“One of my absolute favorites!”

Verde River Rock House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Payson B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2015

I've stayed at Verde River Rock House twice, and both times were magnificent! The food is amazing, the snacks and drinks are plentiful, and the rooms are very comfortable! Maggie is a welcoming host and goes the extra mile to add a special touch to any stay - she even makes sure to ask what type of refreshments (alcoholic or otherwise!) you prefer ahead of time! I gush about this property to everyone who will listen. I cannot wait for my next visit!

Room Tip: I've stayed in the main house and a casita. The casita is a little bit more private, but the mai...
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thewishfire

Reviewed 15 May 2015

The website is fantastic - reality was different.

We rented the pricier unit with the deck - but the furniture was all covered and there was no room on the deck to sit. The room is TINY but cozy.

There were no appetizers in the room(as advertised) at all and we were starving - thinking and being assured there would be appetizers(in a phone call prior to arriving)...there was just a basket of packaged junk food. I have no idea where all the beautiful appetizers in the pictures came from!

Since there must not have been anyone to prepare a breakfast like most B and B's (very confusing) they did supply us with boxed pre cooked bacon, plastic wrapped sweet rolls and eggs to cook ourselves for breakfast. Not very appetizing - we went to town for breakfast.

There was no other option for dinner but to cook for ourselves and the owner was nice enough to pick up food for us that we requested (rightfully we were charged for this). But the grill did not work and the only wine I requested was not what we were provided and could not drink it at all.

There is a refrigerator full of beer - if that is your thing.

The driveway is steep and sandy and while this is nice for the remote feel - it may be a little troublesome for some vehicles if you arrive late at night. There are no lights on this road. This is not a bad thing - just be aware if arriving late.

Suffice to say, if I were going to spend $250.00 for a room ...this would not be what I expected.

I think the worst part of the situation is we never got a follow up call from this owner even after we left a note indicating our disappointment.

We were on a 10 day trip through Arizona, I did 42 reviews of B and Bs, restaurants and activities and this was the only review I unfortunately could not rave about.

I have been to Payson many times and for $250.00 you can get a really beautiful location and a real cooked breakfast.

Or maybe I just hit a bad day for the owners.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Judi G
msbugg10, Owner at Verde River Rock House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2015

This guest was not booked at nor a guest of the Verde Rier Rock House Bed and Breakfast -- she booked a stand alone cabin from VRBO (which incidently has FABULOUS FIVE STAR RATINGS) and then expected full Bed and Breakfast services. When the cabin is not rented we do cover the outdoor furnishings so that they stay fresh and clean - most people appreciate us doing that rather than complain. Obviously this guest did not understand what she booked.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for my birthday. Wanted peace and quiet and that is exactly what we got! We stayed in the A frame cottage that was fully equipped even with food. Cannot wait for our next visit. Perfect weekend getaway....cannot wait to escape the summer heat to Payson !

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My husband and I stay at LOTS of B&Bs and even after a good one I am usually too lazy--I mean busy!--to write a review, but the Verde River Rock House is just too awesome not to share. We stayed in the casita, which is just darling: lovely beveled and stained glass accents, travertine tile, carved wood, beautiful (and sturdy) sleigh bed, not to mention that it is ridiculously well stocked with drinks and snacks and includes every desirable amenity. The evening appetizer is very generous as well as yummy; we had the artichoke dip. Breakfast was equally delightful with blueberry streusel muffins just bursting with blueberries. Descending the big rock out back brought us down to a lovely little path where we could stroll along next to the river, listening to the water and birdsongs. Maggie is the best host ever. She is so laid-back and easy-going you can't help but relax, but she must be a perfectionist in disguise because everything really was PERFECT.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cytohead66
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We visited this B & B as a couple with mother in law to give her a special little get away from the Valley heat. It was perfect. We enjoyed the river-side location, the covered deck to hear the water and watch the birds and critters. Maggie was extremely flexible with our dietary restraints and provided exceptionally delicious meals and service. The main house where we stayed was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. There is a 1/2 bath downstairs with the 2 bedrooms and a full bath upstairs as well. Great alternative to the busy Sedona scene!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family