“Wonderful stay”

Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We stayed in a two double bed suite with two teenagers. There was plenty of room. The resort itself is beautiful, the restaurant is delish! They also have a shuttle to a Mexican restaurant and Rusters Roost (steak restaurant). The water park is very fun, however, you must get in line early in the morning in order to reserve chairs. I think the resort fee is silly, should be included in the room since you have to pay for it whether or not you use the facility. The gym is very nice, great new equipment. Didnt use the spa.
There are ping pong tables throughout, but a lack of paddles and balls at the desk.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lisa W
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear Lisa,

I am glad to see that your family felt comfortable in your suite and enjoyed your meals at our restaurants. I hope that you have plans to visit us again this year for spring break. If you have any questions or would like assistance booking do not hesitate calling us. We look forward to welcoming your family back to Arizona Grand Resort & Spa.

There are newer reviews for Arizona Grand Resort & Spa

Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

We just spent 6 days here. Didn't realize this resort was the former Pointe at South Mountain Resort we stayed at 20 years ago until we checked in. It shows its age in some places but is still a good value.

Our room was spotless. We had thick towels, instant and constant hot water and a wonderful bed. Rooms have limited windows/light which got old, especially because the weather was so miserably cold we couldn't use the pool or be outside much. And we appreciated the extra space in the attached living room.

We had a wonderful pizza in the restaurant the first night but went elsewhere for the rest of our meals.

We had trouble with service...couldn't get a pot of coffee to take to our room, or get directions to the Preserve, etc. No one seemed anxious to help at all.

The resort was a confusing maze to me. I met another woman wandering around who said the same thing. And the place is just plain dangerous at night because the outside spaces are so poorly lit. We could hardly find our room.

But we didn't pay $300 a night for the room, either, so all I all I felt this was a good value.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank HHS71
resortgry, General Manager at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear HHS,

I am glad to see that you had an enjoyable experience during your return to our resort. I hope that you were pleased with the dramatic changes made to the property within the last few years. Thank you for sharing your comments on lighting and service. I apologize for the trouble you had finding your way to South Mountain Preserve and will take your lighting comments into consideration as we continue to make improvements to the resort grounds. I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our resort.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

With our 11 yo and 4 yo in tow, we ventured to this property for our final night in Phoenix. What a great place.

An oasis of calm and chill, this is a huge resort built on a hill isolated from its neighboring \ busy highway/retail area. It's obviously focused towards its golf-playing clientele with its golf cart driving valets/bellmen. But if you hit it right, water park lovers will rejoice.

WIth multiple buildings, apparently containing timeshares, restaurants, golf stuff and suites (like ours), it's tough to figure out initially. But we followed behind our bellman in our car, brought to a Spanish style building with an interior lush, green courtyard featuring a fenced pool and spa, fountain, ping pong table and rooms with exterior corridors.

Our room featured a sitting room with pull-out couch, TV, small kitchenette, bathroom w/ shower over tub, and a king bedroom with TV. Picture window in the front room facing the courtyard and a parallel window facing the parking area off the back of the unit.

Ping pong stuff was available at the front desk. They were so nice, we were very appreciative as we were there ON Thanksgiving. f

The steak restaurant fare was fair; service was great.We were told the barbecue joint at the top of the hil - above the golf course - was superb. The lobby had an oddly rustic lodge feeling. Big chairs around a stone fireplace with vaulted wood-beamed ceilings are what I recall. I loved it. It felt comfortable and welcoming. Maybe it was just the staff...

We walked around the property and saw other pools, surrounded by their respective assembly of buildlings. The water park looks fun. It's not the size of a Great America-type place, but it's got multi-story slides, a big lazy river and a wave pool. Staff said it's closed to the general public but that guests fill it. (It actually had a gift store with towels and bathing suits out there!)

If I return to Phoenix, I'd stay here for affordabilty and the water park (!). Having stayed at the JW Marriott property, this is not posh. It's grand and comfortable.

Room Tip: Being near a courtyard fountain blocks guest noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank SactoSteph

Dear Steph,

It is great to see that you had fun and felt relaxed during your recent vacation to Arizona Grand Resort & Spa. I hope you have the opportunity to visit us during water park season, as I am sure your two kids will love the seven-acre Oasis Water Park. We look forward to welcoming your family back soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

I spent a night there in the wintertime and was rather disappointed. The outside of the property looks great but the actual buildings and rooms leave much to be desired. The space of the suites is great but definately needs some touch-ups. The wicker furniture makes the suite feel more like a cheap motel room than a resort. The mini bar counter and coffee mugs were covered with old stains and the light switches look like they haven't been changed in 10-20 years. During my stay, I kept wondering if this resort used to be another property that had been somewhat renovated. The heater didn't work too well in my room and I had to keep turning the temp up in order to warm up at all. The resort itself does not have much to do during the winter yet it still charges a 'resort fee' on top of its over-priced rates. I wouldn't mind paying $200/night if the suite felt more luxurious or just more updated but if I didn't even feel like making coffee in my room due to the old stains in the coffee mugs, then I would say this resort needs to lower its rates, especially when its biggest attraction is closed down (the water park) and one is still made to pay a resort fee.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank sally04olive09

Dear Sally,

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay and concerns with us. Our resort is nearly 30 years old, and while we have renovated, rebuilt and replaced nearly everything throughout the years we have found that some of the original features give the property a sense of history and charm. I hope that as we continue to make improvements to the property you have an opportunity to stay with us and experience the enhancements firsthand.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Three of us stayed for six nights and enjoyed our stay. It is winter time so the water park was closed, but still plenty for our 12 yr old to do. The athletic center is outstanding. The close proximity to the South Mountain Park is a big plus for mountain biking. I rented bikes from Cactus Adventures on the recommendation of the hotel. Cactus Adventures delivered to the hotel and had excellent equipment. Well worth doing. All and all, this is a solid quality hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Bowser2003

Dear Bowser,

It is great to see that your family created your own grand adventure during your winter vacation at Arizona Grand Resort & Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back.