“Good Filet”

Price range: US$17 - US$32
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Both the restaurant and the adjacent saloon at the Grand Hotel in Grand Canyon, Arizona bring that old time southwestern sensibility to life with exposed timber, stone, ironwork and decor that's influenced by the area.The restaurant serves steaks, great barbeque dishes, Southwest-inspired foods and traditional western-themed fare.
Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Always skeptical of hotel restaurants, but this one is pretty good.

Cowboy salad + petit filet = wedge salad. It was too "deconstructed" for me. Tomatoes and onions should be diced not served whole.

New York strip -> rice side was either under cooked or left to sit in a warming tray too long. Either way, rice should not be crunchy.

8 oz filet -> this was the best choice. Nicely grilled and well seasoned.

Good beer selection including some local brews.

Argentine Malbec was so-so.

Too tired and full to do dessert.

Couple of dirty glass issues which they fixed right away.

1  Thank Dave G

Reviewed 20 March 2017

Decorated in true Arizona/western fashion, this family type restaurant offers steaks, burgers and such along with an active bar. The night we were there they had a country folk singer on guitar to entertain us and about 3 other people in the whole place! Our server was very pleasant and helpful and the food was fine.

Reviewed 15 March 2017

My husband, son, and I had dinner here while enjoying our stay at the hotel. The drink menu is nice and my husband had a very good steak. Neither my son nor I were impressed with the appetizer or entrees we ordered. The bar staff was very friendly and attentive, but in the restaurant they seemed disinterested. The atmosphere was nice, and it was better than the other steak house we tried in town.

Reviewed 12 March 2017

As we were staying in the Grand we thought we may as well eat in their Steakhouse. The prices were what you would expect for a ribeye and the wine was , in my opinion , good value.
The quality was ok, a bit fatty on the ribeye ( yes I know it is an integral part of the steak but this had lots of fatty bits whereas my wife's fillet was perfect.
Now the spoiling bit.
If we are treating ourselves we finish with a wee ESPRESSO MARTINI. A perfect end to a meal. Two were ordered.
My first sip was........THIS IS COLD COFFEE WITH NOTHING IN IT, NO KALUA AND NO VODKA.
Now we have drank these for years and know what they should taste like. This was nothing like a EM!
I mentioned to our server that we thought it was just cold coffee. He checked and said it had everything in it and INSTANTLY offered to refund the amounts we were charged. It just made me feel very suspicious, but as always one can be mistaken......but I know cold coffee when I drink it! ( unless the measures were tiny)

2  Thank Eddie W
Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

We had seen the less than favorable reviews but because the hotel looks so cute we decided to try dinner anyway...Before dinner we sat at the bar only to wait to be acknowledged by the bartender and told he'd be with us in a while...We watched him preparing drinks for the servers ignoring those at the bar. About 15 minutes later he gave us a drink menu; Int the end it took almost 1/2 hour to get a drink....the bartender was not at all pleasant or apologetic for the lack of service nor the wait...Dinner, in a nut shell, was over priced and the food was average; we did luck out with our server Sarah who checked on us a number of times during our lengthy wait for our food and was more than apologetic for experience and the night ended on a positive note...this was not out first trip to Tusayan and won't be our last but there are better choices than Canyon Star...

1  Thank Susan G

Been to Canyon Star? Share your experiences!