“Christmas 2011”

Iberostar Punta Cana
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Bavaro
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Spent from December 23 through 30th at this hotel with my spouse and 2 teenage children - I have NO complaints and WOULD definitely go back. The buffet was OK (nothing great), but frankly we were all fine with that (family of 4) as we went for sunshine not gourmet cuisine. The beach was FANTASTIC and the pool chairs were ALWAYS clean and available. The room staff as well the beach and food service staff were all very friendly and attentive. The christmas buffet was probably the only let down of the trip - the hotel really did NOT pull all the stops out on that one! BOTTOM LINE , great value for money!!! To the lady with 2 major complaints - I was in the lobby and saw the man with the baby goat on his shoulders and witnessed your behaviour and frankly you were WAY over the top. The animal was NOT being abused and I truly hope that the employee did not loose 3 days wages because of your "insanity". A grown woman screaming and practically foaming at the mouth over something so trivial is profoundly STUPID - if you lost sleep you should go see your doctor and get medicated! Did I see the goat jump off his shoulders yes - did I see it bang its head on the floor yes (bang is a very strong word, was more like a light tap) frankly my dog who is WELL cared for has jumped out of my arms in the past and the man CANNOT be blamed he ABSOLUTELY did not purposely try and hurt the animal - it just jumped. There is no doubt you wouldnt see this scene in the USA, but honestly how many people in Detroit have goats! Lady, get a grip - to the hotel I assume you read these reviews, DO NOT penalize the employee for trying to entertain the guests... Again to the hotel staff, having witnessed this ladies "OFF THE WALL" behaviour I doubt the inappropriate touching happened either - so again I would ask you to be careful before you take action against an employee who know doubt was just doing there job but had the MISFORTUNE of being beside a "crazy" tourist!!!! PS, I generally do not get involved, BUT since the CRAZY LADY felt the need to post on TripAdvisor I felt that the whole truth should be told. To the crazy lady, just so you know this is a real rebuttle to your negative comments - I did approach you at the counter and told you to LET IT GO......

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank thetravellinman42139
Write a ReviewReviews (7,011)

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Just got back from 6 days at iberostar punta cana.

Good excellant beach
Terrific barstaff.. Jenny and lewis
Fun poker table
Decent prcing
Fun entertainment

The average....
Food ok nothing special here
Pool decent not great
There were a few things to do onsight but not a lot.
Grounds were kept pretty well

The poor
The frotdesk and how they treat you.. Arrived in room to broken tv and no ac.. Took 2 days for them to admit ... Yes ir doesnt work and we will have to move you.... Waited till 530 to get original room upon arrival.. 2 and half hours past checkin... Moved myself to new room... Broken tv in new room.. Gave up on that.... Both new and old rooms extemely musty odor!!!.. Wife has allergys... Not pretty!

The absolute disgusting....
The terrible smell for two days all around the cxompound after it poured for 10 minutes 1 evening... Raw sewage ???? Who knows??? When the breeze blew it my way , i wanted to gag!luckily it was our last 2 days and we left!.... Disgusting!

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Strazz
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here the week after Christmas, including New Years Day. I have to say, that earlier last year we also stayed at Iberostar in Riviera Maya, so even though the two hotels are different, I couldn't help but compare them in some respects.
The ride from the airport was quick, the check in went fast, with no issues at all. Our room was ready and the reception clerk took us to our room right away. We had a partial ocean view room (#5244) on the Punta Cana side. The room does face the ocean, the view, however, was partially blocked by a big palm tree, which was not a big deal for me, personally. We could still see the ocean, the beach and the pools from our balcony.
I heard about all the construction going on, but really, once we got to the room I kept wondering what was it that they did, because the room could really use some remodeling/painting. Everything was functioning properly, but you could tell the building is very old. Same thing with the pool - it is old, scratched and all. There was a guy cleaning it daily though.
The pool (both of them) was also waaaay smaller then the one in Riviera Maya (but that one is really hard to beat :-)). Knowing that this is a Holiday season and it would be very very busy, reading all the posts on here, I had very very low expectations. However, I never had a problem getting a chair either by the pool or on the beach. It was busy, true, but they still had enough chairs for everyone. Same thing with the La Marimba buffet for lunch - it was crowded, but there was always a table for everyone. The food here was ok, I guess, nothing special. I'd say very similar to the food in Iberostar in Riviera Maya. We normally had breakfast at one of the buffets in the loby, I really liked the one on Punta Cana side better, but they were pretty much the same.
Had no problem booking our a-la-carte reservations. You have to make it in person in the lobby though. For a-la-carte we went to Maria Bonita (Mexican), La Marimba (International), and the Steakhouse. I liked the Mexican restaurant - food was great, great salad bar, good service. La Marimba was also nice, very good service as well.
Steakhouse was not so good. I mean, the food was great but the service was painfully slow, we had to ask 2-3-4 times for drinks. Just a side note - a lot of staff in restaurants, the bar, maids - do not speak English or speak very very little.
The beach was just beautyful, better then the one in Riviera Maya. Plenty of chairs, plenty of room for everyone. The water was a little rough though, so we couldn't do much swimming over there.
We also went to the Bavaro side, we can use their pool but cannot order from their bars, use the towel service, etc. We just brought our drinks with us when went over there.
They have this little waterpark-kind of structure with several slides for the little ones, which they absolutely love. :-) The Bavaro guests have different color bracelets from what Punta Cana/Dominicana guests have - but only grown ups. Kids had the same color bracelets in all 3 hotels, so my daughter had no problem getting soda from their bars. ;-) The kids club is located on the Bavaro side as well, and here I must say I liked the one in Mexico better, same goes for their mini disco at night. It was ok, my daughter loved it, they took them to the pool and had some competition for them, and also went to the beach to build sand castles, so they did have fun. Because all 3 hotels use this same kids club, they separate the kids from Bavaro into one group, and then the kids from Punta Cana/Dominicana - into a separate group, and so the kids have different activities. My daughter ended up in an all-boys group, which she wasn't too happy about.
The animation staff was good, nightly shows were ok. New Years eve celebration was great with a special show, gala buffet (reservations required), fireworks, disco (we didn't go, but I hear it was a blast).
So all in all this was a good resort, and I was about to give it the highest rating, but then the day of the departure I had to deal with the bell boys and that's when I changed my mind. :-(
As I was told, I called the bell boys an hour before our scheduled transportation and they said they will send somebody over right away. 30 minutes later - I called again (and again those guys don't speak very good English, but I did repeat over and over the time of our airport transportation). Anyways, he did eventually come and get our luggage, took it to the lobby, and I did tip him (not sure why, really :-/). So when our transportation got there and our luggage was sitting by the bell boys desk, he goes "Do you want to go get your luggage because they're about to leave" :-O Silly me, I thought that's what bell boys do - carry luggage :-( I mean, I don't mind carrying it myself, but all of our party were sitting in the bus so I was basically stuck with 5 or 6 pieces of luggage myself, and the guy saw it. Did I not tip him enough, is that it?
Anyways, other then this, everything was just great. The maid was very nice, our room was always clean, we had flowers and towel animals there every day. The New Years gala buffet was awesome. Food was good, the service in general was way better then what we saw in Riviera Maya.

Room Tip: If you get an Ocean View room - just be aware, you will hear the music the night they have beach par...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TheBeginner
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Stayed in the Hotel for a week at the end of October. Hotel itself isnt brand new as it was built in 1997 and renovated in 2003. You can tell its age although there is a lot of ongoing renovations.
The room weve stayed in was very spacious with balcony overlooking the swimming pool as well as the ocean. Hotels service is top notch from cleaning to dining. Great food and drinks with few a la carte and two main self serve restaurants. Variety of different cusine from local with loads of seafood to thai or mexican.
The main thing that makes this hotel is its staff. Always smiling,singing and entertaining.
The hotel has one of the nicest beaches on that part of the coast. Soft sand, crystal clear water and plenty of sunbeds. Cleaned couple times a day.
I can definitely recommend it to everyone who`s looking for a bit of paradise!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Majkidublin
Reviewed 3 January 2012

it's a good place, not a great place. beach was nice and clean, but crowded. The buffets were tastey but unoriginal. The staff was very fun and energetic. The room was clean, but nothing fancy. We went for our honeymoon, i wish we had spent a some more money and gone to a nicer place.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple