“Heaven on Earth @ The Phoenician”

The Phoenician, Scottsdale
Ranked #21 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 25 September 2008

This was our 4th visit to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and our 3rd stay at the Phoenician. As always, our expectations were met and we were not disappointed with our investment. Everything and everyone from the moment we drove up to the property to our last goodbye to the staff at the Ice Cream Parlor/Cafe was beautiful. The rooms are fantastic, clean, comfortable and abundant with luxury. This year we were upgraded to a Casita - which was so much fun and a thrill for us...we would have been satisfied with a regular room but how nice to be welcomed for our anniversary and our third stay with such a nice upgrade. A bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries awaited us with a nice handwritten note by the Manager welcoming us back and wishing us well on our anniversary.

We travel the same week each year - Labor Day weekend to the Saturday that follows. It isn't in season for Arizona, so we already get a break on the cost - I suppose people think we're crazy for sitting in the sun at 112 degrees BUT it's a dry heat. The staff at the Phoenician always treat us like we're special no matter what time of year it is. We started this year in Tucson and spent Labor Day weekend counting down the days until we returned to Scottsdale.

The restaurants on property are all fabulous. Diverse menus and terrific staff - everyone wants to be sure you're comfortable and it doesn't seem fake. It's as if we were family. What my husband and I have grown to realise is that the Phoenician hires happy people who generally seem really happy to be working on the property. What we really like is that we see the same faces year after year. Even the housekeeping staff greet you with smiles and do such a nice job of keeping your room neat. I love what they do with all of our mess of travel brochures, magazines and all of our toilettries! We always feel safe and secure.

On our 2nd visit, we stayed at the Fairmount Princess and we were so disappointed. We kept going back to the Phoenician to hang out!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sonnie512

Reviewed 25 September 2008

I had the worst experience possible at the Phoenician in Scottsdale, Arizona.

First of all, the room seemed dirty and not what you would expect at ALL from a FIVE-STAR DIAMOND RESORT hotel... I would have rather stayed in my home city at the Drake in Chicago, but I wanted some sun.

Missing Wedding Ring and Chanel Ring:
The second morning of our stay, when we woke-up, the maid was standing outside the door waiting to come in and entered the room while we were in it. Note: she did not swipe her card. I accidently left my wedding rings on the night table. Well, I walked five to ten feet down the hallway and realized--in fright--that the rings were not on my fingers! We turned around and ran back to the room to the night table. In horror, we realized the rings were GONE. For some reason, the maid, even though she did not know what we lost, started looking for the rings!!!!

During the entire vacation we are talking to our insurance company and the police. We were talking to the management at the hotel, etc. Plus, I am on an emotional rollercoaster the entire vacation.

Well, to make a long story short, we finally get a call from the hotel while we are boarding our plane and they say "WE RETRIEVED THE RINGS FROM THE ROOM." This is six days later, after my husband and I moved furniture, looked between matresses and in closets, took off sheets and went through every piece of that room starting from one corner to the next every single day. Even the deck that we did not sit on. I will mention that the same maid was waiting for us to leave on the last day.

Final Note: After six days of a completely ruined vacation with police, the insurance company and hotel executive staff, the hotel offered NO COMPENSATION ON ANYTHING!!!!

We have asked for compensation from this hotel, and I was nice enough to not make a scene when we were leaving. However, we have not heard anything back from them.

Can you imagine if something happened to you while you were staying there and you did not receive any compensation? Pretty pathetic.

A Very Unhappy Guest
Chicago, IL

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank terrylowen
Reviewed 23 September 2008

Beautiful, well maintained property and professional, attentive staff. I really don't know what more you could want.

We came with a large group that pretty much took the whole place over. The service in this circumstance was outstanding. From our perspective, everything went very smoothly. Even the banquet food (which I don't have high expectations for) was surprisingly excellent.

Loved the water slide!

We had a wonderful, relaxing long weekend.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Msk6261
Reviewed 14 September 2008

The most pleasurable getaway we have had. The Canyon Suires accomadations are marvelous. The suite was bigger than my wifes home! The staff is always attentive to your needs, and go out of their way to show it. They remember your name and appear to be interested in you as a patron. The management is to be commended for their training and oversight.

By the way, unlike many other hotels we have stayed at, Valet Parking was at NO additional charge.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cheatedbyoutrigger
Reviewed 13 September 2008

This was our third trip to Scottsdale and decided to try a new resort so we decided to book 4 nights at the Phoenician. Upon arrival our check in was quick and the staff was attentive. The resort grounds are beautiful, and the location at the base of Camelback mountain is breathtaking. Our room was in good condition and spacious.

Now you are probably wondering why is this only rated at 2 stars. Well to make a long story short, I took a star off for every cockroach me or my wife had to kill in our nicely appointed room. Yes that is right, 3 cockroaches in 4 nights at a supposed 5 star resort???? Unbelievable. I have stayed at other resorts and had no such issues. I've even stayed at many economy chain hotels without this lack of pest control. Thankfully they left an umbrella in the room which we used to kill them. I'm hoping that this wasn't the intended purpose of leaving an umbrella in the suite. I voiced my concern at check out and all I got was a "well I'll write that down, but besides that did you have a good stay"??. So in case they didn't write it down and didn't take any further pest control action, and you are about to check in, just say no to Suite 7121.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple