“Useless planning - superb outcome!”

The Grange Restaurant and Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Four of us set out to visit Musselburgh for some bird watching(feathered variety!). It was Easter Sunday. We blithely said 'lets drop in to North Berwick on the way back (to Newcastle/Durham) and get some lunch. Easter Sunday, no booking , no nothing, thoughtless! Arriving in North Berwick at lunchtime we discovered that all parking was full - until we found the last free parking space. We piled out of the car and set off into the streets looking for somewhere, anywhere, to eat,. By now we were beginning to regret our lack of planning and as eating venue after eating venue was found to be full. Our silly optimism diminished at a rapid rate of knots. Just as we thought we were going to have to miss out on lunch one of our group spotted The Grange - and it had one table for 4 unoccupied - phew! We had no expectation other than we would be fortunate and have some food.
The welcome was very pleasant and we sat down and chose the lunch of the day, three of us ordered cups of tea to go with the meal. Very quickly the tea was delivered in two large pots. It was explained that each pot had one tea bag in it and another alongside if we wanted it to be stronger and that a third pot would be delivered when we had exhausted the first two pots. Very sensible, very helpful. It struck us that none of us have ever been served with tea so sensibly - ever before! This was different and very positive. I mentioned that we had all selected the lunch of the day - a 3 roast dinner. It arrived remarkably quickly and looked attractive. The '3 roast' was made up of beef, pork and turkey presented with roast potatoes, a 'Yorkshire' pud, three onion rings and gravy. Every bit of that dish was delicious!! The meat was tasty and tender and there was plenty of it. Maybe a little strange to have no other vegetables but the quality and quantity of what was delivered was just excellent. We realised that we had really been very lucky to have walked through the door of The Grange. We followed up by having two dessert dishes between the four of us - excellent again!
By now you get the drift - The Grange got top marks from us for every aspect of the visit. We will be finding excuses to return as often as we can even though it is 2 hours drive away from our homes.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Food was very good, would highly recommend, service was also excellent, will definitely return next time we are in North Berwick

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Have been before and never disappointed. Excellent service. Food was fantastic and you have to try the sundae desserts.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Categorically, the best restaurant I have ever been to. Was here for a special meal with friends - I'm a vegetarian with a severe nut allergy and they made me my own special dinner menu (having been told in advance about how much of a pain I am!). I had a goat cheese gateaux with halloumi fries and broccoli with red pepper sauce. It was delicious and for once it wasn't like my meal was an afterthought to everyone else's AND it wasn't butternut squash/mushroom risotto (my fellow veggies feel my pain). I often feel like I'm causing a hassle but they honestly couldn't have made me feel more at home and not a trouble at all, they deserve a medal in customer service and everyone had a great time because they didn't have to worry about me at all! A MILLION STARS!

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

Go. Just go! Popped out for a quick burger with son and daughter. Thursdays in Feb are half price burger night!! Amazing!!