“Very accommodating staff, delicious breakfast”
Review of The Theodore Hotel

The Theodore Hotel
Ranked #7 of 103 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I, my husband and 4-month old son stayed at The Theodore Hotel last April 15, 2012. We got to stay there because of the group-buying voucher I purchased last year which was priced at 50% off the regular rates. The voucher was valid only for the Superior rooms and only during weekdays, which was Sunday to Thursday, but that was okay for us. We didn’t have the usual inclusions for the regular rate but at least the breakfast was included. I made reservations via email a few days prior. I was happy with their response time and their patience in answering a lot of my questions. Reservations were easy and stress-free.

When we arrived, they were ready for us. I just presented to them a copy of my voucher and we were immediately assisted to our room. We stayed at Room 7 which was The Whimsical Garden, as per my request, located on the second floor. The room was big and cozy with a King sized bed and day bed where my son slept. It had an outdoor area with a coffee table and chairs but no view. For the room, the only problem was that there were a lot of hair strands on the floor near the bed and on the small, green carpet at the foot of the bed. For the bathroom, it was clean with towels and toiletries. There was no soap dish, though. So after we washed, we just placed the soap on top of the counter. It was a bit disappointing and management should look into that.

By the afternoon, we went out to their garden. It was spacious and beautiful, overlooking Taal Volcano and the Lake. We took some pictures then went back to our room to freshen up for dinner. But when we got back, the air conditioner started emitting a funny smell. After a few minutes, it smelled like we were beside a public toilet. So we called up front desk and a personnel arrived soon after. He checked and tested the unit and told us to observe it for a few more minutes since the utility person was not present. My son and I went out of the room to get some fresh air. When we went back about 15 minutes later, the smell was the same so we called up front desk again. Fortunately, they were very accommodating. They transferred us to another room on the second floor. This room was Room 5, I think, which was The Moorish. It was very spacious compared to Room 5 and it had a veranda overlooking the main highway. A bit noisy, but I didn’t mind because I prefer large windows with a view. It had a King-sized bed and a day bed which looked more like a double-sized bed that can actually accommodate 2 persons. The bathroom was clean with toiletries. But again, no soap dish. For the room, it had the same problem as Room 5. The floor and small carpet still had hair strands but fewer than that of Room 5.

Morning came and we were greeted with a smile by the front desk officer when we went down for breakfast. We lounged at the cabana while waiting for our breakfast. We took some more pictures and when our breakfast came, it was heaven. I ordered their Ham and Cheese omelet. And boy was it a feast! It came in a huge plate with potato wedges, two slices of bread, butter, fruits, coffee and juice. The omelet was so delicious I actually closed my eyes and smiled after I took the first bite. The cheese inside was melted and the ham was just right. Exactly how I envisioned an omelet should be. My hubby ordered their Beef Tapa and it was enjoyable as well.

After breakfast, hubby wanted us to try the spa. Unfortunately, it was already fully booked for the morning. So we just went back to our room and slept for a bit.

Check out was hassle-free. The front desk officer was friendly and thanked us for staying there.

My verdict: Needs Improvement on: No. 1. - The Hair strands on the small carpet by the foot of the bed; and No. 2 - the soap dish on the bathroom sink.

Overall, we had a satisfying and comfortable stay, save for the minor glitch of the air conditioner and the hair strands. And probably the best parts of our stay were the accommodation, as each room is decorated differently, and the complimentary breakfast.

I can’t comment much on the rates because I got it for a discounted price online. But looking at their published rates, I think it’s reasonable enough considering what’s included with it.

Finally, I would recommend this hotel for those who want to relax and be pampered at the same time.

Room Tip: Vista Deluxe rooms are better as they have a view of either Taal Volcano or the garden and they have...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Robi C

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed two nights at the Theodore Hotel as part of a trip around the Philippines and were pretty impressed! It's a cute quirky hotel with some really nice touches - different themes to all the rooms, nice original art on the walls and stunning views.

The food was very nice, though the restaurant set-up was odd - we were the only ones sitting in what was basically reception, getting our food delivered to the tables which weren't really set-up for food! It's probably not like that in the busier periods - we didn't really see anyone else staying there.

The massages are lovely - we enjoyed our free one so much we paid for another one the following evening.

Good facilities in the bed/bathroom though the wifi only works in the communal areas which was a bit annoying.

Agree with a previous comment that it would be better for the hotel to organise the volcano trips directly - the only reason anyone would stay there would be to see the volcano so it would be well worth it for them!

I left my high heels under the bed and they chased our taxi down the road to return them so for that alone I was pretty impressed too!

Room Tip: We were in room 7 with no view at all - I think you have to pay a lot more to confirm you'll be...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charlie_girling
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We were there with my fiance' last Saturday as his late valentines date for me. The garden was really beautiful and relaxing with its swing chair and wooden hut with cool decorations. We had a dinner in one of the hut and it was so romantic with all the decorative lights and fascinating view of the Taal Lake!! The garden has a built in radio speakers hidden beneath the flower which makes the dinner more romantic! Annnnd the staff were so pleasant and accommodating,thanks to the waiter who lighted our candle and took pictures of us while having dinner hehehe!! We checked in room number 8 at the 2nd floor. It doesn't have a view of Taal Lake since it is at the middle but it's just 1 room away from the balcony where you can sit and enjoy the view of the lake and the garden while having coffee. I love the interior decors of the room especially the round wooden mirror and the Bible inside the drawer! It's touching to see such book instead of fancy magazines that are unnecessary. Supplies are all new, 2 body towels and 3 small towels, toilet is clean, including body lotion which i took home with me hehehe! With wifi too!
Overall, Theodore is such a great place to stay in if you want a relaxing weekends/holidays. It's worth more than what you paid for...in short SULIT!!! hehehe!!! Hope to visit the hotel soon again!!!
Stayed: February 24-25, 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leny A
Reviewed 4 January 2012

For our stay the hot water only worked intermittently. We had to complain every time we had to take a shower. Staff is great and will assist as much as they can but they don't seem to get much help from the management so it takes a while to get anything done. We were there to see the lake and while they have a great view it was extremely disappointing that they had no way of getting us to and from the lake. We had to pay an exorbitant amount to get there. I would also suggest that you make sure the room you get is not a room with no windows because they tried to give us that at first. Imagine a hotel room overlooking the lake with no windows. It felt like a tomb, like any room would without a window. We didn't want to pay for the expensive room with the greatest views but a window would be nice to get some natural light. They graciously did put us there. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this property because I feel like they are still working out the kinks. The hotel is relatively new so perhaps with time they will make it right but it is not yet. The food is ok, but again the service people are very helpful. I would recommend a meal in their outside area overlooking the lake. That's worth every penny.

Room Tip: Amazingly, you do have to ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ItMatters85
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Hubby and I celebrated our wedding anniversary here. We stayed for 2 nights and had the hotel all to ourselves. Service was very good and personalised (probably because we were the only guests that time?). The suite we got had a great view of the lake. Breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple