“Memorable holiday in Krabi”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Exceed my expectation, all staff at Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf & Spa Resorti show us excellent service mind. Quality of food service is also excellent. Check in is really fast even I arrived late evening. The quality of club service is excellent.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
SofitelManagement, General Manager at Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read you have had a great time with us at the Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future for more memorable moments with us.

Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (2,665)

Reviewed 21 October 2012

We just stayed 9 nights at the Sofitel and it was a fantastic hotel if you're looking for a relaxing place to unwind and recharge. I have used Trip Advisor for a number of years to research hotels but have never felt compelled to write a review until now.
I have summarized our thoughts on a few of the pros and cons of the hotel below.

Pros
- Staff: Very friendly and willing to go out of their way to make your stay perfect. They make you feel like THE VIP guest the entire time you're at the resort, from the moment you arrive (they give you a cold juice and towel to refresh yourself) to moment you leave (lots of staff line up to wave goodbye) - everyone is exceptionally friendly asking you how your day is going and what you have planned for the rest of the week - I would have thought the manager put them up to this on a daily basis, but the staff were truly genuine
- Food: Our room came with a complementary breakfast buffet which was incredible. The fruit juices (pineapple, papaya, orange and watermelon) were freshly squeezed and the food (omelet station, thai pho station, fresh fruit, typical American breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc), french pastries, homemade jams, etc.) was great. The only negative about the breakfast was that the plain brewed coffee wasn't very good like you would expect from a Sofitel (just ask for an espresso - their barista is fine).
- Pool: The pool was very large (they said the largest in the south of Thailand) with an excellent pool-side bar and pool-side seating area for lunch. They also have a separate section for children which is nice for them and the rest of the guests too! I'm always picky about the loungers at resorts, but these ones were very comfortable and here were tons of them around the pool. If you didn't want to sleep the day away on a lounger, they had hammocks you could use as well.
- Location: There are a bunch of small stores right next to the Sofitel (within a 5-10 minute walk) where you can get laundry done cheaply (40 bhat/kg), water, beer, snacks and book tours. There are also a few restaurants where you could have dinner for approximately half of the cost of the hotel if you wanted to be adventurous. The only downside is the resort is on Klong Muang beach (considered to be the area with the more luxurious resorts) which is about a 400 bhat taxi to Ao Nong or 600 bhat taxi to Krabi Town where most of the shopping and nightlife is if that's what you're looking for (just be advised most of the shopping and night life in town is geared towards backpackers).
- Beach: Klong Muang beach is situated on a national park and you can see some limestone mountains off in the distance which are beautiful. The next major resort is roughly a mile down the beach so you feel like you have your own private beach and the lounge chairs have memory foam pads on them so they're extremely comfortable. The only negatives about the beach are that you have to cross a small two lane road to get the beach (it wasn't busy at all when we were there) and because the beach is part of a national park, they don't have many beach chairs and they don't serve drinks. If you do want to go swimming here, make sure you bring sandles you can wear in the water - while the beach is extremely sandy, when you head into the water it's quite rocky.

Cons
- Internet: They don't have free wireless internet in your rooms and it's around Bhat 230/day if you want to use it. Alternatively you can use two computers they have setup in their business center (open 24 hrs day) which are very fast! Sometimes you have to wait a while for the computers to free-up and we were here during off season so I would imagine you would have to wait a long time if you're visiting during high season.
- Golf: I didn't come here to golf, but if you're an avid golfer you probably wouldn't want to play the course adjacent to the hotel. It's only 9 holes and it's not in the best shape.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Trent_and_Newman
SofitelManagement, General Manager at Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Bonjour and Sawasdee Krab,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at the Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort.
We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay as it is our clear goal to welcome our guests with the high level of standards and facilities for which Sofitel Luxury Hotels is better know for.

We would also like to thank you and assure you that we have taken good note of your comments regarding internet and golf course.
We are currently on process of reviewing our service offer, which should be completed in the near future.

We appreciate your time in sharing your concerns, and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Robin Deb,

Reviewed 20 October 2012

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at the hotel as a little getaway for her birthday, we were both impressed by the reception area and check in was smooth and efficient. We relaxed with a cool drink while the registration was done. The room was comfortable with a view of the well kept gardens. The guest relations staff were great, explaining all about the hotel and the various activities. We had lunch by the pool which is huge with lots of sun loungers and booked to have dinner there that evening as there was a buffet dinner and a show. The dinner was excellent but just as we signed the bill the heavens opened and we got soaked running to the main hotel building. We went into one of the bars for a drink and within minutes a girl from housekeeping arrived with towels for us to dry off, nothing in this hotel is too much trouble for the staff.
On my wife's birthday a cake was delivered to our room with a birthday card with birthday messages from a number of the staff a very nice personal touch.
All in all a nice break at an excellent hotel with five star staff.
The only downside was that there is a charge for Internet connection which many hotels provide as a free service for their guests. I purchased one day Internet access but when you log in if the connection is inactive for a short time the connection is dropped and you have to log in all over again.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank George T

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your wonderful stay at the Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

We will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next longer visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

On first impression this is a very beautiful hotel, set in tropical gardens with what can only be described as a magnificent swimming pool. The pool, together with the staff, some of the friendliest I have encountered anywhere on my travels, are by far the most valuable assets of the Sofitel Krabi.

If you are the kind of person who prefers to spend their time chilling on the beach please take note, the beach is separated from the hotel grounds by a busy road. The beach itself, although part of the nature reserve, is very narrow; the sand quickly runs into rocky coves, sharp on the feet and not ideal for swimming.

The biggest disappointment for me during my 12 nights stay was the quality of my hotel room. Together with my wife and two year old son I stayed in a Prestige Suite, suite 382. The suite was spacious and the balcony offered fantastic panoramic views of both the hotel grounds/swimming pool and the ocean. The sleeping area and bed were very comfortable but both the living area and bathroom proved to be a massive disappointment.

As a LeClub Platinum cardholder and a frequent business/leisure traveler I’ve had the good fortune to stay in some fantastic Sofitel, Pullman and M Gallery hotels. I’m drawn to the Sofitel by their promise and commitment to design and comfort, on this occasion they let both themselves and me down.

No thought had been given to the living area of the suite; it was poorly and unimaginatively decorated. The quality and the comfort level of the furnishings were well below what I have come to expect from the Sofitel. I’m not on holiday to spend time watching TV but in this day and age one does not expect to encounter a small, antique box TV in a 5 star hotel. Even budget hotels, IBIS being a good example, provide flat screen TV’s. Either the Sofitel Krabi is lost in a time warp or management has simply neglected to make the necessary investments to keep the hotel up to modern standards.

The bathroom was also lacking in investment, the main showerhead was old, clogged with mineral deposits and didn’t provide a consistent and even flow of water, highly frustrating for a “5 Star” hotel.

If you are planning on an extended stay and, like me, you prefer a bit of variety in the places you eat, then I’m afraid the hotel is probably not the best choice. Eating and drinking options within the immediate vicinity are limited to one or two acceptable venues.

If you do decide to venture out then the best option it to walk down to the street in front of the hotel and charter a local “Tuck-Tuck” taxi to Ao Nang, a twenty minute drive away. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping options to keep everyone entertained, even over several days. The Sofitel does provide a shuttle bus service to Ao Nang but the timings are infrequent/inconvenient and the hotel charges an extortionate rate of THB 200 per person, including children, per way. Why pay this when you can charter your own Tuck-Tuck for THB 700 return, and have total flexibility on timings - shame on you Sofitel!

We chose to dine twice in the hotel. Given that it was low season the White Lotus Thai restaurant was closed so we were restricted in the evenings to eating in the Venezia restaurant. Although this contributed to the limited option in dinning settings there was still ample choice in food variety as the restaurant provided Thai, Italian and Indian cuisine.

Our first meal could not have been any better, seated on the outside veranda we had impeccable and friendly service. We ordered Indian, the food was delicious, authentic and served in a timely manner.

Our second meal by contrast was a disaster. This time, seated inside the main restaurant, we ordered Italian. The first challenge was to get the attention of the serving staff. The second challenge was to get our food. At one stage our main courses were placed in front of us only to be whisked away swiftly and without a word being spoken. My wife and I were left looking at each other, dumfounded and in shock, wondering what the hell was going on – it felt like we were in a scene from Faulty Towers. It took several minutes before a waiter came over to explain that there had been a mix up between the kitchen and serving staff in preparing my wife’s order. By the time we did receive our food my Tuna steak, which by this stage had obviously been left standing, was dried out and unpalatable.

In conclusion, would I recommend this hotel to my family and friends? The simple answer is, as a 5 star Sofitel and the price tag that goes with it, no. I’m afraid the hotel does not live up to the Sofitel’s Luxury proposition of aesthetics, quality and excellence.

However, if you are planning on staying for 2 or 3 nights and you are fortunate enough to get a promotion on a standard room then the hotel can be a good option, the swimming pool and grounds are fantastic.

Either some serious modernization and renovation work needs to be undertaken or the hotel needs to be rebranded and placed at a different price point.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank David H

Bonjour and Sawasdee Krab,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to
share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Sofitel Krabi
Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort. Rest assured that it is always a pleasure to
receive constructive feedback, which allows us to achieve and improve our best
quality service at all times.

I sincerely regret to hear about your disappointment regarding our beach.
In Thailand, all beaches are public but we have managed to secure an area for
the resort. We make sure that our Sport & Recreations team takes necessary
measures on a daily basis to offer our guests a decent and comfortable beach.

We have taken good note of the points concerning your dinner at Venezia
restaurant and in that regard please allow me to express my sincere apologies. I
have taken the liberty to share your comment at length with our Executive Assistant Manager in charge of Food & Beverage so that we take necessary measures to avoid such incidents recurring in the future.

In regard to your legitimate observation about bathroom and TV, note that
we are currently on process of reviewing those facilities, which should be
completed in the near future.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide our guests with the highest of standards in quality and service by, not only meeting but also exceeding their expectations; therefore your feedback is once again very important to us and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

the hotel is very big and luxurious, the staff is so nice sometimes over nice! they were helpful in every way they could and always with a smile.
the pool is beautiful and the view also.

the only small problem that its far away from the center (45 min) so we rented a bike but still not a short drive...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shantal e
SofitelManagement, General Manager at Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit in our hotel. It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for everyday.

We are sorry to hear about your disappointment on the location of the resort. We are approximately 15 minutes from Ao Nang which is the popular place for tourists. In order to reach the place, note that we run shuttles to Ao Nang. We would like to assure you that most of our guest enjoys the tranquility of the resort, though it all depends on the purpose of the trip and holiday.

We appreciate your time in sharing your feedback, and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
3.1 km away
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
2.5 km away
Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!