Chiangsaen Golden Land Resort 2(Chiang Saen)(Great Value!)
US$17
US$50
US$36
Priceline
US$40
US$31
Agoda.com
Gin's Maekhong View Resort & Spa(Chiang Saen)(Great Value!)
US$31
US$17
Baan Thai Resort(Chiang Saen)
US$21
US$20
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Buakum Rim Khong(Chiang Saen)
US$15
Orbitz.com
Buakum Resort(Chiang Saen)(Great Value!)
US$13
US$8
Priceline
Ban Sabaidee(Chiang Saen)
US$16
US$1,312
US$1,091
Hotels.com
All reviewschiang saen lakeoverlooking the lakebird lifewonderful hostsnorthern thailandoff the beaten trackthe cottagesowner's motherheart and soulperfect place to relaxenglish breakfasta wonderful staydelicious thai foodsmall resortwatching the sunsetcouple of nightslow season
Reviewed 14 September 2012

What a beautiful place! Gorgeous location overlooking the lake, very peaceful, and the attention to detail is terrific. Terrific hospitality from Ian, Jim and Mum! Great food, loved the rooms, what a good night's sleep! I will return!

Room Tip: Ask for "Egret!"
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Hi Martin-on-the-Harley,
Thank you very much for your review. It's good to know you enjoyed our super comfy beds, home cooking and beautiful lakeside location. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime.
Ian & Vassana (Jim)

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Outstanding place, excellent food and very friendly staff. Possibly the best place we've stayed at in Thailand. Will be back soon.
Viang Yonok is also great as base for visiting the beautiful surrounding area. Our trips with Ian and Deng were most interesting and a lot of fun.
Thanks again to Ian, Jin, Deng and all the team at Viang Yonok for a memorable stay!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Zgander
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Hi Zgander,
Thank you so much for your review. It is great to know you had a memorable time here at Viang Yonok and enjoyed our cuisine and tours to the less visited and "real" areas of northern Thailand.
We look forward to seeing you back to visit again.
Ian, Vassana, Daeng and the team

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I came here to Ian and Vassana's place last September 2.

I arrived at Chiang Rai airport feeling empty-headed and didn't know what to do upon arriving. Their guide, Kun Deng, was there to pick me up and asked me if I'd like to go home back to the hotel or see some sights before going to the hotel to settle down.

I opted to see some sights before going first to the hotel since I arrived here at around 1pm. I was very satisfied with Deng's choice of spots that I gave her the chance to guide me around the place(except for the last day) for the duration of my stay.

Upon arriving to the hotel, I was first greeted by Vassana and later by Ian since he had just arrived from a motorbike trip around the area. As with the selection of tourist spots, I gave them the choice of selecting my meals with a provision that I'll be served a different meal for lunch and dinner.

The surroundings of the compound projects a feeling of relaxation and that you can leave all your worries behind. The grounds are properly tended that you can walk barefooted(and I really recommend it!) without worrying about rocks or stones.

I stayed in the Waterhen room and enjoyed my room a lot! It is facing the lake across the road and you should see the lake either on sunrise or sunset.

There are lots of places to look at. I am grateful that I stayed in this hotel since the owners are very knowledgeable with the area. Since I like to take a closer, more introspective look on places where I travelled, I tend to stay longer than usual. From what I have seen, my 5 days wasn't enough. I believe it will take about a month to see all the places around here.

Though 5 star is the highest rating here, I prefer to give them a 6-star rating on all counts. The reason why I give this is that this place is very special to me that Ian and Vassana treated me more as a family member rather than the customer. They are very concerned with the needs of their visitors. Thanks for celebrating that special occasion with me, Ian, Vassana and Kun Deng!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Hi Joe G,
Thank you very much for your time in giving us a 6-star review!
It is wonderful to know you were so happy staying at Viang Yonok and were able to have a relaxing time as well as seeing some of the local attractions. It is indeed a beautiful location at Chiang Saen lake. Hopefully, you'll get a chance a visit again and we can show you some more of the area.
Best wishes,
Ian, Vassana & Daeng

Reviewed 7 September 2012

The location is wonderful -so quiet and peaceful. We loved being able to sit and look at the lake.

We both really enjoyed the food. My husband had been missing steak. He was really pleased with their steak both times he had it. I enjoyed the homemade Thai food. It was the best I have had in Thailand.

Great internet connection.

We are looking forward to staying again soon.

Room Tip: Let the owners help you with your plans to explore and see the area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Hello HCinThailand,
Thank you very much for your kind review and we are happy you had a relaxing stay. The view of Chiang Saen Lake is almost hypnotically therapeutic, which is the reason we moved here years ago. Glad you enjoyed the steaks that we get from a specialist meat supplier in Chiang Rai. Vassana is the expert on the western food and her mother does the traditionalThai, centre part style, home cooking. As we are behind a hill, we had to get our own fibre optic cable run to the hotel (a great expense...) but it does give us a high speed connection. We look forward to seeing you again at Viang Yonok Hotel.
ian & Vassana

Reviewed 1 September 2012 via mobile

Everything is really nice. The staff and the management are very friendly. The bungalows are big and comfortable. The pool is very clean. From our room we have had a great view over the lake. We also have made a bike tour around the lake. It was amazing.The whole family is very friendly. The mother is cooking- she makes the best pancake with fresh fruits from Thailand. All in all it was a pleasure to stay at Viang Yonok.

• Stayed: August 2012
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Hi Weltenbu,
We are very happy you both enjoyed your stay at Viang Yonok by the lake and enjoyed the local countryside by bicycle. It is a beautiful part of the world and wonderful that you were able to spend some time here to enjoy it.
Best wishes
Ian, Vassana and all the staff