We really enjoyed our 9 nights at the Krabi Sofitel, particularly appreciating the quiet out-of-town location, the well manicured gardens, the ever-smiling staff, the excellent decorative order, the vast choice at breakfast, and, of course, the huge pool. The swimming pool is indeed remarkable, a long tiled lake, uniformly 1.3 – 1.4 metres deep, curving along most of the frontage of the resort, then turning alongside one wing of the hotel to give the occupants of the ground floor rooms on that side direct access to a private swimming area from their bedroom terraces.
We booked through Sawadee.com, who had an early booking offer (> a fortnight in advance) - subsequently also seen on the hotel’s website - which gave us a Luxury room for the price of a Superior one. The ground floor room was very spacious, had a 2 metre-wide double bed, and was only a few steps away from the pool over the lawn. The airco was silent and only one night was disturbed by a mosquito. Sawadee.com also gave us the services of their local agent Krabi Spesialisten, a Norwegian-run operation who provided airport transfer, the services of a rep with good advice on where to eat in Ao Nang, and who operate by far the most memorable experience of our stay, a leisurely all-day cruise around the Phi-Phi Islands , constantly plied with food and drink, in an old Indonesian sailing boat. Highly recommended. The hotel also offers its own extensive range of outings and activities, and an infrequent shuttle service to Ao Nang.
We arrived before normal check-in time, but were shown to our room immediately.
If there was an irritation during our stay it lay along the poolside. Twice we arrived at the pool relatively late in the morning to find no towels, no attendant and seemingly every sun lounger taken. Reception quickly resolved the towels issue, and we eventually found a few remaining loungers, on the lawn away from the poolside or beside the whine of the pool’s pumping station. The hotel claims to have 300 sun loungers, but I counted only 150, and with 276 rooms and potentially twice that number of guests, there may be a structural problem. The more so, if, reading their comments on Trip Advisor, some of the loungers are occupied by people who have sneaked in from the Krabi Sands Resort up the road. Perhaps to be fair, it should be said that at that point the pool attendant’s stock-in-trade was being drenched by a downpour every afternoon.
The hotel has four restaurants, but in the evening the breakfast room is shut and the Pool Bar is open only twice a week for a barbecue or buffet, so if you want to eat in the hotel, the choice is between their Italian and Thai/Indian restaurants. It is thus difficult to find a light snack at night. Both restaurants have outside tables on a balcony overlooking the gardens and the sea, but capacity is limited, and we found ourselves eating inside in the Thai restaurant, where the airco was not particularly effective, a hot and sticky experience. The choice at breakfast is amazing, well topped-up, with a fried egg and an omelette station, so no waiting, but why were the tables variously devoid of serviettes, teaspoons and milk, and the itinerant coffee pot never there when you needed it?
The Saturday night buffet at the Pool Bar came with entertainment. Despite early booking and being amongst the first on the scene, repeated requests for a poolside table were refused, and we were shown to a table at the back beside the loudspeakers for the music, whilst a table for six at the poolside went unoccupied all evening. Not crossed the right palm with silver? Fortunately the singer had a nice voice, we liked her repertoire and she stopped early enough to have put nobody off their sleep.
The hotel has no ATM. The nearest one is a short walk away at the Beach House Restaurant, but was not working when we got to it, necessitating a longer walk or short taxi ride to the facilities outside the Sheraton.
The resort has a few loungers on the public beach across the road, and there is a cordoned-off area for swimming in the sea, but the beach is more attractive for a quiet walk at sunset than for swimming, particularly at low tide. A continuous stream of articulated lorries glides past the hotel, but causes little disturbance.
The Sofitel is part of a French chain, and the senior management is no doubt francophone, but the first foreign language of the local staff is English. There is, however, a copy of Le Figaro at breakfast.
We would have loved to have stayed longer, but this level of service and facilities has its price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort is renowned for its timeless elegance, luxurious rooms and suites, gourmet restaurants, outstanding facilities, and gracious Thai hospitality. Set in a lush tropical garden and just a few steps from the beach and Andaman Sea, the resort features a 7,000 sq.M. Lagoon-style pool, the largest swimming pool in Thailand. Guests can enjoy four restaurants serving Thai and international cuisines, a fully equipped fitness centre complete with steam room and sauna, So SPA with L'Occitane offering an extensive menu of rejuvenating spa treatments, and a Kid's Club. There is also an exclusive 9-hole golf course, and conference and meeting facilities and a unique 1,000 sq.M. Air-conditioned marquee for up to 950 persons. Designed to enhance the stay of every guest, our signature Leisure Butler service includes a VIP check-in and a personal assistant to arrange an unforgettable marriage proposal or special romantic moment, private dinner parties and celebrations, personalised excursions to nearby islands, and much more. Escape to Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort for a romantic getaway, a family holiday, a magnifique wedding, meeting or event in tropical paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf Hotel Nong Thale
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf And Spa Resort
- Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort Thailand
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Hotel
- Krabi Sofitel