Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge
Gibbs Farm(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
US$614
US$594
  • Restaurant
Ngorongoro Forest Tented Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)(Great Value!)
US$253
  • Breakfast included
Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)(Great Value!)
US$556
US$536
Orbitz.com
  • Spa
Neptune Ngorongoro Luxury Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
US$886
US$806
Priceline
Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)(Great Value!)
US$444
US$417
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Lake Ndutu Luxury Tented Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
US$500
Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
US$664
US$564
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
The Manor at Ngorongoro(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
US$1,113
Lemala Ngorongoro Tented Camp(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewswood stovehot waterone nightdining roomback porchbig fireplacecrater rimnice balconywater buffalorestaurant areawarm blanketsplenty of blanketsherd of buffaloopen fireplacebuffet stylecentral fireplaceboth dinner and breakfast
Reviewed 17 December 2017

The hotel is a bit basic but the price is right on target. As a single traveler I only paid a $15 single supplement. Most of the other Lodges I considered in the Ngorongoro were asking for a minimum of $100 for the single supplement. Food was great. Not too far from the decent road. Thankful eTrip Africa recommended Rhino Lodge as it was just right for me.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 December 2017

Stayed 1 night at the Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge, and so glad I did!

I had one of the best wildlife experiences of my trip sitting out on the balcony of my room around 6 am watching the sun rise and hoping to see an animal grazing. What I saw blew my mind! I saw about 100 cape buffalo walk past me as they grazed. I was alone, no one else on their balconies, wrapped in a Maasai blanket, quietly watching them and trying not to move or even breathe. It was exhilarating and terrifying at the same time, as I was well aware of their reputation.

The lodge has a history and connection to the crater that you feel immediately. Maasai work at the lodge, and may own or partly own the lodge, which is great. I loved the Maasai themed rooms with the red Maasai blankets and the wood stove which I did not need to use. They provide plenty of blankets and hot water bottles for colder nights. The shower had ample hot water with excellent water pressure.

The breakfast and dinner was buffet style with lots of choices for meat eaters and vegetarians/vegans and all very tasty. The restaurant has excellent views of the surrounding forests with a very cosy fireplace in the centre.

It's important to note the Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge is not located right on the crater rim, but rather inland a bit from the rim edge but still on the top of the crater rim. The views are not of the crater (looking down into the crater) but rather views of the dense crater forest that grows in the nutrient rich rust-colored crater soil. I loved this location and felt it was more in keeping with this eco-friendly lodge - one with nature.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank antwerp88
Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in a room that opened to a covered walkway and courtyard where a large stork stood inconspicuously in the garden. We had a rear deck that was visited by several inquisitive, elegant water bucks who appeared through the morning fog. The lodge’s intimate dining room was surrounded by an outside deck where we could relax and take in the view while enjoying the heat from an outdoor fireplace. The evening meals began with rich soup followed by salad and dishes like robust stew, vegetables and other hearty options that were perfect for the chilly weather. All of the food and beverage service staff were professional, welcoming and friendly and always made sure that we had everything we needed. During dinner a staff person went to each table and offered to start a fire in the wood burning heater in our rooms. We returned to our warm room to enjoy this remote and eco-friendly hideaway on the rim of Ngorogoro Crater. We highly recommend a stay at this unique, enchanting and otherworldly place.

Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night on our way into the crater. The best shower we had in 4 weeks! Very powerful and hot! Really nice cozy room with lovely balcony looking over the forest. Fantastic buffet for dinner and breakfast in a really nice dining room. Wood fired heater available in rooms. Hotel also has a clever combination of solar panels, batteries and genrators as a power source, which should be the norm around these parts.

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on way to crater from Serengeti park. Was a lot bigger and busier than some of our other accommodation on the trip. The room was nice and the fire at night was a good touch. We found the food to be only ok.
Bonus points for zebra gently grazing at our balcony!