3,424 results
All reviews first club royal club beach bar la diva grand level punta cana seafood main buffet a la carte restaurants stayed in building spring breakers jacuzzi on the balcony palm trees pizza place beautiful beach ocean front main pool
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I've been to quite a few of the Caribbean Islands but would never go back to the DR let alone this hotel.
The Pros - Clean rooms, comfortable beds, pretty resort and kept up well.
The Cons - Food was inedible, the staff rude and inattentive, beach crowded and sketchy

We checked in for a four night stay after a whole day traveling to get there to find the AC wasn't cooling off our room. The bellman said it needed time to cool off. We spent the first night soaked in sweat and greeted the morning with a splitting headache. The bed literally smelled like a dirty sweat sock.

The next day in a combination of phone calls and visits to the front desk, I complained a total of 8 times the AC wasn't working. It was literally 20 degrees hotter in our room than outside. Each time the staff (never apologizing) said OK OK, and went to help another guest or went into the back room never to come out again. Come back in an hour, come back at 3pm, come back at 5pm. At 9pm knowing we were spending another night with headache and sweat, I stood at the front desk and demanded they change our room. This took another 5 phone calls and one hour for them to move us upstairs. Wow! The difference was amazing - the room was so nice and cool. We were hopeful our stay would improve.

Time at the beach proved to be challenging - trying to find a chair in the sea of occupants was difficult at any time and you spent your day warding off the myriad of salesmen who comb the beach selling anything from day trips to tacky jewelry to photos of monkeys (which get dropped in your lap from behind). The pool was clean and more relaxing so we spent most of our time there.

The food at the resort was absolutely inedible. The buffets were terrible and the individual restaurants even worse. My daughter lived off Pringle potato chips and chocolate that we bought at the gift store. I had hot tea in the morning (which tasted like stale coffee) and we could barely stomach the under-ripe watermelon and pastries. Can't even try to describe the lunches and dinners, suffice it to say we could only eat the pizza and even that wasn't good.

Checkout was the icing on the cake. We arrived with 15 minutes to spare before our taxi showed up for our international flight to be informed (no greeting, no how was your stay) that we needed to turn in our beach towels before we could check out. Really? After a few words back and forth, I walked back to the room, got the two dirty beach towels (we were never issued clean ones during our stay) and went back to the desk. By this time I was sweaty and it had taken literally 20 minutes. Our taxi was waiting for us. I gave her the towels and suggested that if they had a sign in the room to let us know we need to turn in the towels at check out that would be enormously helpful. Her grumpy reply was we owed $15 for the internet. I gave her the cash, told I needed a receipt now because we were now running late and she helped another guest who happened to walk up. She then went into the back and didn't return!! I waved down her colleague and told him what happened, said I was leaving and he gave the usual OKOK no problem, opened the office door and she was just standing there doing nothing. I was furious at this point. He gave me the receipt which she had already written and never handed to me!! Unbelievable. No thank you, no come back again, nothing.

I would never stay at this resort again. I really can't believe the positive reviews they are getting. Those guests must not travel much or have extremely low expectations. Have they even eaten at a decent restaurant? I have no idea how they can rate it anything above 1 star. I wouldn't even give it that but Trip Advisor requires at least one.

I"m sure the response from management will be the typical sorry we didn't meet your expectations - but I really don't think they care AT ALL about their guests.

Room Tip: Don't go, choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Parisa63
gpcsm, Public Relations Manager at Occidental Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear guest,

We would first like to thank you for choosing the Occidental Punta Cana as your holiday destination. Allow us to take this opportunity to express that we are sincerely sad to learn that you have left with a negative perception of our hotel, since we are constantly striving to make our guests experience an unforgettable memory.

We certainly understand that every guest has a different experience based on their preferences and other elements, but it is unfortunate that the mentioned issues marred your experience with us. Once again, we sincerely apologize for this and your dissatisfaction with the retribution you received.

We would like to have the opportunity to show you how committed we are to our guests' satisfaction, being this the reason why we are the preferred destinations for many tourists year by year. Because of this, we truly hope you reconsider staying with us in the future, so we can change your perception of our hotel.

It was a pleasure serving you.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I recently stayed at this resort for my spring break vacation with one of my good friends from school. After reading low ratings on this website, we were worried that our experience would fall short. We were wrong. The service was great, despite the fact that we were not Royal Level. The rooms were nicely renovated and clean; we always came back to a spotless room after our days on the immaculate beach. The food was impeccable — we couldn’t get enough of the guacamole and tacos from La Taquería! Definitely book reservations for the à la carte right when you get there, or you may be eating very late. Huge shoutout to Nordy at the Lobby Bar; he was an excellent bartender and always took care of us. I would love to return!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Cecilia,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review regarding your recent stay with us. Leaving positive feedback does not only motivate our collaborators to continue offering a superior quality of service, but it also benefits other travelers when deciding on their holiday prospects. That said, we are delighted to have received such a stellar review on your behalf and, it goes without saying, that your recommendation is our greatest achievement.

We reiterate our appreciation to you for having chosen to stay with us.

It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

Guest Service Manager.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Had a great time for the second time, there were plenty of restaurants, lots of great food. The pizza upstairs was awesome, the a la carts were great (we did all 5).there was always a bar nearby. staff members were great, especially Nordy Rcynoso @ the lobby bar who always made sure we were taken care of . We stayed in room 24111 it was very clean and new , hats off to the cleaning ladies. Had a great time and will return again.

Room Tip: Rooms are all newly renovated
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lawrence p
gpcsm, Public Relations Manager at Occidental Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Occidental Punta Cana with us. We are glad that in general we were able to have satisfied your expectations. That said, we are constantly refreshing and renewing our services and facilities to ensure that our guest want to return year after year, which is why we guarantee your next visit will be far better than your last.

It was our pleasure to serve you.

Best regards !

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I have stayed at the larger Barcelo hotels in Punta Cana and based on reviews I wasn’t expecting this resort to come close but WOW! It is a smaller resort in comparison but it is just as beautiful. The grounds are well kept. Our room at the Royal Club Level is beautiful and immaculately clean and well stocked consistently from the bathroom to the mini-fridge. My daughter forgot to lock our safe as we rushed out on our second day here and I was rushing back to our room in a panic. The room was made up and nothing was touched or missing. We have enjoyed the private hot tub on our balcony to the fullest. the pool. There is also a smaller giant pool/jacuzzi exclusively for the Royal Level guests. The beach at this resort is probably one of the most beautiful ones! Activities staff at beach and pool daily. Fantastic staff! Amazing how they remember our names after just 2 days!! My favorite restaurant and bar were at the Royal Level area. The staff and food were great! No lines and no reservations required and they have just about everything. No need to go anywhere else. We did go to the snack bar because my teen daughter always prefers burgers, hot dogs and chicken over anything. We will be back to this resort. Truly enjoyed our stay. Thank you Occidental Punta Cana for making my daughter’s 16th birthday weekend fantastic and memorable!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Dear Martha,

Friendly greetings from the Royal Level at the Occidental Punta Cana !

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We truly appreciate you rating the quality of our holiday offering so highly. Needless to say we are thrilled to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. We truly hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future. We guarantee your next stay will be even better than your last.

It was our pleasure to serve you.

Kind regards,

Guest Service Manager.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Excellent Staff WILDA ACOSTA, RUTH DELANIA DE LOS SANTOS, LUIS VENTURA, ZOILA ESPIRITUSANTO they were all very polite, respectful, clean and very accommodating. Would recommend this resort to my family and friends. This was our second trip back.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Barcelo Hotels & Resorts

Dear John,

We reiterate our appreciation to you for having chosen to stay with us.

It was truly a pleasure to serve you.