All reviews the salt water pool free laundry service the river cano island costa rica relaxed vibe corcovado national park organic farm rio claro an adventure daily tours the kitchen staff bug tour fish pineapple whale watching picnic lunch
Reviewed 30 June 2018

Wonderful in every aspect. The food is unbelievably good, and the staff both efficient and friendly. The setting couldn’t be more pristine. We were a three generation group, but I would recommend this vacation for any configuration of people. The nature hike could not have been better with a knowledgeable guide who seemed to see everything. I have never had a nicer vacation.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank IWS_100239
Reviewed 23 May 2018

We had a wonderful time here but it could have easily been so much better. The room was good and had a view,to die for. Location was also good for us - sufficiently far from the village to have a sense of isolation but close enough for a pleasant stroll or kayak. Staff was mostly enthusiastic and helpful and the food adequate if not always inspiring ( And I did have to ask for a larger portion on one ocassion when presented with little more than a taster).

So what let it down?
- We were given vague information on where to wait for the boat from Sierpe (I now think this is because the hotel keeps its options open on whether or not to send their own boat - but didn't on this ocassion).
- On the return trip the hotel decided to provide their own service - but failed to tell us and so we arrived late for our transport connection.
- Guest numbers were low when we arrived and we felt standards slipped as a result - the pool had not been cleaned and lunch was served in a rather dreary building rather than on the attractive terrace.
- On arrival we were immediately given trip information. When we returned later to book the personnel had changed and we were quoted very different prices. As a result we missed an opportunity go on a trip on our first day
- Our snorkelling trip was cancelled at short notice and this was blamed on weather conditions - but we subsequently discovered that the same trip had run from other hotels with no issues. Was this also due to low numbers?

I am sure that most guests will have a great time - but you may have to do a little prodding to realise the full potential

Date of stay: May 2018
ticalinda59, General Manager at Drake Bay Wilderness Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Thank you for your review, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We try to accommodate each guest according to their needs as best as we can, and I will try to answer your concerns.
Before dinner their is always a snack served in the lounge area that all guests can enjoy, if someone has a desire for something else to eat we will bring them extra snacks at no extra charge. At dinner guests are always welcome to ask for more serving if they feel inclined to do so.
- On your way to Drake Bay my coworker specifically said via email where in Sierpe the boat would pick you up and at what time, so I am unsure as to why your unhappy about that.
- I am sorry you were late for your connection in Sierpe on your way out, but our boat leaves our dock at the same time all boats do for sierpe. Getting to Sierpe by boat can always vary in time depending on ocean, and river conditions.
- I am sorry to hear you find our dining room "dreary" most guests enjoy it being a few steps from the bay, surrounded by flower plants, and fruit trees, built with beautiful wood, decorated by local artists. You can sit with a cup of excellent Costa Rican coffee, watch several species of tropical birds come and go, and hear the sound of the waves, it is quite cozy and relaxing.
Unfortunately we were experiencing some problems with the pool pump, but that has been replaced.
- When you asked for trip prices I decided to give you a discount to try and accommodate you on a tour, I asked you to let me know as soon as you could if you would like to go on one of the tours the next day to be able to organize it. When you came back to the office later and you wanted to confirm a tour I am unsure why prices were quoted again if you already had them from me, this created confusion. I was hoping and waiting that you would come back that night so we could clear things up and organize something but you arrived the next day too late to organize anything.
- The trip to the Island was cancelled due to rough weather, ocean conditions were not good to go snorkeling visibility was low it would not have been enjoyable for you to take the trip, so instead of having you waste money and be unhappy I offered you to go kayaking in our beautiful bay and river, thankfully you enjoyed that and had a good time. I am sorry for the inconvenience of not being able to go, but I really don't think it would have been enjoyable for you.
We are always available via email or in the office if guests have questions or concerns that we can help them with.
I hope you had a good rest of your trip in Costa Rica. Maybe you can comeback to Drake Bay and go Snorkeling on a better day.
Cheers!

Reviewed 14 May 2018

We were a family staying here for 3 nights with 3 kids (4, 11, 14). We had a room for give but the Resort immidiately offered us to also use the neighbour room free of charge which our oldest kids really appreciated. The rooms had a fantastic ocean view and we saw of wildlife on the beautiful grounds of the hotel. There is a free laundry service which we used every day. We loved the pool area around the bar relaxing every afternoon after the tours. The hotel also offers to use their kayaks which our oldest son and his father did and saw crocodiles in the river next to the kayak! The food offered included was really great as well. We wished we could have stayed longer!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank smoesgaard
Reviewed 9 May 2018

The hotel is in a very nice place with great view of Drake bay. Rooms are eco style, simple and nice, placed in very nice gardens. Meals were well prepared, quantities were mediocre. Tours were excellent and their guides too (night trekking was a must do). The hotel has a dry room, extremely useful and a free laundry service.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

We had a great time staying here. The rooms are adequate with great vies of Drake bay, the meals were well prepared and tasty, the local tours excellent with great guides. Very happy that we stayed here.

Date of stay: April 2018