“Unbelievably good!”

Lobo Larsen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Even if you're only in Puerto Madryn for a day, you should not pass up the opportunity to get in the water with Sea Lions! The team at Lobo Larsen are awesome, we were a group of three individuals (France, Argentina & a kiwi) and Cecilia in the main office could fluently speak to each of us in our own language! Gringo, our instructor, is an absolutely dude with years of diving experience, he was very competent but also rad company, everything you could ask for in a guide. It might seem like a lot to be paying for something that seems to be over so quick, but having the opportunity to interact with genuine wild animals in their natural habitat is a truly unique experience– a priceless experience in my opinion. There are other companies that do similar tours but I would recommend Lobo Larsen, good gear, great staff, and lots of clear instruction and support both before and while in the water, I never felt I was in an unsafe or unwanted situation.

It is important to know that you won't be able to just jump in the water and swim around, there is a particular way to behave in order to make the sea lions comfortable enough to come close, which involves staying as a group nearly the whole time. Listen to gringo's instructions carefully and you'll be getting kisses from a sea lion in no time!

Thanks for one of the best experiences of my life Lobo Larsen!

P.s If you're planning on getting in the water during the colder months, don't make the same rookie mistake I did, get a dry suit! It's not that much more expensive and you will be grateful from the first second you hit the water. I choose the cheaper option, a 7mm wetty, and suffered the whole time!

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"puerto"
in 17 reviews

Reviewed 24 August 2016

We got along with Gringo and Cecilia very well, and they immediately took us in and made us feel welcome and cared for. Due to weather conditions, we ended up having only a small window of time to take our open diver course. They were very flexible in providing a schedule that worked for us.

Gringo is a strict mentor. We appreciated his style of teaching – straight-forward and clear – and we never felt unsafe underwater with him by our side. Cecilia was a steady foothold that always offered words of encouragement.

We greatly recommend Lobo Larsen as our experience was that they are both very kind and knowledgeable. They also will never ignore safety measures in order to make money. If you do not have the proper skill set and refuse to review your diving basics, they will not let you go diving.

Snorkelling with sea lions was one of the absolute highs of our entire trip, a must do!

All in all, we were very uncertain when arriving in Puerto Madryn about which diving agency to chose. But when we started studying with Lobo Larsen we knew that we could not have made a better choice. We are so proud to have learnt diving with Gringo as our teacher!

Lots of love/ Amanda and Elias from Sweden

Reviewed 8 April 2016 via mobile

I have mixed feelings about this. Gringo is a very strong personality. He pushed for us to have dry suits again and again. we were happy with the wet suits and they were just fine, we were quite warm and comfortable. When it came time to try on a suit Gringo asked me if I wanted a large or a medium. I chose a medium as I wear a m/l in street clothes and a suit that is too big will allow water to exchange which is what would make me cold. As I started to struggle into it he said I needed the large and I would not have had to struggle if I had paid extra for a dry suit.

I guess what I am saying is by this point I am not entirely thrilled about the upcoming trip. I am feeling a bit bullied.

Ceci was great to communicate with over the time leading up to the trip.

He had some training which was useful

My goggles kept filling with water and Gringo noticed and he gave me his which was a big help. The goggles were a little worse for wear and not adjustable. I also wonder how sanitary they were as they did not appear to be very clean.

The sea lions did come out to check us out swimming around and under us. The water was very murky so you could not see them until they were really close. But is was exciting to see them.

Gringo had us link arms and stay as a group. A good idea as some struggled in the water, but it seemed we spent a lot of time trying to stay in a line and then swim rather than just float and let the sea lions approach.

Yes the boat is a bit cramped when you are cozy inside, but the point of the trip was not the boat ride, but the snorkel. Although I love a good boat ride.

We were a multi national group. Two from BA, three Canada, one Israel, one Austria, one New York, and one French.

Reviewed 26 March 2016 via mobile

The staff were very friendly & professional. Response via e-mail was hit & miss. No deposit was required. Everyone speaks great english & spanish. A brief video was shown in the office about the do's & don'ts of interacting with sea lions. Absolutely no pressure to rent the dry suits or buy the video. We were even given a cheaper rate than we were quoted because of the exchange rate! We were warned about the choppy water & moderate activity level before departure. I appreciated the safety brief in the water before getting on the boat as I'm not a strong swimmer. The speedboat ride to the sea lions would have been much more fun & add to the experience if one could see out; 5 of us sat in an enclosed cabin. Upon arriving to the location, we swiftly jumped into the choppy water. I was thankful that the wet suits were buoyant & we held hands during the session. There were a couple of sea lions in the water but it was hard to see them because of the waves & how quickly they move. Truthfully, I was too busy trying to swim to really enjoy the experience. Gringo took a couple of pics of us with my camera which was nice. I thought I was going to drown after he pulled my snorkel off for the pic though. I brought a waterproof camera but wasn't able to get great pics or video. Another couple we met on this trip purchased the video & pics; worth the extra money in my opinion! I enjoyed watching the video of our tour rather than the experience itself! My poor husband was seasick the whole way back to shore despite taking the meds beforehand; Gringo was very kind. Overall, I would recommend this tour if the water is calm, you are a good swimmer & you don't get motion sick. You don't need the dry suit in the summer; I was plenty warm in the wet suit. Don't forget to wear a bathing suit so you don't have to don the suit over your underwear in a public change area!