“Exceeded Expectations, Surprisingly”
Review of Hertz - Sky Harbor Intl Airport

Reviewed 5 March 2021

As a first-time car renter, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with Hertz's service. The airport shuttle took about 10 minutes to get from the airport to the rental car center that's located offsite. We got in midday on a Saturday, and I waited less than 10 minutes in line to pick up my car. I was expecting the customer service employee to be extremely pushy (add-on car insurance, upgrades, etc), however he didn't push me after I politely declined those additions. We were directed to a specific zone in the parking lot and was able to select any of the cars. Keys were inside the car when we opened the doors, and it smelled like a new car. Taking the advice of friends, we took pictures of all the existing scratches, dings, dents, etc. before driving off.

Returning the car was a breeze. Cleaned out our trash and made sure that we left the car as we had received it. So far, no unexpected charges! Leaving this review as it seems that most people want to just complain about their experiences, however I think that if you just treat the car as if you were borrowing from a friend, you should be fine. Would rent again from Hertz in Phoenix!

Date of travel: March 2021
    • Shuttle
    • Value for money
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed 3 January 2021

I am #1 club gold. My name hasn't been on the board lately so I called the locationt o give my arrival time and make sure they had my gold #. When I arrived my name was not on the board and there were many gold customers waiting. I asked for a manager
and was offered a truck when my reservation was for a car. After a lot of haggling I was offered a small BMW convertible. I hate convertibles even though some might have thought this was a great upgrade. There were three major things wrong with this rental. The first was that the girl at the gate input the wrong license tag # so the rental agreement showed it incorrectly. The second thing was the car had no spare even though they knew I was driving across the desert and dropping the car in Las Vegas. The third thing was the engine service due light was on meaning service required in 600 miles. I could have driven more and been in trouble. When I returned the car I spoke to a manager at the Las Vegas airport location. His name was Ty Sargent and he was uppity and rude. Instead of apologizing he tried to justify all of my complaints. He said NO CARS come with spare tires anymore. I told him I own a 2020 Lexus and a 2020 Subaru and both have spares. When I said I would have been in trouble if I needed a spare in the desert he said many of his customers drive across the desert and nobody but me ever mentioned not having a spare. Then I told him I was stopped by a police office and he had a problem with the incorrect license tag. Eventually he straightened it out but I was delayed 30 minutes. Finally, as for the check engine service light he said they service the cars when required. He saw nothing wrong with Hertz not doing the service before I rented the car. I asked for an adjustment on my bill and he refused. Hertz is in Bankruptcy and therefore they are out of cars at many locations yet still take reservations. My advice to my fellow travelers: DO NOT RENT HERTZ! I know I won't ever again.

Date of travel: December 2020
1  Thank howardweiss
Reviewed 23 November 2020

Last minute car rental at Hertz in Phoenix as my original rental was cancelled when I arrived late. Returned car without issue but when I returned home found additional $400 charge on my credit card - When I called the company they indicated it was a smoking and pet damage & cleaning charge - I do not smoke and did not have any pets with me. I contested the charge and received a blanket form letter indicating there policies - I requested evidence of said damage as I know they cannot have any and they have provided nothing - Now contesting charge with credit card company and will post these reviews on every website available - DO NOT RENT FROM HERTZ - PADDING BILLS WITH FRAUDULENT CHARGES!!

Date of travel: October 2020
    • Shuttle
2  Thank kimhR23GI
Reviewed 15 September 2020

I will never rent with Hertz again. I had a horrible experience PHX rental location and had an unsafe vehicle.

I waited standing in line at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport for 3 1/2 hours on 9/5/20 after a four hour flight just to get to the rental counter. Three and a half hours!!!! There were only two customer service agents working. Why wouldn't Hertz be prepared - it was Labor Day weekend. We lost 3 1/2 hours of our vacation waiting in a line. That is not ok. That is not acceptable.

Once we received our vehicle, there wasn't a Gold Standard Clean Seal on it. But, we weren't about to ask for another vehicle as the garage was pretty empty. And we surely were not about to wait any longer. So, we had to wipe it down ourselves with our disinfectant wipes when we got in it.

We were given an unsafe vehicle. While we were on our road trip driving through the mountains, my husband, who is a professional driver, realized that there was something wrong with the vehicle. The front end was shaking and there were problems with the alignment. We couldn't even pull over because we were in the mountains where there was no place to pull over. It was an unsafe vehicle. We paid for two extra drivers, so my husband did not have to do all the driving but my husband was the only one who could drive the car because he did not want anyone else driving it because it was unsafe to do so.

Hertz does NOT offer exceptional service and vehicles on every rental.

Date of travel: September 2020
Reviewed 9 March 2020

They have been bad in the past years, but they set a new record in futility, so I am done with them. First, the booking process was a bad experience as a result of agents overseas, who do not speak English well and are trained poorly. I advised Hertz customer service by email and it took 17 days to get a response, which was a form letter and $100 in Hertz coupons. Then, when we got the vehicle, a so called full size, it was an Altima, which Nissan calls a mid size on their website. It was too small for our luggage and too low to ground-difficult to get in\out and it bottomed out going down hills. Another complaint registered om March 1-still no response from the so called Customer Care Team as of March 9.

Date of travel: February 2020
Write Your Own Review

Been to Hertz - Sky Harbor Intl Airport? Share your experiences!

Add Photos & Videos
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.