“Have to try it! ”

Ranked #107 of 424 Restaurants in Fayetteville
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed 28 May 2016 via mobile

We lived in Fayetteville as students and have been back many times. We never dined at Herman's until now. We were hungry and went at 5 pm just as they opened. Met at the door and seated immediately . Service was attentive and helpful. We were the first customers of the day. By the time we left the place was packed. We had a half rack of baby back ribs for an appetizer. Literally fell of the bones and tasted great. The crackers and salsa are an interesting touch. We had steaks which come with hash browns and a salad. Cooked perfectly and tasty. The local IPA beer was good too. Final tab was around $100 but you could enjoy and pay less with other choices. Pictures on the wall celebrate Razorback history. Glad we finally tried this place!

Reviewed 22 May 2016

Had many friends recommend Herman's, especially their steaks. However, since our nights were going to be occupied with baseball games at the University Of Arkansas, our visit had to be confined to lunch. We arrived around noon on a Friday and the dining room was full and we had to wait about 10 minutes for a table to open. Steak dinner seemed to be a bit much for lunch, so we both opted for the half rack (6 ribs) of BBQ spare ribs. They arrived to the table, not as hot as we would have liked, but were warm enough to eat. The ribs were large and tender, with the meat practically falling off the bone. The ribs appeared to be a spicy rub applied to each rib which nicely complimented the meat. There were both mild & hot sauces available on the table. They were both a little sweet for my liking, but the meat was tasty enough where a sauce was not mandatory to enjoy. I ordered slaw as my side and it was served as I prefer, with more of a tart vinegar taste.
An complimentary appetizer consisting of crackers and salsa were a little head scratching and unusual, but the meal was an overall good experience.
We also looked up mid meal and saw Arkansas Head Men's Basketball Coach Mike Anderson walk in. What better endorsement for your restaurant than have the head coach of a local sports team be a frequent visitor.
The decor consisted of walls full of Arkansas sports memorabilia. My kind of atmosphere.

Reviewed 20 May 2016

I was in town for business and my associate suggested that we go to Herman's for lunch. She warned me that the exterior was nothing to excite the senses, however, she stated that this has long been a favorite among locals. I learned that Herman's started in 1964. Based upon the exterior and interior I would say that little has changed structurally over these fifty plus years. I say this not as a bad thing rather as something that really adds to your dining experience. I truly liked the old look of the simple white exterior and the dark, wood trimmed interior. This is definitely a place that elicits feelings of welcome and comfort for their patrons. A focal point of the interior is a large fish tank on the rear wall opposite the main entrance. As you look around the interior you will see many photos of other patrons of the famous variety both on a local and national scale. As examples, Don Tyson, the founder of "Tyson's," often dined here and was close friends of the owner. Also, the Clinton's (yes, as in Bill and Hillary) have been diners here as well. Their menu is not extensive but rather has a very nice selection of meats and meals. The portion size is excellent. Many of their meats are barbecued whether ribs, chicken or steaks. As we were here for lunch, my companion and I resisted one of their main entrees. Rather she had Herman's Famous Garlic Chicken which is two chicken breasts toped with house made "Garlic Sauce" served with lettuce and tomato salad and rye toast. She explained that this is a go to favorite of she and her husband. She also shared that they visit Herman's at least twice a month and usually more frequently. My choice was their Chicken Cheese Philly, which was a good portion of diced grilled chicken with a nice sauce, cheese, and onions on a tasty bun. The sandwich came with a side of grilled, diced potatoes. I tried some of my companions garlic sauce on the potatoes. That sauce is indeed very tasty. Give it a try. The sandwich too had great flavor and freshness. Definitely more than satisfied my nourishment needs. I do not know the next time I will be in Fayetteville, however, I definitely would like to come back here and try one of their steaks.

Reviewed 17 May 2016

Herman's is a very difficult place to visit. It seems they are closed more than they are open. I tried on Sunday and Monday, but they were closed. I finally found them open on Tuesday. The restaurant is located in an old house with a story that dates back to the 1960's. It's a quaint old house, but it looks more run down than historical. The tables inside are covered with traditional red and white checkered table clothes I associate with a picnic basket. A large aquarium sits against the back wall.

I think the reason I did not like the place is the service. The employees are not engaged. With a place with this much history, it would be nice if the employees cared and engaged. The lady pouring water never said a word even though I thanked her each time. My server was robotic and going through the motions.

I was not really enjoying the food especially against the pricing. Six ribs are $17. Rack of spare ribs are $25. For that pricing, I want fantastic taste or a great experience. I got neither. The hashbrowns are really country potatoes. The salsa and saltines were interesting. I wish I knew the background. Without the story it came off as weird. The same with the basket of lollipops at the end. She just set it down and walked off. With just a bit of explaining or sharing the history, they could have been cool.

I will not be back. I did not enjoy my trip. The food was too expensive for the kind of flavors presented.

Reviewed 12 April 2016 via mobile

This is a must visit place. It has great appetizers such as the baby back ribs and many more. The steaks are very good and the diced fried potatoes round out the meal.