“Can I Say Kennel”

Super 8 Phoenix/Mesa/Gilbert Road
Ranked #35 of 57 Hotels in Mesa
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Management family is good. Employees bad. The 3rd floor is supposed to be the floor if you have dogs. All the dogs seemed to be on the 1st floor where the dog owners just left them for hours. Dogs barking all night long. People being inconsiderate with music and tv up extremely loud. The walls must be paper thin including the ceilings. The room was clean and nice but when you add all the rest, I won’t ever come back. So sad that this is a Wyndham hotel. The hotel is also located next to a car was, auto shop, & residential. And I’m tired of going to a hotel where the outside doors don’t lock. Anyone can come in!! No need for the key card except for your room.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 December 2017

The rooms are beautifully decorated, spacious bathroom, comfortable beds........but the smell of cigarette smoke stole the comforts of a restful sleep. We booked a non-smoking room for a week long stay, but the overwhelming odor could only be tolerated for one night. If you are not bothered by cigarette smells this place is for you. It was not a pleasant stay for my family.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2017

I was just in the area briefly, and checked in slept and checked out. Wish I could of stayed longer

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 November 2017

I was visiting Mesa one weekend for a wedding. I booked this room 2-3 months in advance. I am a Californian, I'm not familiar with Mesa. I booked this hotel solely because it was the closest hotel to the wedding venue. It had nearly 4 stars on here at that time & all the hotels in the area seemed to be roughly the same price so I figured it's gotta be okay. The pictures online must have been taken when this place first opened. After driving 13 hours from Northern California on Thanksgiving weekend... we entered the lobby which looked like a normal lobby. The guy at the front was older and casually polite. No red flags until he said we had a smoking room. I didn't recall booking a smoking room (I don't see why I would because my husband and I don't smoke). But we were tired and thought, it would be okay since he had no other rooms available. WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE. Now i don't review things, ever.... I'm pretty easy to please. In all seriousness the first floor looked motel like but nothing too bad. We took the elevator the 4th floor, and it was like something out of a horror movie. Dim flickering light, large stains, a dog barking and a couple arguing all could be heard from the halls. We got to our room and opened it up, to reveal a room heavily stained with a thick cigarette smell. My husband ran to the bathroom after a 13 hour drive and was greeted by a toilet that had a cups worth of water in it.... we thought maybe that's just how Arizona toilets are, not true.... all the other toilets everywhere are normal bowls of water. After about 2 minutes, my head hurt so bad from the thick smell. The ac wasnt working right or something because the blowing air was luke warm (we wanted it to be cold since it was 84 outside). The windows were fully open, and it still smelled just as bad. The furniture in this room was so badly kept, ripped up and stained. It was horrible. I went downstairs to beg the desk person for a non smoking room, and he said he had nothing and handed me a can of air freshener (literally this happened). I tried to make it work by soaking everything in freshner but after another 5 minutes, we just could not even tolerate it. It was THAT BAD. Mind you, I am not exaggerating.... i promise you that. It was so bad, we went downstairs handed our keys back, lost the money for the room and decided anywhere else was better. We ended up staying at the Best Western Plus in Mesa (across the way). Which was heaven in comparison.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple