“Exceptional stay in a preserved and authentic location”

Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Chiang Saen
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We found Viang Yonok on our Family trip from Koh Samui (Thailand) to Luang Prabang (Laos) (a self Drive Adventure) based on Tripadvisor reviews.
We can confirm it is hard to find a better place than here in the golden triangle, let us say than anywhere in Thailand. This place is absolutely essential with an unrivaled hospitality and a service beyond expectation.
After reading all comments, it is difficult to add more.
In our French Culture, this hotel-restaurant can be described as a "Maison de Famille" in Thailande, a "Demeure" which is not a 5 stars, not a guest house, not an hôtel but a place where you know that somebody will wait for you and take care of you for all day to day details. In short, a place full of Memory where owners want to give happiness to their guests. .
These details can be noticed in all circumstances as in the rooms (sewings kits in a draw, repellent, blankets, sarong, water in quantity) or close to "Diner time".
Dinner time in Viang Yonok reminded me my childhood when my grandmother rang the bell to invite us to come to the table. The smell of homemade meal was encouraging all of us to run with joy. It was each time a so pleasant moment to share.
Practical details above:
Access: Viang Yonok Hotel-Restaurant is located near Chiang Saen Lake (Coming from Chiang Rai, turn right on the main road which is under works : 2/3 km before entering to Chaeng Saen City) (the owner is making new sign to identify access). It is 1 hour driving from Chiang Rai, 45 mn to Golden Triangle, 1H15 from Chiang Khong (mekong border to Lao). We attached a small Pict with sign.
Atmosphere of the Resort : this resort is a subtle blend of English cottage atmosphere married with Asian touches. The decor is simple, elegant and not ostentatious. The place is quiet, captivating green and skies reveal thousand species of rare birds. About 7 bungalows are scattered on the lake (a small road -with no traffic- separates the lake from the resort).
Bungalows: good size without being huge, all with terrace, some with 2 double beds (convenient for family), TV, internet wifi running well, shower with stones-floor, toiletries (toothbrush, soap, etc. ), kettle, linen very clean (and quantity), bedding impeccable English touches (lamps, bedside mats ..). The feeling of being at home dominates.
Breakfast: excellent breakfeast à la carte (English, Thai or ... your choice)
Dining Room and meals : pretty intimate tables overlooking the library, excellently arranged to feel outside and see the lake, even in case of rain (curtain system efficient and discreet). The kitchen is family, excellent. Thai Good choice, Tbone steak welcome wine list, very attentive and efficient service. Thanks to Jim!!!
Pool : small but convenient, fresh with nice view on the lake surrounded by the gardens and the flowers
Garden: beautiful species of flowers with unique smell!! ask Jim to explain. Grass as in England
Sports: everything you need : kayaks, mountains bikes, Fitness room...
Library: cosy with many choice (birds, etc.)
Information of surroundings : flyers in quantities but the must is to ask Ian
Laundry: impeccable and fast cleaning (we arrived with 2 big bags : given in the morning they were back in our room in the evening fold, iron with a delicate smell for.. 300 bahts!)

Our Story : We were supposed to stop 1 night and arrived late on a Friday evening (intented to cross the Lao border on early saturday morning. Our guests were enchanting by our Family trip (5000 km in Thailand and Laos). Suddenly, Ian understood that an essential document was missing to cross the border by car = the RED PURPLE BOOK (the car passeport). We were "obliged" to extend 2 nights more in our "hotel California" waiting the opening of Transportation Office in Chiang Rai on the next Monday!!! This was a great opportunity for us to discover the Golden Triangle, Mae Sae, Temples and the surroundings of this charming Viang Yonok. Our son (10 years) was told by Ian about Enfields Engine with a huge and Vintage Garage taken care by Ian. Jim was doing the best for us to enjoy every second there, offering glasses of wines, but the must for us was the time they both gave us to explain their passion for that place, their love to welcome guests and the pleasure they have in running Viang Yonok.
We have been impressed by their courage to establish such a beautiful place in a such quiet place with the only ambition to give happiness.
Deep thanks for all, good luck and ... SEE YOU AGAIN

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank asievero
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Hi Veronique C,
Wow...... Je vous remercie infiniment.! What a kind review and lovely photos. We are just happy you enjoyed your "necessary" stay at Viang Yonok ("hotel california"..... love it...) while waiting to get the vehicle passport for your self-drive holiday to Laos. We consider ourselves so lucky to live in this beautiful location and have everything we want, according to the King's principle of "Por Piang" (be satisfied with enough), so it is great to be able to share some of that happiness with our guests and help them make their holidays as successful as possible.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next adventure.
Best Wishes from everyone at Viang Yonok.

There are newer reviews for Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club

Reviewed 14 September 2012

What a beautiful place! Gorgeous location overlooking the lake, very peaceful, and the attention to detail is terrific. Terrific hospitality from Ian, Jim and Mum! Great food, loved the rooms, what a good night's sleep! I will return!

Room Tip: Ask for "Egret!"
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2012

Hi Martin-on-the-Harley,
Thank you very much for your review. It's good to know you enjoyed our super comfy beds, home cooking and beautiful lakeside location. We look forward to welcoming you back sometime.
Ian & Vassana (Jim)

Reviewed 13 September 2012

Outstanding place, excellent food and very friendly staff. Possibly the best place we've stayed at in Thailand. Will be back soon.
Viang Yonok is also great as base for visiting the beautiful surrounding area. Our trips with Ian and Deng were most interesting and a lot of fun.
Thanks again to Ian, Jin, Deng and all the team at Viang Yonok for a memorable stay!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Zgander
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Hi Zgander,
Thank you so much for your review. It is great to know you had a memorable time here at Viang Yonok and enjoyed our cuisine and tours to the less visited and "real" areas of northern Thailand.
We look forward to seeing you back to visit again.
Ian, Vassana, Daeng and the team

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I came here to Ian and Vassana's place last September 2.

I arrived at Chiang Rai airport feeling empty-headed and didn't know what to do upon arriving. Their guide, Kun Deng, was there to pick me up and asked me if I'd like to go home back to the hotel or see some sights before going to the hotel to settle down.

I opted to see some sights before going first to the hotel since I arrived here at around 1pm. I was very satisfied with Deng's choice of spots that I gave her the chance to guide me around the place(except for the last day) for the duration of my stay.

Upon arriving to the hotel, I was first greeted by Vassana and later by Ian since he had just arrived from a motorbike trip around the area. As with the selection of tourist spots, I gave them the choice of selecting my meals with a provision that I'll be served a different meal for lunch and dinner.

The surroundings of the compound projects a feeling of relaxation and that you can leave all your worries behind. The grounds are properly tended that you can walk barefooted(and I really recommend it!) without worrying about rocks or stones.

I stayed in the Waterhen room and enjoyed my room a lot! It is facing the lake across the road and you should see the lake either on sunrise or sunset.

There are lots of places to look at. I am grateful that I stayed in this hotel since the owners are very knowledgeable with the area. Since I like to take a closer, more introspective look on places where I travelled, I tend to stay longer than usual. From what I have seen, my 5 days wasn't enough. I believe it will take about a month to see all the places around here.

Though 5 star is the highest rating here, I prefer to give them a 6-star rating on all counts. The reason why I give this is that this place is very special to me that Ian and Vassana treated me more as a family member rather than the customer. They are very concerned with the needs of their visitors. Thanks for celebrating that special occasion with me, Ian, Vassana and Kun Deng!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Hi Joe G,
Thank you very much for your time in giving us a 6-star review!
It is wonderful to know you were so happy staying at Viang Yonok and were able to have a relaxing time as well as seeing some of the local attractions. It is indeed a beautiful location at Chiang Saen lake. Hopefully, you'll get a chance a visit again and we can show you some more of the area.
Best wishes,
Ian, Vassana & Daeng

Reviewed 7 September 2012

The location is wonderful -so quiet and peaceful. We loved being able to sit and look at the lake.

We both really enjoyed the food. My husband had been missing steak. He was really pleased with their steak both times he had it. I enjoyed the homemade Thai food. It was the best I have had in Thailand.

Great internet connection.

We are looking forward to staying again soon.

Room Tip: Let the owners help you with your plans to explore and see the area.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
59Thunderbird, Owner at Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Hello HCinThailand,
Thank you very much for your kind review and we are happy you had a relaxing stay. The view of Chiang Saen Lake is almost hypnotically therapeutic, which is the reason we moved here years ago. Glad you enjoyed the steaks that we get from a specialist meat supplier in Chiang Rai. Vassana is the expert on the western food and her mother does the traditionalThai, centre part style, home cooking. As we are behind a hill, we had to get our own fibre optic cable run to the hotel (a great expense...) but it does give us a high speed connection. We look forward to seeing you again at Viang Yonok Hotel.
ian & Vassana

13.4 km away
Bansaeo Garden and Resort
Bansaeo Garden and Resort
#5 of 9 in Chiang Saen

Been to Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club? Share your experiences!