“and all things nice ...”
Review of Sugar and Spice

Sugar and Spice
Price range: US$3 - US$19
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Daytime cafe / coffee house and evening weekend Mediterranean bistro, relaxed atmosphere with excellent barista coffee served all day. Weekly changing menu themed on Mediterranean countries. Bistro currently open Friday and Saturday nights, extended opening from april. Booking highly recommended, well in advance. opening hours wednesday - Thursday 10am - 10pm evenings booking only, Friday 9am - midnight, Saturday 10am - Midnight. We offer outside catering with varied menus of fresh homemade hot and cold options. Venue available for private parties.
Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

I was on a visit up the Heart of Wales line from Llanelli with my daughter in half-term. We'd spent as long in the cycle museum as I could reasonably get away with, and with nearly three hours till the next train back it was looking like a Withnail-esque "We've come on holiday by mistake" sort of day.

Fortunately 'Sugar & Spice' came to the rescue after we'd trudged round town looking for somewhere suitable to eat.

My daughter is the opposite of a foodie, so looked a little glum at the lack of chips on the menu, but instead of the greens that were billed to accompany her burger she was offered a few alternatives and got a lovely little pot of pasta salad. She ate the lot (which is a rarity) and loved the hot chocolate which had the tallest peak of cream and marshmallows we've seen.

I went for the chilli from the specials board and it was both a surprise and delight. It was very spicy, but this heightened rather than smothered the unusually fruity flavour of the huge chunks of tender beef (no oily mince here).

I had my usual black Americano, which I regard as a bit of a test. So many places just leave the water flowing through the grouphead, sluicing all the bitter crap out of the exhausted grounds. Even if they get it right, and pull a well-timed espresso then top it up with hot (not boiling!) water, there's usually a trace of old coffee from the previous pull, or the taint of a dirty dish-cloth over the grouphead. This place gets it right, though, and clearly uses decent quality beans, too.

I also had a bottle of Peroni at not *that* much above supermarket price, and it was such a refreshing change not to feel a bit screwed-over by the alcohol pricing.

The indie soundtrack and super-relaxed mood of the place just added to making our day and we chilled out playing iPad games and watching people pop in and out and coo over someone's new baby, before heading off for a lovely hour's autumn walk round the rock park and lake with a real spring in our step before the train home.

Thoughtful and tasty food, lovely staff, friendly atmosphere, and only about £15 spent. Absolute bargain. It's just a shame that Llandrindod's too far too make it a regular haunt, but I'm sure we'll be back sometime.

Reviewed 30 October 2016

I had my birthday meal here this weekend after reading reviews on here. We went on weekend of Moroccan Meze... and it was lovely food. Everything was cooked beautifully and definitely gave a taste of Morocco!

If I was to criticize, it would only be the time that it took for the food to arrive. We were a large party of 12 for such a small place...but I did feel slightly like they struggled a little with such a party size. We had children with us and they did start getting a little grumpy as had to wait. But food was great, I do need to stress that.

And the owners were fantastic, such lovely people offering something different in Llandrindod. It really was a gem of a find and we thoroughly enjoyed our meals.

Thank you! :)

Reviewed 25 October 2016

More restaurants should realise that although some people love the regular offerings and always want the same meal, for many of us, a stale menu is as a big turn-off as stale food. Sometimes when I go to Sugar and Spice for lunch I'm thinking ahead of what I might have - then on the blackboard is something new, interesting, appealing, tasty and I think 'Oooh, that's what I want!' Such good, inventive cooking with good ingredients, friendly and efficient service, and a excellent cosmopolitan vibe that can make you forget you're in Llandrindod Wells for the length of a lunch break.

1  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 19 October 2016

We recently visited on a Friday night and the restaurant was quiet. We had a fantastic Morrocan meze full of favour and colour. Very welcoming and accommodating hosts would definately return.

Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

Myself and my partner eat here as often as possible. Feeding me is never an easy task as I'm a chef and extremely picky, yet I walk away from sugar and spice so satisfied with both the quality and value along with a truly warm welcome

2  Thank Scott R