“The worst thing about staying at Sonas cottage is...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Sonas Cottage

Looking across the water towards the cottage
Bedroom Cast iron roll top bath
Check Availability
Sonas Cottage
Cinema room
Bedroom
Traditional roll top bath
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
scottrave...
ontario
“The worst thing about staying at Sonas cottage is having to leave”
Reviewed 30 May 2013 for a stay in June 2012
person found this review helpful

My wife and I visit Scotland every year and have spent time on Harris each of the past 5 years, we found Sonas cottage on the Internet and thought it sounded like the perfect place to relax and leave the stresses of our daily life behind. We were not disappointed, this place is fabulous with all of the modern amenities and is surrounded by stunning scenery, you can almost feel the stress flowing out of your body. This was in June of 2012 and I really cannot give a more wringing endorsement than to say we will be staying at Sonas again in June of this year. My wife and I have travelled to many beautiful places, however, I can truly say that no where we have visited has captured our hearts the way the Isle of Harris has and I can not imagine a better place to enjoy the majestic scenery and plentiful wildlife than Sonas cottage. For those who love to golf there is a great little golf course between Tarbert and Leverburgh the course is challenging and well maintained with the views spectacular. Well after a day of golf or sightseeing guess what you get to go back to Sonas and enjoy your own movie theatre or maybe a sauna or maybe both. The cottage is superb and really is an ideal place to stay and enjoy the magical Isle of Harris. This is a special place and if you stay you will not be disappointed, we are already planning June 2014 at Sonas.

Liked best: Location,amenities,movie theatre,sauna,scenery
Liked least: Nothing
Juliette...
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Wonderful holiday cottage, would highly recommend it!”
Reviewed 29 May 2013 for a stay in June 2012

Stayed here on our honeymoon.
Accommodation was great, loved the sauna, cinema room and views from the window.
Love Harris and Lewis. Had great walks on nearby hills and fulfilled an ambition of visiting the island of Scarp.
Cannot recommend highly enough!

• Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Keira1905
Crieff, United Kingdom
“A perfect, idyllic retreat - couldn't ask for better!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013 for a stay in July 2012

We stayed at Sonas for a week in July and we cannot rate it highly enough. From the really well equipped and clean kitchen to the giant bath and movie room it had everything we could possibly want. After spending the days walking and cycling around the stunning island there was nothing better than returning to a luxury house with a sauna and waterfall shower to ease aching limbs, and then a glass of wine in front of the fantastic view from the living room window.

A fantastic week in a fantastic cottage.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: View from the living room window
Liked least: Music system was excellent but not enough choice of music on it. Would have been good to be able to dock our own i-pod.
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Penny K
Grand Cayman
“Heaven here on earth!”
Reviewed 27 May 2013 for a stay in September 2012
person found this review helpful

I fell in love with Scotland the previous year, my first trip over the border I am ashamed to say. This from a well seasoned world traveller. I guess one keeps the best till last! For that holiday I was with friends and, amongst other areas, we went to Skye and I got my first taste of the 'Isles'. I was smitten. I then decided that in 2012 I would venture to the Western Isles. I wanted the beautiful cottage, the marvelous views, the sheep!.....well that obviously meant Harris famed for its tweed!! But I still wanted comfort, in fact I wanted more than comfort, I wanted a bit of luxury. And so I searched online religiously until I found Sonas.

Sonas is everything you could ask for.... In fact you need a week to enjoy the cottage and a week to enjoy the Isle! On arrival I was met by the owners mum, a delightful lady who showed me round the cottage answered any questions I had and told me where she was if I needed anything. I didn't know what to do first, run a bath and laze away in the six foot claw bath with the lovely bubbles selection, courtesy of Sonas or turn on the sauna and steam for a while, followed by the walk in shower. Then again I could snuggle down to watch one of the many movies available in the movie room and munch on the crisps and chocolate, again courtesy of Sonas. Or failing that, just relax on the leather sofa in the lounge with the complimentary bottle of wine and gaze at the wonderful view.

If you haven't guessed by now, my time of scouring the internet looking for that special cottage came up trumps with Sonas. Did it live up to my expectations? Yes, without a doubt. Was it worth the money? Again, yes, without a doubt. Would I go there again. Just try and stop me! I think at a different time of year, even in the winter with the wood burning stove would be great.

I've kept this review just to the cottage. Anyone who has been to Harris will know just how beautiful Harris and Lewis truly are and those who haven't should not only stay at the Sonas, but also get the chance to enjoy all the wonders of these beautiful Isles.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything. Cottage, views, even the owners asking afterwards if I had enjoyed my stay!
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Recommended for:
Older travelers
Jill S
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Luxury property in a stunning location”
Reviewed 25 May 2013 for a stay in June 2012

This was our first visit to the Outer Hebrides. I found Sonas Cottage after much searching on the Internet, wanting somewhere warm and comfortable in case the weather was poor. The property is absolutely beautiful, exceptionally comfortable, with everything you could possibly want. We loved the sauna and the cinema room, although didn't use it as much as we might have done as the weather was fantastic and the views from the cottage spectacular. We even saw a golden eagle from the property! There was plenty to do to keep us occupied for a week. Harris itself is beautiful with breathtaking views around every corner. I can't wait to go back.

Liked best: The beautiful location
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$189
Night
Week
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing