“Don't drive into mexico unless you have special insurance”

Deconcini and Morley Ports of Entry
Reviewed 21 April 2015

Don't drive into mexico unless you have special insurance. You can get yourself into a lot of trouble if you get into an accident if you don't . Your US insurance is not going to cover it. I would not recommend driving into Mexico for a day trip. Just walk across.
There may be a long line coming back. There is another gate just east of this entry and there is usually a lot less busy. It is about 10 minutes walk.

You have to bargain when you shop in Mexico. Be careful about what you eat in Mexico, you can get diarrhea. Don't drink the water there. Drink beer, can soda or bottled water.
Have fun and be careful. There are a few good restaurant in town, but you have to have a car. You can read my reviews on those. I work in Nogales pretty often so Ihave been to most of the good restaurants down there.

3  Thank Tom Y

Reviewed 17 March 2015

For the first time in a few months, they had adequate personnel. No line for cars or pedestrians, and the officers were actually friendly.

1  Thank Lyle M
Reviewed 4 March 2015

I crossed the eastern border on foot. Time into Mexico = 2 minutes. Returning to US at 4:30pm - at least an hour, while being harassed by beggars... The US officials were very courteous, there just aren't enough of them during "Rush Hour". I had a similar experience travelling to Nogales Mexico in a company shuttle - the Mexican officials opened the van door, counted heads and waved us through. The US officials took and processed all 9 passports, questioned 3 of us, searched under the van with mirrors and took about 15 minutes total. In a company shuttle that crosses the border exactly the same time every day...at least they didn't make us take off our shoes like the airports...

1  Thank Rob M
Reviewed 4 March 2015

The Mexican border crossing seems mostly interested in allowing tourists into their country. They were very quick and only glanced at my Canadian passport before waving me through the walk-across border. I returned around 4:30pm - only to have to wait over a hour to get back to the US. There was a long line of people (very few were obvious tourists) slowly heading north. There were several beggars harassing people and a blind man singing along to a small radio and asking for handouts (that got old real fast...). The US officials were very courteous and quick, there simply aren't enough of them at what is clearly a peak crossing time. Next time I will return earlier, or wait until closer to 6:00pm.

2  Thank Robert M
Reviewed 29 October 2014 via mobile

Was it safe? I suppose so. Was it foreign? Distinctly foreign. Would I do it again? Probably not. Am I glad I did it? Yes. We went on a Saturday on a whim. It was a quick drive from Tucson. I wanted to experience a border town for myself and not just rely solely on the media's negativity and bigger-wall mentality. We parked at Ed's parking for $3 and walked right through the turnstiles without any issues. Immediately there were at least fifteen pharmacies and several dental clinics. Culture shock was instant and I was glad to speak Spanish. The experience was unlike any other I have had between the mariachis playing to the crossers, run down buildings collapsing with disrepair and vendors hard-selling their medications to whoever walks by. We stayed about an hour before I felt an almost claustrophobic need to leave. I noticed there are several ways back in and so we bypassed the longest line that looked like it would take hours to wait in the relatively short line that took about 45 minutes to get back into the U.S. There is a separate line called solo sentri that is reserved for dental patients with doctor notes and senior citizens. That line if you can use it would've probably taken ten minutes or less. When I got to customs I showed my passport and had my bag searched. It was quite an ordeal just to cross for an hour but I gained some comfort with it and know what to expect if I ever need or want to go back. We saw several federales in full combat gear and U.S. border patrol on foot and in SUVs which added to the intensity of the situation and served as a constant reminder that there's a drug war going on and these are the front lines. All the storekeepers I encountered were kind and hospitable and I appreciated the opportunity to talk to them about life in Sonora.

6  Thank halleybopp