“Good but not what I expected ”

The Jordan Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 274 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: One of the first signature chef restaurants in the Cape Winelands, the Jordan Restaurant with George Jardine brings top chef George Jardine’s brand of contemporary fare from city to country. The focus on the flavours of locally sourced, seasonal ingredients is evident from his kitchen vegetable and herb garden to wine barrel fish smoker and wood-fired oven. Expect smoky, smouldering country flavours in simple combinations on a contemporary plate – with signature smoked yellowtail, steamed Saldanha mussels, seared ribeye and springbok potroast. The main ingredient is enhanced by smoked garlic, aubergine, fennel, prune or potato puree. A trip to the walk-in cheese room to select your own board of artisanal Cape farm cheeses with preserves and breads rounds off a spectacular meal. Vintages from Jordan Wine Estate form the cornerstone of the restaurants wine list.
Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Recent reviews suggest the restaurant may be slightly off its peak but I still had high expectations when we went there for lunch.

The best way to summarise my thoughts is to say it’s very good yet underwhelming. I really had to think carefully to try and unpick why. Individual aspects were all good at face value but they didn’t combine to leave me with a wow experience. I’ll outline my conclusions as follows:

- Venue & ambiance: beautiful setting with impressive views but the restaurant is very plain. Simple and comfortable but not memorable. I can’t remember any specific detail that caught my attention. Same goes for the crockery, table, etc. This is in stark contrast to similar restaurants I’ve visited where I can recall many such details. On balance all this makes the ambiance of the place a little cold and stiff. Somewhat mitigated by the view, but many restaurants around here have amazing views.

- Service: staff was very friendly and helpful but seemed very laissez-faire. At times it felt a little like a server at a chain restaurant telling you about their specials. Nice and friendly but it doesn’t make you feel welcome and at home.

- Food: this aspect was very good but once again there were just a few niggles that derailed it a little bit. The starters and mains were absolutely amazing (and very rich) but our desserts where a bit underwhelming (cake and soufflé).

We were told they change the menu once a week but some dishes always stay on the menu (mussels and sirloin). Some recent reviews suggest meals are becoming repetitive, which makes me wonder how much the menu really changes.

We tried the mussels and sirloin and they were good, but a restaurant in this bracket should be able to develop new equally good options.

- Value: prices are roughly in line with other places on the 2017 top 10 restaurant list (granted its a wide range, but they are not even at the bottom end of it). The restaurant is really good but given the above I don’t think it can really justify their pricing. I started thinking 4 stars but had to drop it to 3 based on the overall value proposition they offer.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Great restaurant. Has fixed 3 course or 2 course menu. Good veg food. Enjoyed ourself. Recommended after a good wine tasting. Good wine selection and local beer on tap. Food was excellent.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This restaurant is worth the hype! Book in advance to make sure you get a table. One of the best meals we've had and in a stunning setting. Just a shame that they are not open for dinner every day...

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

The food was not only presented well but every flavour complimented each other with delicious explosions in your mouth. The starters and mains for a vegetarian were innovative and full of flavour. Extremely classy and great service! Loved every moment.

Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

Yum Yum Yum, it’s a little trick to find but it’s worth IT.
With wonderful views overlooking the dam this fabulous little place serves delicious baked delights as well as breakfast and lunch.
It had the BEST red velvet cupcake I have ever eaten.
The coffee also rated highly.

Thea v, Manager at The Jordan Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

Thank you for the wonderful review.
I am glad you found us and enjoyed the red velvet cupcakes and coffee.

We look forward to seeing you back at Jordan for more!

Best wishes