“Come with a big appetite!”
Review of Don Pichon

Don Pichon
Ranked #13 of 131 Restaurants in El Calafate
Price range: US$12 - US$22
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2017 via mobile

My husband and daughter and I dined here on our last night in el Calafate before heading home. The restaurant is quite a way along dirt street in a residential area so a bit out of the way of the tourist centre of town. Inside the place was bustling with people even on a Tuesday night. We hadn't booked a table but it is probably wise to do so especially in the height of the tourist season.
My husband and I wanted to try the parrilla for two but there was so much meat it could have fed us for a couple of weeks!. It could certainly feed 4-6 people rather than the 2-3 listed on the menu. The lamb in particular was delicious but it was way too much for us. Our daughter is vegetarian so she didn't help! She ate the roast vegetables and a tasty Waldorf type salad.
I had no trouble making payment by credit card unlike some reports on this site. It was a rainy cold night so not such a pleasant walk home. I wish I had known they did hotel pickups.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,983)

Reviewed 4 May 2017

Down an obscure backstreet in El Calafate, Don Pichon is the spot to head for authentic Argentine grilled meat for locals and in-the-know tourists.
Spectacular views over Lago Argentino compete with the equally compelling sight of whole sides of beef and lamb being slow roasted over coals.
The parrillada for two, in true Argentine style, is a heaving cast iron pan full of various cuts, including skirt steak, lanb ribs and a succulent sirloin, all of which constitute enough for one person.
Embutidos include a gently spicy morcilla and chorizo, while the adventurous will love the mollijas, crispy and fatty sweetbreads.
An extensive wine list, with a focus on local Patagonian drops and juicy Malbecs from Mendoza is a perfect match for the array of meat dishes.
Desserts, many featuring dulce de leche, make a light end to the meal.
It is not the easiest meal on the hip pocket in Argentina, but for those looking to splurge for a full Argentinean BBQ experience and with a hunger worked up trekking at the nearby Perrito Moreno glacier, this is the perfect stop.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

We had dinner yesterday.. patagonian lam for 2. Roasted on open fire you can see from restaurant. Taste amazing, friendly but busy personel. Great that they also have pick up service at your hotel. Great place to eat and enjoy the amazing views!

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

Very different from other grills I had in Argentina.

They served in an iron plate that keeps the meat cooking while on the table. I ordered the Patagonia lamb for 1 person. It was the best lamb experience I had in my life.

I also ordered the vegetable soup. It was such a fresh taste when I could not usually find some fresh soup in other top rated restaurants.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

We went to this restaurant based on the excellent reviews posted in Tripadvisor. We all ate meet, not lamb. The meat Jag is far from what it use to be Argentinean meat. The house bife the Chorizo was very low quality and less than 300 grams although they sell it as 400 grams, the lomo was overcooked although we ask for medium and chicken was dry and hard. Just the fresh fries and empanadasd argentinas were kind of ok.

Don't waste your money go any where else.