“Good hotel”

Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nenagh
Reviewed 13 November 2017

I've stayed here before but not for a few years so I thought I'd review again. The hotel is well positioned for the town centre. The bar and its staff are friendly and welcoming. The breakfast staff are a little rushed off their feet but the breakfast is very good. They even have a chilled cabinet with smoked trout, crab and smoked salmon. Sadly they don't do scrambled egg (or didn't the morning I was there) or it would have been perfect. The sleep quality was great, parking free and wifi fast. All round a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
AbbeyCourtHotel_12, Manager at Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2017

Dear John M,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write such a lovely complimentary review of our Hotel, Lodges & Trinity Leisure Spa. Your feedback is important to us and I've passed your praise on to the relevant departments. We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

This hotel was lovely in every way except for the food. It's like being at home with the waitressing staff very mammy like but you're almost waiting for them to tell you get up yourself and get it. The food was shocking. Caesar salad that can't be a chicken CS as it's made already! Cold soup. A combo soup and roll that arrived separately. Roll when I asked what's on it was told chicken! It's tasteless plain breaded chicken and coleslaw. Side salad black and lifeless from being prepared sitting In fridge and Desert was soggy freezing dressed up with lots of sauce!!!! Tea ...... pot arrived with no tea bag!!! May improve or business/conference attendees will complain and go elsewhere I suspect on breaks

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
AbbeyCourtHotel_12, Manager at Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Dear 3ce,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and I have spoken to the relevant departments. We have an excellent reputation for our bar and restaurant and apologise if it wasn't to your liking. Hopefully you'll come again and we'll get a chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Had lunch here, just wanted a carvery, as was on the road with business, they had only the sit down order from menu service, I got the salmon and trout, with salad and chips, it was amazing, the sauce dressing the plate was so nice, and unusual, the plate, and general presentation was first class, this was fine dining for lunch which I did not expect, well done to the chef.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank leinsterdude

Dear Leinsterdude,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write a complimentary review of our Hotel, Lodges & Trinity Leisure Spa. Your feedback is important to us and I've passed your praise on to the relevant departments. We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

We visited in March this year for a special family event. The rooms were very old looking and could do with an updating- however, they were spacious. We ate in the restaurant that night, I personally loved my food (Duck and a Sticky Toffee Pudding dessert), however, one family member ordered the steak which ended up being practically inedible! It was a lump of fat on the plate. Other than that there were great leisure centre facilities and good service.

The biggest shock of all was most definitely a room that was stumbled upon when the kids were playing hide and seek in the spacious area next to our room (see photos below). There were empty cans, used opened condoms lying on the floor, cigarette butts and blankets. Now.. I don't know if this was from staff or guests or what it was - but it was absolutely shocking. It was as if it had been like that for days or weeks and not one member of staff had spotted this or maybe they were all ignoring it?? I did contact the general manager regarding this and he offered to rectify it by offering me a discount on my next stay, which I wasn't sure I was going to have but it was a nice gesture. However, my birthday was coming up and I absolutely loved the town, so I decided to email to which I got no reply.

It shows a complete lack of customer service and attention to detail from the hotel and it's staff!! The initial email from the manager was obviously just to prevent a review being put up for the public to see.

Anyway, I'm not going to tell anyone to not visit the hotel, simply look at the disgusting pictures below and judge for yourself. This was the most vile thing I have ever come across in a hotel and if that happened in the hotel I work in I would be ashamed!! An unpromising email from the general manager was definitely not enough to rectify this.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
10  Thank Niamh C

Dear Niamh C,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on our hotel even if it was 7 months after your stay. It seems that in the main you were very happy with the service you received bar a steak that wasn't to your liking and of course the storage cupboard.

The room your kids stumbled upon is actually a cupboard store for rubbish, damaged soft furnishings and furniture not in use and has a sign on it saying no entry. I'm very surprised you left your children to play unsupervised. We are a family friendly hotel but children should always be supervised in my opinion.

The general manager did indeed offer you a complimentary stay when you said you were not happy and showed him your pictures. He has received no email from you requesting another stay as you have stated in your review. I have searched the inbox of other members of staff including reception and no-one has an email from you requesting for you to come and stay again. With the shock you suffered on your last visit I’m surprized you would want to come and stay again.

However, feedback is very important to us and I have spoken to the relevant departments. We have received a certificate of excellence on Tripadvisor for 2017 as we did last year too. These are from positive reviews guests have left us on Tripadvisor. Our humble 3 star hotel will continue to strive to give each guest a great experience.

Great National Abbey Court Hotel

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

I wasn't sure what to expect after being asked by reception if I had "booked with the right name" as they couldn't find our booking, but I must admit that the level of service we received was excellent, friendly and attentive to our every need.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear emgmike72,

Great National Abbey Court Hotel, Lodges & Trinity Leisure Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nenagh
18.7 km away
Anner Hotel
#1 of 3 in Thurles
31.5 km away
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!