“Nice view and location”

Toraja Torsina Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Rantepao B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2016 via mobile

I spent 3 nights at Torsina Hotel and I must say that I love it. My children loves the pool and play in the garden. The room is simple, not too exclusive like some other options in Toraja, but the view is worth it and the staff is nice. My favorite thing to do in the morning is enjoying breakfast in the restaurant while seeing the field.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 September 2015

When I visited Toraja in January 2015, my guide recommended the Toraja Torsina Hotel – and while I don't regret staying there, I have mixed feelings...

In terms of location, the Toraja Torsina Hotel is perfect – it's around 20-30mins walk from the centre of Rantepao, which means you won't be kept awake by the noise of traffic and general city life. Moreover, the walk to the hotel is straight, safe and I never felt threatened, even when there was an epic power cut and I had to find my way back in the glare of car headlights.

The rooms in the hotel are pretty basic – and while I was assured the bathroom had hot water when I checked in, it turned out that hot water only came from the basin tap, not the shower! But the bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and I had a wonderful view over the pool and local area from the hotel balcony.

When I stayed at the Toraja Torsina Hotel I was the only guest, and that's why I have reservations about recommending it to other travellers...

Every time I walked through reception the owner quizzed me on where I was going, and she'd clearly briefed all the staff to try and talk me into buying dinner at the hotel. As Rantepao is an interesting town I wanted to explore and eat at different places each night – and I did not like feeling pressurised to eat in the hotel restaurant.

Also, on the last day of my visit, every ATM in Rantepao malfunctioned, and I could not withdraw any more local currency. Luckily, I'd already squirrelled away enough money to pay my hotel bill in Rupiah – but when I asked the hotel owner if I could pay some of the bill using my emergency US dollars, so that I'd have some local currency to buy food at Makassar airport, she flatly refused, even though I offered to pay extra to cover any money-changing fees.

The owner also charged me for a late check-out – which I thought was cheeky as there clearly weren't any other guests who needed the room – and when I came back to the hotel one night in the early hours of the morning, the front gate was locked and I had to climb over the back wall to get in!

Perhaps I'm being too tough on the Toraja Torsina Hotel – after all, the room was good value, the restaurant and cleaning staff were friendly and courteous, and returning to my room was a welcome break from the hustle and bustle of Rantepao. But as I was the only person staying in the hotel, and I'm a polite and respectful guest, I felt a little disappointed by the owner's sniffy attitude.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the restaurant - the router is located behind the counter, and the wifi is pa...
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank DSMcComb
Reviewed 17 August 2015 via mobile

First off, this is not the Ritz. This is a decent hotel in a small village of ~20.000 people. Keep that in mind. The rooms are clean but only 1 to 2 star. Yet, everything you really need (electricity, hot water) is there. AC is not there but you don't need it since Rantepao is cool enough anyway. Highlights are the beautiful view from the rooms as well as friendly staff and good, central yet quiet location. You can easily get anywhere with the tug-tugs just outside the hotel at the main road.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank BigD_Ali
Reviewed 18 July 2015 via mobile

Unfortunately the Hotel was not as nice as expected. Rooms are really old, the Restaurant is overpriced and not very good, for breakfast you get dry, old and cold toast, the coffee is cold too and the most annoying: they charge higher prices than indicated on their web page! All in all: unprofessional place and definitely not worth the price

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2015

We were greeted with a fruity welcome drink. The check in was fast, because we were the only ones in the hotel. The service, pool, food and surroundings were fabulous, enjoyable, and excellent.
The friendly staffs were very helpful when we complained about the shower conditions. The hot water is still based on a gas heater which is installed over the bath tub. We never could get the water adjusted to have it running with a comfortable temperature. Unfortunately the rooms are old and could use a fresh and new interior including the changing of the carpet. The size of the room is very big and so much could be done with it.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rantepao
2.5 km away
3.7 km away
Hotel Marante Toraja
Hotel Marante Toraja
#6 of 9 in Rantepao

Been to Toraja Torsina Hotel? Share your experiences!