“Laguna Park Rocks!”
Review of Hostel Laguna Park

Hostel Laguna Park
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I came into Cabarete not knowing where to stay and to my good luck I found Laguna Park. I am from California, a surfer in my late 50s and traveling solo. The rates, the staff and the accommodations are great! Laguna is located in a gated community that makes it very peaceful and quiet with no traffic. The walk or a cheap motoconcho ride into or from town is very beautiful through the jungle neighborhood. The best food market in town is at the entrance to the neighborhood along with a bank and the gua-gua stop! But best of all is the staff, guards and hostess. The hostess is a stoked and knowledgeable local surfer and hooked me up with the best rental for a board and a ride to the beach at 6:30 am! The place is clean, safe and comfortable and I even bought the t-shirt!. The hostess even found and booked me another hostel for the next stop of my trip in Samana. The Dominican Republic was really fun and friendly and Laguna Park was a big factor of the success of my trip. I want to return to Cabarete in the winter, stay at Laguna and ride big CoCo Pops!!

Room Tip: The cheap room doesn't seem crowded because it's so big and has a door to the roof and a big...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 July 2011

This was my first stay ever at a hostel. And it is truly the benchmark for any hostel I will stay-in in the future. Although I was the oldest person there, I never felt out of place. No one was within 15 years of my age. We all hit it off so well, we were grocery shopping together and cooking shared meals. Even the manager, Sabrina, was eating with us. We were from all over the globe: Slovenia (borders Italy on the north), Germany, Venezuela and the US.

Maintain supply of drinking water in the refrigerator because it gets hot in Cabarete. The pool was not deep, but adequate length to do exercise laps. Laundry service worked well. Security was there every night, all night long. 24 hour access. Far enough away from main road so you did not here the constant motor bike traffic that NEVER STOPS!!! the grounds were well maintained and the building is well designed. I could only get a strong Wi-Fi signal on the ground floor in the common areas.

Sleep quality was rated low because of lack of AC and ceiling fan did not provide strong breeze. Mattresses in shared area were thin. Your comfort level will very.

Hostels distance from main road (approximately a 1/2 mile) was good for me because the tourist areas can get busy and noisy! I felt totally safe no matter what time of day or night I walked to and from the hostel, mostly after 2am.

Room Tip: Large shared room bed is low to floor and mildly comfortable. Lack of AC hindered my sleep quality.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I really had a great stay at El Castillo. The hostel itself is VERY clean, from the pool and the rooms to the bathrooms and kitchen. The kitchen is well-stocked with utensils/pots/pans. The common area is welcoming with the couches, chairs, t.v., table, snack bar, WiFi. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Sabrina is a wonderful host, just a very relaxed person. I very much recommend El Castillo.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Actually I am laying in my hammock of the balcony of my room, watching the nature. "El Castillo" is a place you will love. In the middle of the laguna, but not far away of the town and beach. Pretty new rooms, cool designed, very clean, a gentle management which attends directly. They already force new ideas to make the hostel much more comfortable. But not luxury, it is smart and easy - and low-priced! A lot of nice travllors. Not hard to make friends in these ambiance. I feel welcomed and save. You will enjoy it and you will save money! | Rebecca, Germany

Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I was just satisfied.
The price is amazing, the staff really nice and the place beautiful!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo