“Delicious dining experience!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2012

We went here because we had a Groupon. After all the negative comments I saw on Yelp I was more than a little nervous, but we had a great evening. I don't know if they have a new chef or manager or what, but if so, keep it up!

[An Aside: If you are steadfastly anti-hunting you do not want to come here. I am not a hunt fan at all, and couldn't help but think that those stuffed animals on display would have looked a lot more beautiful alive. I couldn't help but wonder if the only reason this restaurant was opened was so the owner had a place to show off his kills. However, the purpose of this review is not a judgement about hunting, but about the quality of the meal experience.]

We arrived about 5:45 on a Friday night. We had a reservation for 6:00 but really didn't need it. There were only a handful of occupied tables at our arrival, though by our departure it was nearly full.

We were shown to a booth without hesitation. Our waitress immediately greeted us, and made sure to get our drink and appetizer orders in before the end of Happy Hour. She was helpful with the menu. She wasn't highly knowledgeable about some of the options (e.g., the fish used for the fish fry), but she readily obtained the info when asked.

Overall, service was very good - hubby didn't ever wait for a drink refill (iced tea). I did have to ask for a water refill once but that was at the end of the evening, at which point she had several active tables. She brought my wine in a little carafe, and poured just a little to give me a chance to taste and approve it. Don't typically see that outside classy restaurants.

We ordered the elk and buffalo sliders for appetizer. It was the first time I've had this meat, and although I'm not the most adventurous eater, I thought it was good. My husband had the shrimp chowder and fish fry with fries. I had the 16 oz prime rib with baked potato (also caesar salad).

The shrimp chowder was excellent, my husband said -- as good as any chowder he has had on either coast (and he's spent some time in Rhode Island and Washington state). It was light on the shrimp, but obviously made fresh. He was equally impressed with the fish -- as good as any he had in England or the coasts. He couldn't place the fish, and the waitress asked the chef, who said it was Pacific basai. The coleslaw that accompanied it was very tasty. The fries were large, like steak fries, with a delicious seasoned coating.

I was a little leery about ordering the larger cut of prime rib because so often that just means you get a lot more fat, but not this time. It was a big hunk of meat, and it was cooked perfectly (medium rare). Two rolls were brought to the table, but that was actually plenty. They were typical dinner rolls, nothing fancy, but tasty.

We were too full to have any dessert.

Our bill before the Groupon was $56. That seemed very reasonable to us given that we'd had an appetizer, 2 delicious entrees, salad, chowder, rolls, and 2 drinks (wine).

It can be difficult to find as it is not right on the road. Its on Power Rd, just north of Rittenhouse intersection. Turn where you see LA Fitness and its a little ways into the parking lot.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

The dead animals were great, makes it look like Cabella's, and for people who like to hunt. As far as a restaurant, not so good. The waitress was adorable and helpful, The meat (elk meatloaf) was good however the prime rib was super tough, couldnt eat it. For $20 a serving we did get a 25% discount (yea, glad it was a Groupon deal) The manager kind of treated us like an inconvenience for bringing the coupon, maybe thats why we got the tough prime rib? Anyhow, she did give us a complementary dessert, which was tasty!

2  Thank SoAJ
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I had the elk and buffalo meatloaf which was very good and was an exceptionally large portion. My wife had whitefish which she thought a bit spicy and the portion on the small side. Our server was on his second day on the job so the service was not great, but it was OK. Interesting decor, full size body mounts of bears in the center of the restaurant with mounted heads on the walls.

1  Thank RAS1500
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My wife wanted Outback steakhouse but the adventurer in me wanted to try something new. We know of some top-notch steakhouses in the valley but they are all towards the Tempe and Phoenix areas, so when I saw good reviews for a steakhouse in the East Valley I was excited to give it a try.

The bill was what you would expect for a top notch steakhouse but the meal definitely was not. The steaks were good but we were told they were out of A1 and they didn't have any more baked potatoes. We ate our steaks without sauce and had to settle for french fries - which were NOT steak fries and actually looked and tasted like what you'd find in a frozen bag of fries from the supermarket. The 'mixed vegetables' on the side appeared to be some type of ground up spinach and it was soaked in vinegar. So essentially on my Big Dan plate for $32 I had spinach that I couldn't eat because it was horrible, frozen french fries instead of a baked potato, and a steak (that was good) but had no steak sauce to go along with it.

Three of us went to dinner and none of us enjoyed the meal, including my six year old son. How do you mess up a kids hamburger? While the service was nice and my son loved all of the cool animals on the wall, I left knowing that I really should have gone to Outback instead.

2  Thank mypctechs
Reviewed 20 June 2012

I love the animals and the wide range of meals. The food was just ok.