape Town which was conveniently located about a 10 minute walk from the main part of the V & A Waterfront. The rooms were comfortable and well kept, the breakfast was very good and had a great selection. My only complaint would be that the supposed pool was nothing more than a large jacuzzi. Overall, I would stay here again for the price it was very nice, and the staff was very friendly.

The Sights: As a first time visitor to South Africa, I did most of the tourist things. I travelled to Cape Point for a day and was not disappointed. The scenery in and of itself was worth the trip, a look to the right and you could watch the waves of the ocean crashing over beautiful rock formations and against the coast. A look to the left and I was amazed at the mountains and scenic views. Upon reaching the Cape Point Nature Park one sees wild baboons, ostriches, and gazelle type animals right along the road. The views from the point light house are fantastic and the weather was perfect.

I spent another day on Table Mountain, which forms the backdrop of the city. Again, the views from the top are well worth the cost of the cable car ride. After leaving table mountain we travelled to Stellenbosch and the wine region. Make this a day and hire a driver to take you so that you don't have to worry about driving. I would recommend Simonsig Vineyards, and La Motte Winery as excellent choices.

Another day was spent at the botanical gardens, and while it was mid summer and most of the plants were not in bloom, the beauty of the area and the scenic views are very nice. I would love to see this in the spring when the thousands of plants and flowers are in bloom. Followed this up with a walk through the Company Gardens and Greenmarket square in Downtown Cape Town.

I did spent a day going to a game preserve about two hours from Cape Town. For $200 I expected a better event. The reserve was called Faire Glenn and while they advertise that they have over 20,000 hectacres only 1000 are actually part of the preserve at this time. There are a limited number of animals and much of our time felt like I was at a Disney animal ride complete with corny jokes. I would not do this again and would rather spent the extra time and money to go to Kruger or another actual game reserve where the experience is much more real.

I ran out of time and did not make it to Robben Island but will do this upon my return to Cape Town.

Dining: Hard to go wrong when you are in Cape Town. For the less adventuresome there are dozens of restaurants in the Waterfront are. We chose Belthazar Steakhouse and would recommend it to anyone. Not only was the food excellent but they serve over 200 wines by the glass. Also, if you are looking for a great place to spend the evening take a taxi to Camp's Bay and walk along the beach, climb around the rocks and then stoll up seaside blvd. and find a place to sit outside and eat and share a bottle of wine while watching the sun set over the ocean. It doesn't get better than this. Quay Four is a nice spot on the Waterfront for lunch while watching the harbor in action.

Overall Impressions: I am already planning my next trip to Cape Town and would tell everyone to experience the beauty of the land, the friendliness of the people, and excellent dining and entertainment options.

21 Thank Ryan M
weehawken, NJ
12 helpful votes
“thank you thank you”
Reviewed 28 December 2006

wanted to thank all you guys for a wonderful review of cape town. went to capetown Dec 6 - 9th. short trip - i admit but well worth it.
stayed at this small hotel Ikhaya lodge. it was quaint with a tropical feel to it. it is not a good recommendation for a long stay. need more comfort. used one of your recommendations and had dinner at MANOLO EATS. Grrrrreat food. ambience was fantastic. the bar area reminded me of any bar in NYC. dinner was mid priced and very very nice. the service was top class.
one thing to let people know is that if you are coming to cape town and plan to go to RObben island, you might want to book ahead of time..... email for tickets. they were sold out when we went but our tour guide was able to score us some. we also did the township tour with rainbow tours and Cinga was our guide. love him...love him. only regret was the shortness of the trip but i will be back.....

2 Thank lolao4
uk
“Table View good place to be”
Reviewed 13 December 2006

Having just returned from a trip to cape town wanted to share our experience. We were independant travellers i.e. booked our own flts, accom, car hire and had no problems, we had no plan just sort of knew where we wanted to visit. We had 3nights in CapeTown from there we decided a base would be easier then keep moving to different hotels (I am very fussy aswell) so we based ourselves at Table View where the beach and views were excellent and access to the Wetern Cape easy. We found an excellent guest house Villa de la Shore where the hosts Elaine And Conrad were very friendly and accomadating to the point of making us feel it was home from home. We visited all the normal tourist haunts ie Franschoek, Hermanus. But found a little gem the Riebeek Valley where we stayed in a great all be it unusual hotel Travellers Rest, the area should not be misssed great wine tasting and a lot less touristy then the normal wine route, the scenery was breathtaking. We would encourage anyone to visit the Cape Town independantly there is so much to see and it is lovely to choose when and where you want to go. We were always met with a warm smile and friendliness. We will return in the new year.

Dublin,
21 helpful votes
“Discover Cape Town Time”
Reviewed 30 August 2006

I have just returned from a 9 week volunteer project in Cape Town and when I wasn't working hard, I was experiencing the delight that is Cape Town. From Robben Island to Table Mountain and everything in between, there is so much to see and do in this city that you can be there for 9 weeks and never get bored.
The scenery is beautiful and there are numerous tours that you can organise to experience all the different views. Take a trip to the Table Mountain Nature Reserve or visit the most southerly point on the continent of Africa. There is ample oppotunity to swim, surf, hike, and for those with a bigger appetite for excitement, you can abseil, skydive or dive with great white sharks.
For those who prefer slightly less adrenalin-inducing activities, you can go whale watching, enjoy the beautiful beaches at Camps Bay and Simonstown or go shopping at the Waterfront. Spend a day in Greenmarket Square, bartering with the locals for their hand carved treasures while listening to the drumming and general buzz around you. You must also take the time to do a township tour and see the other side of Cape Town. These poorer neighbourhoods are also very welcoming to tourists and the differences between the standards of living is something that has to be seen to be believed.
Take a stroll down Long Street where you can stop and have almost anything from a plain coffee to a cocktail, from a sandwich to tapas. For dinner, you can sample worldwide cusine at the food court down by the Waterfront, or any other number of restaurants around Long Street. For great food and service at an extremely reasonable price, I recommend Arnolds Restaurant on Kloof Street. Those guys go out of their way to ensure that you have as pleasant an evening as possible. For nightlife, Long Street again comes out tops, with a great mixture of clubs and bars to suit most tastes.
All in all, the "Mother City" as it is affecionately known as (some people say that because it takes 9 months to get anything done) has been my favourite holiday destination to date. It's a beautiful, easy going city with wonderful people who make you feel at home within a day.

9 Thank Helena M
Cape Town
3 helpful votes
“One of the most fascinating cities in the world”
Reviewed 21 March 2006

Having seen the occasional program about Cape Town on TV, I decided to see it for myself. Wow!, is only one exclamation I could use. Seeing is believing is another. From the moment I left the airport, heading towards the city in my hired car(very reasonably priced),I could see Table Mountain towering over the city centre. There is a landmark of majestic proportions and beauty. My Guest House in the suburb of Tableview, some 8km out of the city was luxurious,and soon I found myself in the pool washing away the weariness of a 12 hour flight from London. The owners supplied me with maps and guides, and soon I was on the road to the famous Waterfront. 300 restaurants, 800 shops, countless craft stalls, and all at the waters' edge in a busy port. My ensuing days were filled with trips to the vineyards, only one hours' drive away, to Cape Point where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet, and many visits to exquisite restaurants in delectable settings.
In summary, here's a city which ranks amongst the worlds' best, but does so little to promote itself. Want to know more? Simply write to me via this forum.
Ulrich Dannecker

3 Thank Traveluli

Been to Cape Town Central? Share your experiences!