All reviews surf camp other guests dorm room green waves solo trip new friends learn how family style no idea what to expect active holiday common areas perfect mix a fantastic vacation every morning traveling alone super fun breakfast and dinner
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We just finished a week at Swell and wished we had stayed longer. We are total beginners to surfing, but met a few seasoned surfers at Swell. We were the only couple with mostly solo travellers and had a great time meeting people.

This place is special; not just for beginners to learn how to surf, but it has just the right mix. Great instructors (Neno, Lee, and Ben), great team lead by Manager Haudy, and a great atmosphere. The owners, Clare and Jeroen have put a lot of thought and care into Swell.

The brunches and dinners at Swell are amazing! And well earned after two surf lessons a day. Food around town (Gorditos, Vagamundo Waffles, and Casa di Papi on the beach) are reasonable and tasty. The camp itself is intimate, clean, and modern. Wifi in the rooms is weak, but we didn’t mind, as you could use it in the common areas, and made us more social.

One word of advice: if you want to learn how to surf and get up, make sure you do the exercises Clare will send you. If you don’t, you will probably struggle.

We have already recommended Swell to several people and hoping to make our way back soon! Book it; you won’t regret it.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank CGyyz
Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

The Swell Team is amazing! In 7 days they successfully taught me how to surf. We had an absolutely wonderful time. My husband and I were traveling together and enjoyed the camaraderie and community that swell offers. The accommodations were perfect and the food was amazing! I have a gluten allergy and the chefs were so kind to always have options for me at each meal. Everything is planned for you the moment you arrive and you can truly relax and enjoy your vacation. I would give them ten stars if I could. Highly recommend Swell Surf Camp!!

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank tiffany4583
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Swell has created a wonderful experience centered on surfing. Our family of 4 (2 sons, 18 and 16), just returned from another great trip (previous was 2 years ago - also a great experience). Swell's staff, from Haudy (manager) to the surf instructors, to chefs, and so on are fun, energetic, interesting people - just like the other guests Swell attracts.

We are experienced surfers, but the instructors still had helpful suggestions, and for the guests with no surfing experience, all were up and riding waves the first day. After surfing, Swell is a relaxing place to lay by the pool, or in the hammock. Meals at Swell are fun, delicious, and family style that always seem to turn into fun nights (or not for those who choose an early bed).

Yoga is great, and Haudy is able to seamlessly arrange for other activities including Canyoning, day trips into Puerto Plato, etc.

Most of the guests were in their mid to late 20's through late 30's, but we felt perfectly comfortable with teenagers and the age range included those older than us (i.e. 50's). The instructors, who turn out to be social directors as well, are inclusive and fun.

We will definitely be back again!

BTW - Swell was not impacted by the numerous hurricanes this year, nor could we identify any damage to the area since our prior trip. It's an easy flight into Puerto Plata, a half our drive (that Swell arranges), and the fun begins.

Highly recommend this awesome place/experience!!

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank David A
Reviewed 13 November 2017

I had a fantastic vacation with Swell Surf Camp recently. Unfortunately there were only 3 other people at Swell during the time I was there, which made for a rather quiet nightlife, but on the plus side, there were 3 of us surfing and there were 3 instructors, so I had 1:1 instruction all week long. I must admit that I really stepped up my surfing game this time thanks to the awesome instruction from Neno, Jeffry and Ricki. Thank you all!

Also a big shout out to the lovely kitchen ladies who prepared phenomenal breakfasts and dinners all week. It was truly gourmet! And thanks for Haidi for keeping the camp running smoothly all week and for making my birthday celebration one to remember.

The room was bright, airy and clean and the overall 'camp' facilities are terrific.

I would definitely recommend Swell Surf Camp to any beginner or Intermediate surfer.

My mind had a nice break away from work, but my body was exhausted after a week of surfing. I can't wait to do it all again.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Dreamer1000
GoGapSport, Owner at Swell Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Hi Dreamer1000, I'm delighted to read your review of Swell; it's always great to hear that a guest has had a super experience with us and I'm thrilled we got you surfing well and wanting more!

With regards to the low number of people at the camp during your visit, whilst the Dominican Republic was completely unaffected by the recent hurricanes, unfortunately our bookings for October were badly affected by the widespread media coverage of these storms, For clarification, the Dominican Republic and Dominica (one of the islands badly hit) are very different countries, 800km apart. Furthermore, our island contains the highest peak in the Caribbean, Pico Duarte at 3,098 m. This mountain range seriously disturbs the forces which keep hurricanes turning, and therefore storms are driven north or south of us, without ever hitting us directly. Sadly, the same can't be said for the smaller islands which suffered such terrible damage from Irma and Maria and our sympathies lie with their continued recovery efforts. For us, we continue to operate as usual and our bookings are back to normal.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

I surfed once and have always wanted to surf again, but never could make it happen. Finally I took it in my own hands and booked a week at Swell Surf Camp. My room was beautiful, all of the outdoor areas of beautiful and well maintained. I used the pool several times a day.

The breakfasts and dinners were fabulous and for the meals that were not served it was a quick walk into town for many options.

The surf lessons were great - I did 7 in 7 days. The coaches are extremely knowledgable and professional. They also add to the ambiance by hanging out at the camp and sharing communal meals with the group. Most of the guests chose to eat together and take trips together, even on days when meals were not served at the camp.

There were numerous people traveling alone and although I was much older than the group I always felt welcome to be a part of it.

It is very demanding physically to surf every day and the trips can also be physically demanding, so I recommend a basic level of fitness and adventure.

I also found the staff to be very accommodating.

Date of stay: September 2017