“Great views and quality food”

The Jordan Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 274 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: One of the first signature chef restaurants in the Cape Winelands, the Jordan Restaurant with George Jardine brings top chef George Jardine’s brand of contemporary fare from city to country. The focus on the flavours of locally sourced, seasonal ingredients is evident from his kitchen vegetable and herb garden to wine barrel fish smoker and wood-fired oven. Expect smoky, smouldering country flavours in simple combinations on a contemporary plate – with signature smoked yellowtail, steamed Saldanha mussels, seared ribeye and springbok potroast. The main ingredient is enhanced by smoked garlic, aubergine, fennel, prune or potato puree. A trip to the walk-in cheese room to select your own board of artisanal Cape farm cheeses with preserves and breads rounds off a spectacular meal. Vintages from Jordan Wine Estate form the cornerstone of the restaurants wine list.
Reviewed 27 January 2018

If you can take your eyes off the amazing restaurant views over the winelands valley you can turn your attention to eating great food.
This restaurant rarely disappoints but they do set very high standards in every aspect of the dining experience. The service is first class and you will enjoy the friendly approach of all the servers who seem to go out of their way to make your experience exceptional. The food on offer comes in many ways from a taster menu to straightforward 2 or 3 course offering to suit the diner.
The quality and attention to detail in terms of cuisine composition and taste are exceptional at this restaurant. My wife and I enjoyed three courses with wine pairings and were delighted with our choices and our overall experience. We will return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)

Reviewed 27 January 2018 via mobile

We had lunch in Jordan‘s restaurant and were luckily receiving a table even without a pre-booking bcs in the online system was no availability.

We enjoyed a very good 5 course lunch with just one bottle wine and not the wine pairing.

The food was delicious and the wine is one of our favourites.

To be seated on the terrace the wonderful views to the vineyards and mountains make the whole an excellent experience why we always come back on our visits to RZA.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Friendly staff, a beautiful setting and incredible food, wine and cheese. You couldn't ask for more.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

This venue is all about the view, lawn in front leading to the dam, then vineyards & finally mountains. It feels a world away from Stellenbosch.

The wine from their own vineyard is very well priced

We ordered 2 x burgers & 2 x beer battered hake. The burger was big & juicy but lukewarm. The hake was very fresh but the batter was far from crispy.
Service was good.

Thea v, Manager at The Jordan Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Thank you for the review and for choosing to visit Jordan Wine Estate.
The views are spectacular and there is no better place to enjoy a glass of wine.

We appreciate all feedback we receive especially in areas we can improve. We have let the team in the kitchen know about your dining experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Jordan Wine Estate soon.

The Team at Jordan Wine Estate

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

Recent reviews suggest the restaurant may be slightly off its peak but I still had high expectations when we went there for lunch.

The best way to summarise my thoughts is to say it’s very good yet underwhelming. I really had to think carefully to try and unpick why. Individual aspects were all good at face value but they didn’t combine to leave me with a wow experience. I’ll outline my conclusions as follows:

- Venue & ambiance: beautiful setting with impressive views but the restaurant is very plain. Simple and comfortable but not memorable. I can’t remember any specific detail that caught my attention. Same goes for the crockery, table, etc. This is in stark contrast to similar restaurants I’ve visited where I can recall many such details. On balance all this makes the ambiance of the place a little cold and stiff. Somewhat mitigated by the view, but many restaurants around here have amazing views.

- Service: staff was very friendly and helpful but seemed very laissez-faire. At times it felt a little like a server at a chain restaurant telling you about their specials. Nice and friendly but it doesn’t make you feel welcome and at home.

- Food: this aspect was very good but once again there were just a few niggles that derailed it a little bit. The starters and mains were absolutely amazing (and very rich) but our desserts where a bit underwhelming (cake and soufflé).

We were told they change the menu once a week but some dishes always stay on the menu (mussels and sirloin). Some recent reviews suggest meals are becoming repetitive, which makes me wonder how much the menu really changes.

We tried the mussels and sirloin and they were good, but a restaurant in this bracket should be able to develop new equally good options.

- Value: prices are roughly in line with other places on the 2017 top 10 restaurant list (granted its a wide range, but they are not even at the bottom end of it). The restaurant is really good but given the above I don’t think it can really justify their pricing. I started thinking 4 stars but had to drop it to 3 based on the overall value proposition they offer.