All reviews local bedouin vegetarian food no electricity sunset walk solar panels unique place cooking class bedouin life amazing experience reception area dead sea hot water bottles an eco lodge two nights bedouin tea milky way off road
Reviewed 2 January 2018

Lovely place surrounded by mountains and wadis making a strong effort to provide commerce and tourism to the region in a sustainable manner. Absolutely delicious food. Very kind guides and hosts. Beautiful star gazing at night and good self-guided hikes. Romantic lit by candle light at night.

Beautiful in winter, but probably better stay in spring - more hiking options and blooming veg.

The cons - Very pricey. Could use a little better focus on making sure rooms are well maintained. We had a broken chair in ours. We also wanted greater clarity on the cultural options offered mid-day. Would like a bit higher quality of "lunch box" on the day hike we did.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 December 2017

The good:
The mission: small ecological footprint, local resources. solar energy.
The location: spectacular back country
The staff: some friendly, humorous individuals, relatively efficient, when asked.
The rooms: fairly bare and simple, hard beds, but fine to me. Views of the mountains disappointing, at least from some rooms.

The bad:
Pretty disorganized: receptionist totally useless, had to go back several times to ask questions about very basic things (e.g. the use of hot water bottles: one needs to ask the reception and/or the kitchen to get boiled water)...
Food said to be locally based but felt like school cafeteria food, Tea not kept warm etc...
Unacceptable at this price. Also meals are on a schedule (breakfast 7-9) but lunch at 1pm and dinner at 6pm (announced by a bell, as we were NOT told). Nothing easily available outside of these times: how about hot Bedouin coffee or (the pretty good) tea served on arrival, or snacks, or fresh fruit?
Wifi is super weak, only available at the reception and when it works.

Strong suggestion to get a lift from the local town for an outrageous price when the road is - in my view - perfectly (if slowly and prudently) drivable with an ordinary car (as we in fact witnessed), at least in dry conditions.

Overall worthy mission statement but frankly feels like a moneyed eco tourist trap: if this is meant to be a charity (e.g. to the locals), be upfront about it.

Can't recommend it. But hiking in the Wadis is AWSOME.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Drandtalley
Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Cannot praise this place highly enough and sad we only stayed 1 night. Super friendly local staff, mostly bedouin who live on the reserve. This lodge is to be commended for involving them in sustainable tourism. Healthy vegetarian food. Unique decor - candlelit in evenings except for bathrooms which have solar powered hot water. You can stargaze on the roof with one of the staff (suleiman) who has an Instagram account, walk on your own or go for guided treks. We did a 14k walk down the gorge from Dana guesthouse - also in the reserve. Being Dec it was chilly in the evening but staff gave us hot water bottles and extra blanket. Magical - would like to return in spring for flowers and birds. Lucky we saw the native nubian ibex. Walked amongst sheep and goats and met some bedouin children. Absolutely lovely. Recommend highly and hope to return. Guests were mix of foreign and local (Jordan nationals). Hope this initiative spreads wider. Particularly impressive was no plastic rule. Filter water is always available. All waste is recycled, felt guilty walking in with plastic bottle of water. Despite being in a park there were no flies or mosquitos though room has nets so maybe at other time of year. Very clean. After here we went to totally hideous Holiday Inn at Dead Sea - from heaven to hell. So much waste - food, water and over consumption by large tour groups. And flies everywhere.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

I am writing this having just left the lodge this morning and having loved every second of it.

Imagine a place in a magical setting, surrounded by mountains of all shades of red. Near families tending their herds who have lived there for generations. Where the sun sets bright orange like fresh embers. And the stars (even on a 'cloudy' night!) twinkle so bright it feels like you can touch the Milky Way!

In this place there is a home. It is so perfect in its simplicity, yet feels luxurious in the thoughtful touches put into its design; clay jars with cool water, fresh handmade soaps, an open fire at night, hallways lit with candles, hot water bottles, immaculate cleanliness and delicious and plentiful food.

But above all it is a home because of the wonderful people who work here. I cannot express it enough! The word 'welcome' is lived in every action.

From our ride singing and clapping from the reception center to the lodge, to endless cups of delicious sweet tea, every 'welcome' with a smile, the patience teaching us arabic (we tried!), the beautiful drive on to Petra (stopping at a tomato farm en route!).

Always on time, never rushed.

And the constant learning...we have left so enriched about the area, the country, Bedouin life. And it was always so easy, like talking with many friends. Special shout outs to Suleiman, Whalid and Ali!

All we can say is 'shokran' for wonderful memories and new friends. We will visit again, surely. Hopefully with more friends and family :)

Until then...if you are reading, I wish for you the same beautiful adventure, and like us to find a hole away from home.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chandler B
Reviewed 4 December 2017

After a few days of traipsing around the Jordanian desert, I was ready for some much-needed R&R. My driver couldn't understand why I'd want to go so out of the way for this place, but there were a few reasons. I had never stayed in an ecolodge before and had long wanted the opportunity... how solar power was used, support of the surrounding community, conservation, and how a lodge would function without lighting and typical creature comforts. First, yes, rooms have running water, including hot water, and there is a bathroom light. Phew. Beds were comfortable, and mosquito nets are available if needed. Plastic water bottles aren't kept on the premises, so each room has a clay jar with mineral water for drinking, as well as water refill jugs in the lobby and dining room. I did consume the water, and a week later, so far so good.

As for the food, it was the best I had in Jordan! I didn't even miss meat (all vegetarian menu). I looked forward to mealtime since everything was so fresh and full of flavor.

There were lots of activities, and a calendar in the lobby mapped out the days and times. They do post their activities calendar online, so be sure to check this before booking so you can plan which days to stay, and for how long. Wish I had done this first since I missed out on some things I was interested in. However, I was tired from my trip, and instead of joining the sunset hike, I joined the staff in lighting the candles in the lodge. I was traveling alone and the staff seemed eager to help me feel comfortable. I'm comfortable alone and not used to the attention, but I appreciated their kindness nonetheless.

The older Bedouin driver to returned me back to reception was a nice guy, and we exchanged basic words in Arabic and English to have some sort of friendly "conversation." He was so proud of his new 4x4 truck, he still kept the bubble wrap on the handles and shifter, and kept wiping down his dashboard of dust.

You may want to bring along a headlamp or small flashlight, because although the candles provide a lovely glow, it's not enough for trying to unlock your door or navigate your room. I found my small headlamp immensely useful here.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo