“Lunch OK - Breakfast Chaos”
Review of The Wateringbury

The Wateringbury
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Stayed in the Premier Inn attached to this hotel for a weekend in Kent, Decided once we checked in to have lunch, menu varied we chose the sandwiches which came with salad and choice of fries, the sandwiches were very filling, nice thick multi grain bread. Drinks we found to be rather expensive. As we were staying in the Premier Inn next door we paid to have breakfast on the Sunday morning, what a disaster. The poor waitress was left to cater for 50+ guests as a staff member had called in sick, the manager refused to come out of the kitchen to assist her until she nearly broke down in tears due to the pressure of service. There were no cups for drinks, no juices, no bread, no milk, shortage of cutlery, the poor waitress literally couldn't keep up with all the demands of taking orders and replenishing the breakfast buffet table. So many of the guests complained and eventually the manager decided to brave the restaurant. No apology for the amount of time it was taking to get orders to the table, no apology for the lack of breakfast items, just a poor conversation that it wasn't his fault that a staff member was off sick. Guests were even offering to assist the waitress to try and speed up the service. Wrong meals were delivered to the wrong tables and when we eventually did get our orders, bacon was hard and sausages undercooked, I have to give praise to the waitress who tried her best to try and keep guests happy - the manager in my mind should have come out and taken a grip of the situation instead of hiding behind the scenes. 10-15 people that I know off got a refund from the Premier Inn due to the inadequate level at service at breakfast.

2  Thank KDavis211

Reviewed 25 August 2017

Waitresses need to have some training, spend too much time chatting while customers want attending to.Need to focus more on customers.
Food edible but lack lustre..

1  Thank Patricia J
Reviewed 20 August 2017

We were a group of 3 adults and 2 children, and on balance, the meal was disappointing. Let's start with the good meal, and yes, only one of the 5 was good. I had slow cooked rib of beef and pulled pork. The beef was superb, and simply fell off the huge rib bone. Served with sweet potato chips, coleslaw and corn on the cob with a bbq dip, it was delicious. The other 2 adults had the Summer bbq grill. The ribs were dry and unappetising, the breaded chicken "nuggets" were ridiculously hot (I know, I tried one, and I like spicy food). For the average diner, these were much too fiery. One of the kids had the lasagne, which I also tasted, and I have to say, it was the oddest tasting lasagne I have ever sampled. I'm not even sure it wasn't off. The other child had a kids cheeseburger. The burger was minute and not very tasty, served in the tiniest burger bun I've ever seen. The portion of chips was so meagre, we asked for a few more, and were charged £2.25 for a portion. When we complained, the waitress took the kid's meals off the bill, but really, 4 of the meals were sub-standard. After the meal, I visited the men's toilet. This was clean, but very small for such a large restaurant and allowed just one person at a time. The hot tap in the only sink was loose and unusable.
The restauant promised much, but ultimately disappointed.
There are so many places to eat in Maidstone, we could not recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Stewart S
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

An enjoyable evening with family the food is what you would expect from a pub chain. Would eat there again.

1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Went here for a family meal for 14 people so a mixed review.
To start with the Wateringbury is very welcoming with friendly happy staff. The food overall is good with 10 out the 14 more than happy with what they had. The reason the other 4 were not happy was down to the rump steak. I had rump and spend half my time trying to chew through it as did the others. The worst one was my fathers who basically left 90% of it on the plate as it was almost pure gristle. Like I said a mixed review as I've already said the staff were good but once eating our meal no one came and asked if everything was ok and seemed to disappear. Once we had eaten (chewed) our main meal, when they came to collect the plates my father mentioned his steak and the response was she will inform the chef. When she came back to collect my plate I too mentioned the steak and was told she had informed the chef and he was dealing with it. Good I thought. Puddings came and went without issue then we asked for the bill. Now I was expecting at least a small reduction as my father ate 10% of his steak and the others were lucky to eat a bit more but to my surprise there was nothing. I was expecting at least an apology from someone or like I say a small discount but got neither. On this experience alone I will have to think twice about returning as I felt let down by this one little thing. Once again I will say it's a mixed review, If no one had the rump we would have been more than happy with our meal but this has left a bit of a sour taste in our mouths by the way the complaint was dealt with- nothing was done about it.

2  Thank blademan2