“Great Tour to See Areas not on the Tourist Trail”

Buenos Aires Off the Beaten Path Tours
Ranked #10 of 307 Tours in Buenos Aires
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The walking tours we offer are meant for people who love to explore places off the beaten track and for those looking to get the personal attention that can only be achieved in a small tour group. Discover the hidden gems of Buenos Aires found in a neighborhood (barrio) that you will not find in guidebooks, or become an eyewitness to an obscure period of our history, the last military dictatorship.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My husband and I really enjoyed the La caballito tour. We saw various sites that we would not have appreciated by ourselves. Elisa is very knowledgeable and pleasant and was able to answer all our questions about life in Buenos Areas. We loved the local market and the barber shop, although no singing at the time we went. The old confitería was so beautiful and yummy snacks! We were shown beautiful architecture as we walked the neighborhood. We ended at a milonga where we were able to see tango dancers. A lot was packed into 3 hours!

1  Thank 2onionsSF
381elisad, Propietario at Buenos Aires Off the Beaten Path Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Thank you very much for the lovely review! The neighborhood of Caballito is a typical area "off the beaten track". I'm glad you like the tour and hopefully, next time you visit Buenos Aires, you'll try either the Hidden Treasures or the Jewels Off the Beaten Path tour. Thanks again!

All reviews
"main cathedral"
"everyday life"
"tango hall"

Reviewed 19 March 2018

We were looking for a tour that was different from your standard experience. Elisa was so knowledgeable and the tour was fantastic! She knew so much about history and architecture-we learned more than we expected to. We'd absolutely recommend this tour to anyone visiting Buenos Aires.

1  Thank Mandy D
381elisad, Propietario at Buenos Aires Off the Beaten Path Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thanks for the lovely review. Come back whenever you want. You'll be more than welcome to keep on discovering the city's hidden gems!

Reviewed 10 March 2018

Buenos Aires inhabitants are known as Portenos. And Elisa is one of them! She is a superb guide. Her English is excellent and her knowledge in-depth. Ask her anything and she'll know it. Balvanera and Caballito are Buenos Aires neighbourhoods that no tour will take you, so this is unique and very interesting. We walked through a former market that is now a shopping mall - with the only kosher McDonalds outside of Israel. Then you walk the barrios with their own Art Deco architecture decorated in fileteado artwork, multi-coloured curly designs. The best part was visiting a tango salon situated in an old-fashioned barbershop. Locals sing their favourite tango songs (no dancing) while you get a shave (my husband did so and says it was the best he has ever had!). We also visited the church where Carlos Gardel, the famous tango singer and actor, and Pope Francis attended when they were children. We thought it was much lovelier than the main cathedral near the Casa Rosada. All in all, well worth the trip. Highly recommended

ELISA D, Propietario at Buenos Aires Off the Beaten Path Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Thank you very much for you lovely review! I also love the barber shop. It is amazing. So glad that you enjoyed my Authentic Daytime Tango Experience!

Reviewed 10 March 2018

I feel so privileged that I was able to enjoy a wonderful afternoon strolling through Caballito with the excellent Elisa on the "Caballito Through The Ages" tour.

This is so much more than just a walking tour, it is an experience in and of itself.
What a wonderful way to discover a beautiful and fascinating neighbour I might otherwise not have seen, as well as gaining insights into the daily life of the
people and the place.

For me, this tour was like stepping out of the guide books and into the life of the city itself. As I have taken other tours with Elisa in the past, I knew that my friends and I would be in for a treat - I was not wrong! This is a superb experience and I would highly reccomend it to anyone who enjoys going beyond the surface to discover a place's true treasures. I don't want to give away what you will see on the walk as that would spoil the surprise, but this is a special tour because it covers a lot of ground and you really get to see so many unique and lovely things. A highlight for me was the visit to "Las Violetas" cafe. Oh my, cakes galore and a stunningly pretty old world setting!

Elisa is truly passionate about the neighbourhood and really brings such personal warmth and charm to the experience. She is such fun to walk and discover BA with!
Thank you Elisa - I will be back!!!

ELISA D, Propietario at Buenos Aires Off the Beaten Path Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Wow! I'm impressed by such a detailed review! The Caballito neighborhood is really off the beaten track. Thank you so much for the review! And I hope to see you again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 March 2018

From the moment we met Elisa, she was a wealth of information that really gave us a sense of the history and people of Buenos Aires. She chose thoughtful and varied spots to point out architectural and historical points of interest. She was responsive to all our many questions and definitely showed us a side of buenos aires we would have not otherwise seen. If we had the time, we would gladly do another walking tour with Elisa.

ELISA D, Propietario at Buenos Aires Off the Beaten Path Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

It was really my pleasure to have someone so interested in the stories of my tour. I really enjoy sharing them with you. Thank you so much for the review!