“Always a pleasure to shop across the line”

Deconcini and Morley Ports of Entry
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I hear now you don't need a passport to re-enter the USA if you have two forms of photo ID. I always take my passport with me just in case. At certain times there are long lines to get back. If you've had dental surgery, you can go to the front of line 'with permission' and 'pass' the line. Also anyone over 60 is permitted to jump the queue. Great dentists and doctors within walking distance not to mention fine dining and sushi.

4  Thank TerriNewlon

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We parked the car on the US side for $4, then walked across the border. Took seconds to cross.

We had a lot of fun shopping and negotiating with vendors. We really felt sorry for them as hardly any tourists cross over to shop anymore.

Of course, the prices start really high. As a general rule, whatever price they start at, you can get down to 50% less. But know the prices of the items you want before bartering with them. We ended up paying more than we normally would because we just felt sorry for them.

I bought a ‘day of the dead’ stand-up figurine made of clay, among other things. One vendor kept giving me tequila as we negotiated....what fun!

We randomly picked a place to eat lunch, and it was better than any Mexican food we’ve had in the USA or Canada. It was so clean tasting, without all the sodium and processed flavours. Tasted like home cooking! I did notice that they had two different menus - one for locals and one for gringos. Guess which one was more expensive?

As expected, it was a lot longer getting back to the USA. I think we waited in line for about 1 hour. There seems to be this un-written rule that senior citizens from the USA can just by-pass the line with their cross-border pharmaceutical purchases. This really prolonged the wait time as well.

For some reason we were sent to another room for secondary questioning/inspection. We spent most of the time waiting for the border official to finish her non-work-related socializing with colleagues.

Interestingly, long after you’ve left the border on the Arizona highway, there is another border security check point right on the highway. You have to stop as they take a look inside your vehicle, and decide whether or not to search your car.

The trip was worth it, but be prepared for delays getting back to the USA. The delay was long enough that we had to abort our plan to attend the last tour at Biosphere 2 north of Tucson.

It felt completely safe in Nogales, Mexico. Be sensible and go during the day. If your goal is to do some fun shopping and eat a meal, then I recommend it.

9  Thank product-of-canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Better to walk into Mexico than drive because, upon returning to the United States, you will have a very long wait to re-enter

3  Thank brushcountrydweller