“Perfectly good whilst not being especially noteworthy”

DanRan Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 8 April 2017

In a city with several eateries, many outstanding, Dan Ran struck me as average - reasonable food, mediocre service, a fairly nice place to spend an evening (see below) if you are not in a rush and have a sense of humour, but I wasn't moved to come back. Interesting array of dishes (and I am no authority on Japanese cuisine, not by a long way) and drinks (Sweet Potato spirit was worth a try but didn't really taste of sweet potato - of indeed anything else). A pleasant outdoor dining area was nice to relax and chat in. Unfortunately the staff decided to bring dishes out for our group willy-nilly - desserts appeared for some, whilst others were still waiting for starters, and the food in general took a long time to arrive (we were told the place was 'very busy' though we were one of three small sets of diners in an otherwise very empty restaurant) and I must say that put me off. However this was only one experience. But I can't recommend it.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

The food was lovely, friendly and efficient staff and not bad value for money. Would go here if I was craving japanese food.

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

Nice ambience, good food, good service. The sake is delicious. I've had sushi here before and they werent so great. But it's definitely one of my top choices for japanese food in kathmandu.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

This is a restaurant I visit often because it is consistently good. The food is authentic and flavors that are just right for both Japanese and non-Japanese. Everything I have ordered is delicious from the tempura to tofu steak and the box lunches. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Kciff
Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

Really tasty Japanese food. The garden is nice and the service really good. We used to go often with my friends.

1  Thank bananalassi