“My Personal Favourite”

Ranked #11 of 274 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: One of the first signature chef restaurants in the Cape Winelands, the Jordan Restaurant with George Jardine brings top chef George Jardine’s brand of contemporary fare from city to country. The focus on the flavours of locally sourced, seasonal ingredients is evident from his kitchen vegetable and herb garden to wine barrel fish smoker and wood-fired oven. Expect smoky, smouldering country flavours in simple combinations on a contemporary plate – with signature smoked yellowtail, steamed Saldanha mussels, seared ribeye and springbok potroast. The main ingredient is enhanced by smoked garlic, aubergine, fennel, prune or potato puree. A trip to the walk-in cheese room to select your own board of artisanal Cape farm cheeses with preserves and breads rounds off a spectacular meal. Vintages from Jordan Wine Estate form the cornerstone of the restaurants wine list.
Reviewed 8 February 2018

The food throughout Cape Town is exceptionally good. You do have to make reservations so a little planning in advance will serve you well. Of all the restaurants we went to (and we went to many truly memorable places) the food here was my favourite. They had me at the bread board. OMG do not come here to lose weight!! I loved every course I had and I’m fussy. They catered quietly and efficiently with my shellfish allergy. Can’t wait to return and return I will.

1  Thank Baedeckers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed 6 February 2018

We have been here before and were very pleased with what we ate and this time was equally good. I ate Saldana Bay Mussels cooked in a paper bag. Delicious! I then ate Kudu with excellent accompaniments. Wonderful situation looking down over vineyards and the valley.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

We were really looking forward to visiting this restaurant after reading a review in a British paper. We booked a table for lunch on a week day and after we were shown to our table we had to wait 30 minutes before a waiter approached us and informed us that "the chef was now ready to take our order". This did rather rankle however we placed our order and sat back to admire the wonderful view. 30 minutes later our first course arrived and subsequently another 30 - 40 minutes lapsed before our second course arrived and only then because I asked the waiter to tell the chef that "we were ready to eat now". After we had eaten our main meal it took another 30 minutes at least for the dessert to be served. After the desert our waiter asked if we would like coffee but we decided that we would like to get back to central Cape Town before dark so we decided to skip it. We paid the bill at the waiters' station rather than waiting for it!
As I said in the title, the food was very good but really the service time needs to be accelerated.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

We booked months in advance to have dinner here. So we we’re really looking forward to it. It turned in an extra humouess episode of Fawlty Towers.

First the service: this is the main problem. Not attentive at all. We had to ask multiple times for this and that. Not a problem once or twice, bit this was like many more times. Taking our order took forever. We already had to decide which dessert we have, never seen that before. I ordered a bouillon for starter and it arrived without spoon. Basic restaurant musthaves... we had a wine pairing with our meals, at main course the waiter poured my partners glass. The bottle was empty and the glass halfful. He just walked away. When we mentioned the half glass, he promised to top it up. When this didn’t happend, he promised again to top up when our couverts arrived. They came, but no wine. It came, at last, but the main course was already eaten. There goes your wine pairing. The fries that we ordered to go with our main didn’t came. Had to ask again. There they were. After we had finished our main.
By this time we we’re boiling and decided to go. The supervisor came and we explained we’re gonna leave. Paying no bill, as we stay in the suites at Jordan.
It was simply way under par. Can’t remember a restaurant with worse service.

Then let’s talk about food. The menu has 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 dessert (1 of them cheese). So a limited menu is presented, but we’re able to make a good choice. U can choose a 3 course dinner, choose yourself. Or a 5 course, then the chef chooses from the menu. Why you couldn’t choose 5 dishes yourself is a mystery to me.
I loved my starter, when the spoon came, the bouillon with duck was great. My main was a true joke. I ordered ravioli and was presented 3 pieces of ravioli. As a main. But like really. 3 pieces. The late fries we’re saltless. But exhausted of asking again, I left it. There is nor salt nor pepper on the table. They assume you like their seasoning.
We left early, so no dessert for us.

Then some words about the decor. The view with dawn is amazing. The restaurant looks a bit dated. And the curtains are damaged with holes. Not good.

My tips:
- Go visit a European restaurant, to learn about waiting, basic restaurant tips
- Put salt, pepper and a flower on the table
- Presented as fine dining: why wouldn’t you serve an aperitif? We’re on a wine estate! Or an amuse?
- Price isn’t the issue. Just make the 3 course menu 400 rand, with aperitif and amuse. We would have booked it anyway.
- The wine pairing is not fairly priced. In my partners case ordering single glasses, the same as the wine pairing would have cost 205 rand instead of 225 for the wine pairing.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

Although a relaxed breakfast in a shady garden setting with superb mountain views is the perfect way to enjoy the Stellenbosch Winelands our visit was interrupted by a necessary fire-drill for the staff. However, this did not detract from a most enjoyable couple of hours enjoying good company and an excellent breakfast scrambled egg croissant.

Thea v, Manager at Jordan Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Thank you for your review.
We are so pleased you could enjoy the superb views.

We rarely do fire drills at the estate, and unfortunately you were caught on the one day which we did have one.
We aim to try our best to be as quick as possible and get back to "business as usual". We do hope you understand that these drills are a necessary part of our health & safety services to ensure all our guests and staff and well looked after.

We hope to see you back at Jordan Wine Estate soon.

Best wishes