“Best rabbit ever”

Ranked #13 of 58 Restaurants in Cafayate
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 March 2017

El Rancho is clearly meant to handle large groups of people inside, but we sat at a table literally on the street, next to the curb. As always, we ordered local wine, meaning Torrontés and Malbec, from a more than adequate list. My wife and I decided to share a dish of grilled rabbit, which proved to be the best rodent we had ever eaten, including in France, Italy, and Spain.

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

We had two separate dishes and my first choice was not available Without Cerdo aka pork,swine. Reasonable order taking but thereafter felt like we were ignored. After some 4 decade of wine tasting I feel I have a some valid expectations of what a Mabec should present. Questioning the waiters comments re our bottle was a No No. The plus side of our visit was having the 2 older singers do their rendition of Don't Cry For Me Argentina. Lots of other options here in Cafayete and we will try them

Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Don't expect much from a European perspective. Quality of meat was medium, preparation also somewhat "without love". On a positive note, the waitress was really nice.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

I've lived in Salta for 8 years and this is the place we take people when we want them to try really good traditional food.

Their meat is good. It will be served a punto as meat is traditionally cooked in Argentina. I love the empanadas. Really fantastic. And pretty much everything on their menu is what you can expect to enjoy from a traditional Argentine restaurant.

I've read quite a few negative reviews here and sometimes I think it's a matter of people expecting things that just don't make sense. If you want your meat rare, you're probably better off going to a different country. Typical parilla is not rare.

I love going there bc the food is always good, and there are always other kids for my kids to play. The waitstaff are lovely, and while I've seen some people complaining about slow service, I've had good experiences. Maybe not lightening fast, but I don't mind sitting and chatting over wine and empanadas (which always come quickly) while I wait for hte rest of my meal.

Reviewed 10 December 2016 via mobile

Good local cuisine, tasty empanadas (cheese+++), very good bife de chorizo. The only disappointment is the slow and lazy service...and no functional wifi