“And I was SOOOO hoping.....”
Review of Taco Chelo

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Taco Chelo
Ranked #1,266 of 3,287 Restaurants in Phoenix
Reviewed 2 April 2018

There was a recent feature article in the Arizona Republic about this new Taco Chelo, the owners and their history and their vision. The stage was perfectly set for us, and our hopes were so high as we made our first visit. But the food was so disappointing! ...dramatically so!! I mean, in a blind taste test with Taco Bell, Taco Chelo would lose on every item. The chips were cool and tasteless, the salsa was so-so, the chicharrones were stale and cold, the cotija cheese was a teaspoon at most, the cholula served with the chicharrones was just the same as what was in a bottle on our table, and everything was served in small plastic cups and paper plates. The quesadilla with carne asada was half the size of the palm of your hand had zero pizzaz. We had wanted to try the fish taco, but were reluctant to take on more disappointment. I left as hungry as when I walked in. The fare was so deflating!
That being said, the staff was great, friendly and cheery. The Margs were clean and fresh, but not a great value with about 4 oz.s for $6 apiece.
I hate to be so negative and would have loved to overflow with accolades, but the disappointment of this new venture was just overwhelming.

Reviewed 19 March 2018

4 of us came to this restaurant and it's good to get a table and then have someone in your party stand in line to order. The space is open and modern, and the food was fantastic! I especially loved the Jardin Salad. The greens were chopped so it was easy to eat, but it was my heaven. Really, the best salad I've had in awhile. We shared some of the tacos and Carnitas. I had a Santo Cabernet. Love the verve and atmospher of this place. Very comfortable and relaxed.